GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the 2012 Volt 11-30-11 and since then my average kw's per day went from 54kw daily to 162 kw daily. This is a 108kw increase per day..I am using the 110v charger. is the problem my charger or is it constantly pulling electricity ..the cars storage temp. is about 40 Deg F. average..I would appreciate any knowlage on this..P.S. there has been some talk on electric rates..Last month I used 4689 Kw's and my tatal bill = 400.42 do the math and this months cost is $0.0854 per Kw. for Winter. Summer rates go up about $0.025 more. In Nebraska. More math is telling me thay its costing me about $ 9.22 a day to drive 15 miles. something is wrong..

·
Registered
218 Posts
A full charge takes about 13.6 kW. How many times per day do you charge it? Something is clearly wrong.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
You need a Kill a Volt, or some other monitor, to figure out what your problem is. It is literally impossible for 110v charging of the Volt to result in your 100+ kwh/day. You could only provide 2 FULL charges in a day. Don't blame your Volt.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Even if the Volt used all available energy ( 15 amps ) that would only add 43kw day as that's the most the volt can pull if it was charging 24/7 which it never will.

Since your bill increased 108kw day, its impossible to be from the circuit the Volt is plugged into

The only things that can pull that type of energy in a house is a well pump running none stop or resistive electric heating for the house

A cheap DVM with clamp on amp meter will tell in in less than 5 minutes what is using the energy, if your into do it yourself or an electrician can do the same thing and find the load running up your bill

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLAMP-ON-DI...lectrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item2a168e1c90

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Do you have electric baseboard heating somewhere in the house that got turned up but forgotten about? Any new activity like relatives staying over using more hot water? Henry reminds me of my situation. My 220V well pump was going bad and drawing 20A when it ran. After replacement, our power bill went *way* down.

Your numbers do not add up but possibly the electric company did an estimated reading for you off your December reading and not an actual reading from the meter.

Anyone over 100kWh per day is generally using a "lot" of electricity. I've weened our family down to about 1100 kWh/month now where we had been up to nearly 1800/month in the past without conservation actions. No Volt here (yet) but all Volt owners plugging in once a day and doing a 13-14kWh recharge have shown that this should result in about 400kWh/month if you really do a full charge daily.

Like flmark says - get a Kill a Watt unit from eBay (about $15) and plug in the Volt through it to record its kWh usage.

Another baddie in terms of power usage are refrigerator(s) - at least 100kWh/month if coils are not kept clean. If something goes wrong with one of them, it can add-up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered 2 of them .. It would be nice to exclude the car from this... But I need proof to satisfy myself and my wife

·
Registered
882 Posts
There must be a problem ! Partial Volt charging like your 15 miles a day would probably cost no more than 12.00 for an entire month for me. Now, let me brag a little bit.....my TOTAL electric bill for the previous month in my modest 4 bedroom home, with a swimming pool filtration pump that runs several hours everyday AND the VOLT plugged in every day was 59.79 !! Not bad what some energy conservation like CF bulb replacements can do ! Once summer comes back the AC will be back on and the bill will increase somewhat. Winter down here is wonderful.....but, my HIGHEST bill last year was during peak summer with AC running all the time AND the pool pump run time increased was still only 131.68 !

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I ordered 2 of them .. It would be nice to exclude the car from this... But I need proof to satisfy myself and my wife
Then get an electrician to find where the energy is going.

You can do it yourself with the clamp on meter I linked, you can also watch the meter disc spin and turn off one circuit breaker at a time and see which one makes the meter spin the most

Its physically impossible for a 110 circuit to provided that much energy in a month, it would trigger the breaker.

·
4,874 Posts
There is no way that's the Volt. Houses in the winter use more energy, to blow fans for forced air heat, or electric heat, etc. etc. how does your last month of energy use compare to the same month last year?

You said you got the Volt in November, and that's right around when a home heating system will start using a lot more energy for the winter season.

As others have mentioned, it's physically impossible for that increase to be the Volt, the circuit breaker in your house would trip. And even if the Volt did draw full power for 24 hours straight (which it never would) that still doesn't explain your huge increase. Perhaps as others have mentioned, you have a sump pump constantly running due to a stuck check valve, or it's just additional electricity for winter heating,

As an aside, 50kWh a day seems like an awful lot to begin with. I use 600kWh monthly after adding my Volt. At 50kWh per day without a volt, you're pushing 1500kWh monthly which seems a bit much.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
If the OP heat by resistive electric, it could easily be this much, typically is 20-30k elements in a typical air-handler. On other home improvement message boards its real common to see posts for the Midwest home owners to heat with Electric and huge bills, I've seen some report 2X this amount for small poorly insulated homes that use resistive electric heat

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
its a digital meter.. i like that idea thank you

The way it works is you pull the cover off your breaker panel and one breaker at a time, clamp around the one wire going to the breaker. Its either your heat or well pump, nothing else can pull that type of energy

·
Registered
438 Posts
I drive my Volt a lot. In fact I use every mile I am alloted under the lease and then some. The car even then (1000-1200 miles a month) only uses about 230kwh for the entire month! Even with my L2 (240V) charger I can only charge at 3.3kwh per hour. So there is no way for your car to be pulling 100+kwh a day. I also pre-heat my car every morning for 20 minutes.

I agree with the others that your base usage seems pretty high. Granted we conserve electricity around our house, but our usage is 37kwh/day with the Volt included. So in my mind something is seriously leaching electricity in your house, or you have a neighbor stealing your power. I have never had a heat pump, so unsure what those even do. I just can't fathom using that much power.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Northwest, Midwest, Tennessee Valley its was the normal building practice to heat by resistive heating. Home were built when the kWr rates were in the 2-3 cents kWh thanks to Hydro as the primary source of electricity, so even with 4mWh usages, its 100 dollars.

Also, builders like it as its the lowest cost heating system to install. Heat pumps are another thing all together and with today's high efficiency systems, they are the lowest cost for heating except natural gas

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
There is NO WAY for a Volt or a 120 holy charger can use 108 kWH per day. (Nor even 2 Volts.)

One thing to consider is... Your Power meter is Broken? Your Power utility has you confused with another customer's bill? You need to demand an audit from your power utility. They are clearly mistaken.

Even if you drain the Volt's battery 100% every day the most it can draw to recharge is about 13 kWH.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The Volt won't use more than 14 kWh per day. But are you sure your numbers are right? 54 kWh/day is an unusually large amount. Unless you have a marijuana or server farm it's hard to see how you would be using over 150 kWh/day. As a comparative data point, we use roughly 400 kWh per month for a 2500 square foot house. That's probably low because of a mild climate but we still turn on the lights and the TV and we're still running the refrigerator.

Some sleuthing would be in order. No doubt someone from Fox will be contacting you in order to do a story about how much the Volt really costs to run!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Some folks here in Ottawa, when their old meters were replaced with new digital ones were shocked to discover the old ones were not working correctly and massively under-reporting their usage. Some by massive amounts.

If you've had your meter replaced (or even if not) ensure it's working correctly.

Also, do a bit of arithmetic as to what may be pulling up the electrical bill. And compare it to last year, if all other things other than the Volt are equal.

Here in Ottawa we heat with natural gas so I was able to easily see the bump in cost for charging the Volt every day: $25/month (about 10kW/day -- we charge daily).

As others have indicated, there's no way the Volt can draw that much. It's physically impossible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In Dec =4425 Kwh......Jan 12 =5438 Kwh......Feb 12 =4689 Kwh
1 Year ago In Dec =1474 Kwh......Jan 11 =2825 Kwh......Feb 11 =2748 Kwh and according to our elect. Co. the average temp is 5 Deg warmer this year...agree its not the car ..thanks for the help I think I have it isolated and its not in the garage..thank you

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Ithanks for the help I think I have it isolated and its not in the garage..thank you
When you know for sure, it would be great if you post a follow up, otherwise, your thread claiming it cost 9 dollars a day for 15 miles will be front page news on the drudge report or Rush's opening piece on Monday Morning proclaiming the production shutdown is due to the lie of what the Volt uses for electricity

1 - 20 of 33 Posts