GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you live in the Connecticut Light & Power service area, you can recharge your Volt -- and power the rest of your home -- with 100% renewable energy sources (wind and solar) for just 24 cents a day more than your regular power bill. What you do is authorize CL&P to purchase renewable power at a small premium, either $3.50 per month for 1/2 renewable, or $7.50 per month for 100% renewable.

http://ctcleanenergyoptions.com/index.htm

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
That's way cheaper than my electricity provider. NC GreenPower option is $4/100kWh. So for my average bill it would be around $50 ($37 to $110 during the year).

On the bright side, it is tax deductible.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The CL&P surcharge amount can vary, too, by the way. It comes to about about $1 per KWh per month.

·
Registered
484 Posts
LIPA has a program too. The best deal seems to be 1.3-2.5 cents per kWh, on either all or half of your bill. I think I'm signing up!
(A dollar per kWh per month, arveedee? Yikes...)

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Man you guys are paying through the nose. Here they pass on an averaged actual cost of the increase. Last year it was $.20/100kw, then .10/100kw, and they are dropping it again so now it will be about $.10 for my whole bill (about 400kWr).

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The price of solar keeps getting lower and lower
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/47043457/ns/business-going_green/
Our FL home (7kw) and business (13kw) are solarized, but I am paying the voluntary amount to purchase wind power for our NY home. However, I hope to put in geothermal and then solar in NY as soon as possible. While the surcharges are fairly cheap, I just don't have a warm fuzzy on sticking money into a fund that is then allegedly used to buy renewable. In FL, my utility FP&L had a 'Sunshine Fund' that was supposed to be used for renewables, but turned out to be one big lie. I no longer trust others to spend my renewable dollars. And with solar panels on MY roof, it is MY home's value that benefits (besides saving dollars on energy).
Go renewable!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not too worried about CL&P directing my surcharge toward renewable energy. After their monumental failures during two recent storms, they're very much in the eye of the state authorities these days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts