GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an almost no-cost improvement: for some reason, there is only one recessed hole that provides a place for your hand to grasp when shutting the hatchback on my 2017 Volt, and that hole is on the right. Why not provide the same hole on the left side of the hatchback as well, so that left-handed folks can easily shut the hatchback too?

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
so that left-handed folks can easily shut the hatchback too?
Seems like a good idea. There is still a lingering bias against sinister (a.k.a. left-handed) people vs. dexter (right-handed) people.

"A lot of prejudice against left-handed people stems from fear and superstition.

In Christian society, the left-hand side has long been associated with evil and the works of the Devil. Among the references most often cited are the belief that God created women from Adam's left rib; the common portrayal of Satan in paintings and illustrations as being left-handed; and the association of Lucifer (the fallen Angel synonymous with the Devil) with the left-hand side of God.

The Romans believed that evil lurked behind your left shoulder (hence the superstition of throwing salt, then a highly-prized item, over your left shoulder to ward off bad luck) while, in medieval times, being left-handed was commonly taken as proof of being a witch.

Such negative connotations are evident in the modern English meanings of the Latin for 'left' and 'left hand' - sinister, meaning 'evil' or 'threatening' - and the French gauche, meaning awkward and clumsy."

https://www.quora.com/Handedness-Why-was-there-prejudice-against-left-handed-people

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
It seems like one of those things that should be done as a matter of thoughtful design..

My wife and daughter are both left-handed. Much of my house is set up for them, so I find out in little ways what it is to be 'opposite-handed'.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Regardless of handed-ness it seems like something that is easy to adjust to. I open my driver's door with my left hand and passenger side with my right. It doesn't take great skill or anything so handed-ness won't really matter. It would be nice for convenience in case you are holding something in your right hand. I have had to shuffle hands in order to free my right to close it.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Or, just delete it, even cheaper. ;)

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The single grab handle is close to the center and I can reach it with either hand. I can also operate the turn signal and headlight switch with my non-dominant hand. These things are not a big deal.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Before any change can be made, we need to perform much research and conduct focus groups. As a contributing forum member, I will for the next month shut my hatch with my left hand. I will then submit a report here of my findings.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Before any change can be made, we need to perform much research and conduct focus groups. As a contributing forum member, I will for the next month shut my hatch with my left hand. I will then submit a report here of my findings.
We appreciate the sacrifice.

(Now if we could just get power meter -kW readings for coasting in D, L, and paddle braking at a couple of speeds...)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The single grab handle is close to the center and I can reach it with either hand. I can also operate the turn signal and headlight switch with my non-dominant hand. These things are not a big deal.
No, not a big deal at all - that's the point. It is a very small thing that will make a difference to some people and not be noticed by others. Why not do it?

My Volt came with a complex and troublesome mechanism to remotely open the charge port cover. What we are talking about here is a second hole in the tailgate.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The fact that there is a grab handle at all is a luxury. Most of the cars I have owned, several of them hatch backs, have had no grab handle at all. If you had two, some bean counter at GM would figure out each one adds x ounces to the car, and x cents to the manufacturing cost and warranty liability, and added up across the entire production run, it turns out they could have bought some executive a trip to Bimini with that sum. And it didn't get them a single extra sale. And some ergonomics expert will conclude that left handed people liked it better the way it was because when they lift their package out of the trunk, it is in their left hand, leaving only their right hand free to close the hatch.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Here's an almost no-cost improvement: for some reason, there is only one recessed hole that provides a place for your hand to grasp when shutting the hatchback on my 2017 Volt, and that hole is on the right. Why not provide the same hole on the left side of the hatchback as well, so that left-handed folks can easily shut the hatchback too?
I agree. This is definitely needed. I've only had my 2017 two weeks, but it seems awkward every time I close the hatchback.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree. This is definitely needed. I've only had my 2017 two weeks, but it seems awkward every time I close the hatchback.
To quote Rocky Horror, just take "a step to the right".

·
Registered
110 Posts
To quote Rocky Horror, just take "a step to the right".
Duh! Light buib went on. I found the handle today and used it several times. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I frequently find myself scratching at the plastic only to realize that I'm on the wrong side. I can't say that it's a dealbreaker though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts