GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First I want to say . . BROVO to GM, finally they have a chance to get back on top in both design and innovation! I personally have been a GM lover for 40 years and sat back and watched the others pass by, and it hurt. It’s great to feel proud again to be a GM fan!

Secondly, I have said for years that if somebody could just make an electric car that we would actually want to be seen in and get excited about, the public would buy it, including myself! Well, GM has done it and done it first.

I think the only turnoff (for me) of the Volt is the hassle of the cord and plug concept, I just want to drive it!

My suggestion to GM is this . . . Get rid of the Plug! . . . . the way to do this is with induction!

Funny that the Tesla Electric car folks didn’t think of this as Nikola Tesla invented induction? Many of us have an electric toothbrush that when we are finished we just set it back on the holder. If you go take a close look, you will see no contacts. This is because the batteries inside the toothbrush are charged by induction. GM needs to advance their design and get rid of the plug by utilizing induction charging.

A simple design of a Park Charging Mat (PCM) that would be placed on the floor of the garage would align the induction. You would pull into the garage and be guided by the alignment screen on the dash. Guiding you left or right if you are not inline is all that would be needed. A wheel bumper-type apparatus with the PCM would plug into a 110 or 220 AC outlet to power the PCM. The bumper would align you automatically in the forward direction so you only need to get alignment close from left to right. Even grandpa & grandma could do it!

Of coarse the Plug still needs to be there but just as a secondary means of charging. I am guessing if GM likes my idea they will offer it as an option and at a cost . . . . that's okay with me.

I can see in the future, selected parking spots having a PCM. I can see solar energy used to assist powering the PCM concept. I see a PCM station to charge your Volt along the way . . and you never need to get out of the car! How about setting at the light while your Volt is over a PCM charging!

The bottom line is, the Volt is the best alternative, for now . . . . it’s certainly got my support!

And yes, a patent is in the works.

·
Registered
695 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
QUOTE "The EV-1 had an inductive charger."

Yes, I am aware of the charging "Port" but it's still a "Cord & Plugs" concept! The induction concept doesn't require the driver to do anything but align the car within the induction area. Just park it and go in the house!

·
Registered
190 Posts
This would be a far future item, but could you also bury such induction loops under the roads, and be able to charge a fast moving vehicle? With an id exchanged, it could free everyone from having to charge batteries, you'd just get some extra items in your electricity bill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, Better Place is the system in my suggestion, its Patent Pending!

The change-out concept will dictate vehicle design. When battery technology advances (which it will) and the size and placement of the cell is more strategic will this concept be more feasible. For now the concentration is on charging, not replacing.

As for the strips in the roads, this is not feasible. There are too many problems with this concept and weather would play a big part in that. Short spans at intersections would work better and be much more cost effective and manageable. People won’t be so annoyed sitting at a red light if they need a bit more juice to make it to work or home, they will actually hope the light stays red longer. When you sit over a charging area you would either accept the charge or not as you will naturally be billed for it. Managing your battery will be just like managing fuel, to get home you might only need a partial charge.

I think members can see induction is the way to go here, not the cord & plug. The technology has been around for years and it's about time we start using it. You will see in the very near future no need to plug anything in to charge it. Pad charging is on it's way, a pad that will charge your cell phone, PDA, iPod, or any device with the universal induction system, all you do is set it on the pad. One major hotel chain is already implementing this system into their nightstands, so get ready for the "No-Plug" world, I can’t wait!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts