GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, after a week of ownership I guess this is my first complaint about my 2017 Volt which, overall, I really like.

I've noticed a lot of inconsistencies in how the car reacts on "first interactions". For example, today for the first time, it didn't make the usual electronic spool-up sound when I pressed the start button to start it up. Every other time (except today), I've heard it. Thought the volume might be down but the next time I started it, it made the sound again normally.

And sometimes when I enter the vehicle, the dash lights up before I even press anything and it makes that sort of "Windows startup" type jingle. Sometimes it doesn't.

And it is out in the garage charging so I went out just now and opened the door expecting the dash to come on and display the "charge completed by" time as it always has. Nothing. The power button blinked but the center display didn't come on as it always has before while charging. No key in my pocket: as usual. Just decided not to display anything this time. I shut the door and THEN it decides to make that startup jingle, it displayed Chevrolet, and then faded out. Opened the door again and this time it displayed the "charge completed by" time and the range that I expected to see the first time I opened the door. It doesn't seem time related either as it has been a few hours since I checked on it: same scenario as before when it has always displayed the charge time and range just by opening the door.

Has anyone else found something similar? It just doesn't seem to be consistent. Could there be something wrong with mine? Common complaint? Or something I'm doing wrong or have false expectations?

Thanks from (as the forum correctly states), a Newb :)
Mike

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, at about 6:30pm it said charge completed by 7:30pm and it indicated 47 miles of range. I just went out at 8:30pm figuring it'd be done but now it says charge completed by 8:45pm and the range has gone down to 44 miles.

Could this be an indication that the battery is having problems? Or am I just not used to the readings being screwy and this is normal?

Mike

·
Registered
790 Posts
Is it possible that when you went out earlier you inadvertently started the car and left it on in your garage? Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha, no. :) I don't have the fob when I walk out there. I just open the door and let the center display light up in order to read the stats, then close the door.

Mike

·
Registered
122 Posts
Depending on how long it's been since the car was on, since a door was opened, or since the car 'saw' a key fob nearby, the computer will go into various levels of sleep. I think this is what's happening.

And I've noticed on my gen 1 the occasionally, they seem to take longer to recover from these low power states. I think this very occasional variable recovery time is a bit peculiar, but I kept track of it enough to notice trends, or what it may relate to. I don't see it an an indication of a problem.

-Lumos
2014 gen1

·
Registered
788 Posts
There may be inconsistencies in mine too, but these displays/behaviors are not important to me so I don't pay a lot of attention. I did notice something odd yesterday though.

My car was still charging when I unplugged it. Not unusual. When I got in and sat down, nothing lit up! Not even the power button. I said to myself, uh oh. I put my foot on the brake, pushed power, and it started. Good. After looking at the battery level, all the pips were lit. I suspect the car was in its final stages of charging and the software was doing some final cleanup tasks when I interrupted it.

All software has bugs. Especially new software.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Yes, the Volt computers do seem to be busy with other things at times (or sleeping). The one that I think is the most odd is that the door won't lock immediately after closing. It needs about 2 seconds after the door closes to be ready to lock.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
It's normal.
Volt owners get accustomed to jumping in and go immediately.
Sometimes you're faster than all the computers and systems can boot up, if they were in deep sleep or otherwise occupied with standby tasks.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Noticed another anomaly recently (2017 LT). When I get in, if I immediately put my foot on the brake and press the start button just after closing the door, I get the lawyer message about paying attention or I'll kill someone: I have to dismiss that or it stays on forever, blocking the screen.

If I instead let the little animation/sound play out after closing the door and THEN press the start button, I don't get that message at all. Not sure why waiting for the "boot sequence jingle" for 5 seconds should determine whether or not that disclaimer displays.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts