GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It occurred to me that I don't see a lot of Volt's on the road where I live (So. IN, near Louisville, KY). So I thought maybe we could use this to share experiences, locations of favorable charging stations, etc.

Just a thought. Interested? Anyone using Onstar?

·
Registered
906 Posts
seems like in any of the smaller towns charging stations are non existent.. while many people dont use public chargers.. I think their very existence helps to drive up sales...
-Christopher

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seems like in any of the smaller towns charging stations are non existent.. while many people dont use public chargers.. I think their very existence helps to drive up sales...
-Christopher
I've read on other threads that out west of us, Utilities have set up free charging on the street/garages just to encourage the EV sales.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I live in Brown County, Indiana. No public charging stations, of course. But it's a great place to live.

That's not a problem for me. Don't have to commute to work, as I work via the Internet from my log cabin. Except for the occasional trip to the airport at Indianapolis to pick up visitors, most trips don't require burning gas. I can usually visit the nearby towns of Bloomington or Columbus and return, on battery power.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I think public chargers may provide a psychological benefit to encourage purchases, but they are mostly expensive ornaments. I've never used one and don't intend to unless it's free to use and just happens to be conveniently located to a place I'm going to spend some time. All of my charging is safely handled by a L2 charger at home and the stock EVSE at work. I can also plug my stock EVSE into any random outlet when the opportunity presents itself, which happens just about never...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just saw this thread had a couple of other Hoosiers in it. I live in Bloomington, and just picked up my Volt this past Wednesday. Unbelievable car, especially with the discounts and rebates offered currently. I've only seen 2 other Volts (one black, one blue) in Bloomington... kind of surprising for a liberal college town! But now there are at least 3 counting my black one.

I'm a little disappointed there aren't more charging stations on the IU campus (my employer). I think I heard there may be one at the UITS building, but I'm not aware of any others so far. If you guys are ever in or around Bloomington, shoot me a message and we can compare Volt notes or something :p

·
Registered
311 Posts
There are about a half dozen Volters here in Lafayette, IN that I know of. We have free chargers at the mall, Chevrolet and Nissan dealers, downtown parking garage, and a few, (permit required), units on the campus of Purdue. Green Week (Purdue student run event), this fall will have another alternative energy transportation expo. Expect to see an airplane running on Swift fuel (local), Purdue Solar Racing club with their car, City Bus and Coca Cola with their hybrids, Ivy Tech students show off their latest creation (last year a pickup with 30 12v car batteries), and some locally owned Volts, Think City's, Prius plugin, Tesla's, and something from the local dealers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts