GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm comfortable with them delivering to my place of work, like they have for the last 15 years.

·
Registered
561 Posts
This is pretty cool. I'm not sure if I trust the delivery guy with the key to my car though.
I'm not sure if I trust the delivery guy with the key to my car though.
< This is what makes it NOT cool.

Nice that they are giving this a shot, but it seems that OnStar and Amazon haven't given any thought to the 101 things that can go wrong with the delivery evolution. (For the consumer or the driver.)

Maybe this is really just for suburbsanites? ...who park in the driveway all the time? ...and don't need their new car during the day?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
They don't technically have the key to your car. The car gets an unlock signal through OnStar to allow the delivery person to open the trunk. The car is then locked again after delivery. The delivery person can't drive the car. However, I assume the delivery person could have access to whatever else is inside the car, so don't leave a bucket of cash in the trunk.

An interesting part of this is how the delivery person finds the car. As I understand it, the car doesn't have to be left in your driveway all day. The car does need to be stationary during the delivery window time frame, which I think is about 4 hours. And within 2 blocks of the the delivery location you specified. The GPS location is transmitted by OnStar to the delivery company, so they know where to go. This won't work in a parking deck or underground parking facility. And the car needs to be in an accessible area and not behind a locked fence or inside a closed garage.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They can't even find my house (they usually call asking me were I live while they are 50 feet away) how the heck are they going to find my car?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They can't even find my house (they usually call asking me were I live while they are 50 feet away) how the heck are they going to find my car?
lol, great question! I am never letting anyone getting a private tour to my car or the house.

I feel it is just a matter of time before some big lawsuits happen with this amazon having access to your properties. Like "Our system has been hecked and the thieves get the private keys to your car and house. They put stuffs from your house into your car and drove away. We apologize for the inconvenience that may have caused you. We are here to help."

I know it's a bit dramatic, but you never know.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
lol, great question! I am never letting anyone getting a private tour to my car or the house.

I feel it is just a matter of time before some big lawsuits happen with this amazon having access to your properties. Like "Our system has been hecked and the thieves get the private keys to your car and house. They put stuffs from your house into your car and drove away. We apologize for the inconvenience that may have caused you. We are here to help."

I know it's a bit dramatic, but you never know.
This is all temporary. Apartments and neighborhoods are already being reconfigured to accommodate coded drop box locations. Amazon likes this better anyway because the last mile in delivery is always the most costly.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Living in the suburbs, I would not want to do this. But living in the city just under a year ago, this could have been a good option. I usually didn't get home from work until 7 or so at night, and had several (4+) packages swiped while sitting on the front step. Amazon was always good about it, but I can't imagine the cost to insure that or absorb the replacement cost writ large.

This makes a lot more sense for Amazon. Now their photo confirmation of deliveries actually accomplishes something. If something goes wrong in the house or car, the delivery person can be held accountable.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I don't have much of a problem with in car deliveries. I do think that in home deliveries are a concern because of the possibility of someone going inside and hurting a resident. It would be better if it were just access to a garage.

It seems to me that the simple solution is to put a container on your front porch for the deliveries to go inside. Ideally it is lockable, but even if unlocked it would make the packages invisible from the street, so that alone would make them less likely to be stolen. This thing could even look like a bench or some other decorative element.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems to me that the simple solution is to put a container on your front porch for the deliveries to go inside. Ideally it is lockable, but even if unlocked it would make the packages invisible from the street, so that alone would make them less likely to be stolen. This thing could even look like a bench or some other decorative element.
Surveillance cameras have shown that the thieves follow the delivery vans around and if no one gets the package they are there with in minutes. They know where and when the package is delivered.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe this is really just for suburbsanites? ...who park in the driveway all the time? ...and don't need their new car during the day?
Amazon Locker works great but you still have to drive to the locker location to pick up the package. Online shopping doesn't work for people who live in the city or unsafe neighborhoods without access to the on-site lock box. If the workplace doesn't allow personal package delivery, that means no online shopping.

Sometime, it's the weather. Many time during the rainy season, I have to run home to pick up my packages because the delivery guy left them in the rain. One time, UPS left my $1k monitor outside while it was raining. If the delivery guy just carried it 2 more steps, he could put it under the shade where it wouldn't get wet. Just lazy I guess.

With this service, I can tell Amazon to deliver to the car at work. This solves the problems with package thief, weather and driving to the Amazon Locker (not an easy thing in big cities with horrible traffic jam.)

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Amazon Locker works great but you still have to drive to the locker location to pick up the package. Online shopping doesn't work for people who live in the city or unsafe neighborhoods without access to the on-site lock box. If the workplace doesn't allow personal package delivery, that means no online shopping.
I'm not sure how that follows. Most of the locker locations are in stores anyway: Boston Store, Whole Foods, 7-11 and Open Pantry convenience stores, etc. You probably need milk or potatoes anyway, right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts