GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating leasing a volt this weekend. Any idea A) what the incentives will be after Sept. 4 for 2012 and/or 2013 volts? B) whether the 2012 incentives will be any worse than current ones after sept 4. Even if you don't know for sure, any rumors?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have no inside information, but I don't think you will see much after the September deadline. Could be wrong and I hope I am.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If there are still a bunch of 2012's why would they stop the incentives? Just wondering the logic...
I don't particularly watch the industry, but it sounds to me like the current incentives are already on the level of model-year-end clearance deals. It's possible (probable?) that any new incentives will depend on whether there are still a lot of 2012s - plus, stuff like quotas and bonuses for dealers might reset, reducing your negotiating leverage. (My guess is that they might just "extend" the current incentives until the 2012s all sell out, unless it becomes obvious that the incentives are not enough. But with all the posts indicating new owners, it sure seems like the sales are still chugging along....)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
In my experience , they usually run incentives in July , August and late September seems to be a mix blessing because inventory seems to be scarce on the previous years model . Of course every model is different and many factors come into play .

I think it might be hard to find 2012's in October unless your not picky about color and options .

·
Registered
847 Posts
I am contemplating leasing a volt this weekend. Any idea A) what the incentives will be after Sept. 4 for 2012 and/or 2013 volts? B) whether the 2012 incentives will be any worse than current ones after sept 4. Even if you don't know for sure, any rumors?
Lease NOW.

It doesn't matter what the incentives are after Sept. 4. Why? Because a handful of dealers are getting $2,500 off per Volt and passing that on to the customer (and a few more are getting that and pocketing it), based on selling triple their quota. That ends any day now. It is extremely unlikely that GM will offer anything close to that.

If you wait a week or two, you may end up paying $2,000+ more than you would today.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Lease NOW.... Because a handful of dealers are getting $2,500 off per Volt and passing that on to the customer.......wait a week or two, you may end up paying $2,000+ more than you would today.

Because the same $2,500 applies to purchases, with specific dealers, your argument is a moot point. With inventories of the 2013's rising so much in August, I wouldn't be surprised if deals continue. As mentioned, '12's may get scarse.

Leasing, even if all-in sub $300 per mo., starts to make less sence for the same reasons it always does.
-you get to pay sales tax all over again after 2-3 years
-If you tend to own for 5-6 years, you should add initial depreciation of the second car as a cost of leasing. Because it will be a lot more for your next car, after the lease expires, than it will be for owning a 3 year old Volt a couple more years.
-Above said, there is no better insurance against surprisingly low future market values, than leasing.
-I think being unable to capture the $7,500 tax credit almost unquestionably favors leasing.

Everybody's math is different.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Because the same $2,500 applies to purchases, with specific dealers, your argument is a moot point. With inventories of the 2013's rising so much in August, I wouldn't be surprised if deals continue. As mentioned, '12's may get scarse.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Yes, the $2,500 applies to certain dealers only, which makes it impossible for most dealers to match. But you can have the car shipped (which makes economic sense for $500-$1000, if you save $2,500 over the local dealer).

No matter how badly a local dealer wants to get rid of a Volt, it is hard to imagine them selling it for $2,000 or so less than what they paid for it. Remember, in a week or so, those $2,500-below-invoice deals are gone, so the people that were buying across the country are now likely to buy local. I know I would buy local over a faraway dealer that got great reviews here if the price was similar, and I didn't mind the local dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts