GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Volt. Yesterday while my wife was driving the car, the fan system suddenly went to full blast and all controls for the fan went dead. The car still ran. My wife drove the car into the garage and called me out before turning the car off. The fan controls on the right side of the centre stack did nothing. The controls that come up on the screen when you press the "Climate" button also did nothing. In fact, they were dimmed. There was no control over where you wanted the heat to go -- e.g.: feet, windshield, etc. I could adjust the temperature up or down. I turned the car off and then restarted and everything was fine. The controls that had been dimmed, were back to normal. This morning everything appeared normal when my wife left on an errand. My advisor at the dealership has heard nothing about such an issue. Has anyone else experienced this or anything similar?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Maybe not exactly what you're describing but I believe we've had reports of the climate system going wild or just not working and then returning to normal at some later point in time. In summer it was having the screen go all weird and then returning to normal.

But nothing consistent and nothing that can be reproduced ....

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I have had my climate control screen lock up and stop responding to button presses. (The fan did not change speed.) Turning the car off and back on fixed it. Only happened twice in 18 months of ownership.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Curious if you leave Auto Defog turned on?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Been there, done that

image.jpg image.jpg

On my 2011 Volt I've had both the fan down and fan up buttons grayed out and inactive several times. When it would happen the corresponding physical panel button would also be inactive.

It happened twice recently so I finally took it to the dealer. On the trip there I got "lucky" and arrived with the fan up button grayed out. The tech could not reproduce the problem the next day but they decided to replace the climate control computer.

This also happened once on our week-old 2013 Volt as well but we haven't seen it happen again. We had a different issue and they installed a software upgrade they claimed addressed 150 problems so perhaps that was one of them!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've had a couple grayed out climate experiences with my 2013.. We think we (my wife) may have have been eagerly pressing heat buttons during start up. Both times everything was back to normal the next morning.
Also, noticed in fall when the sun would be shining on the dash at quitting time, the icons in the dash would do the funky chicken.
I parked facing the opposite direction & that seemed to fix that problem.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Also, noticed in fall when the sun would be shining on the dash at quitting time, the icons in the dash would do the funky chicken.
I parked facing the opposite direction & that seemed to fix that problem.
that sounds like a pretty big deal. Heat from the sun making the dash go haywire? I'd get the dealer looking at that. Somethings not right.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I had a simular problem in that I could not change the climate mode to front / leg, the other three modes worked fine.

A restart/reboot corrected the problem.

·
4,872 Posts
It's not heat. It's not a hardware problem. It is a software bug.
I think he was referring to the person above who posted that they moved their car so the sun wasn't beating down on the controls, which then solved their particular problem. Unless the software bug just wanted him to rotate his car. ;)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I think he was referring to the person above who posted that they moved their car so the sun wasn't beating down on the controls, which then solved their particular problem. Unless the software bug just wanted him to rotate his car. ;)
Yes, sorry if that was confusing!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've had one case where I've noticed locked out features of the climate control in my 2012, and it was after a few months of ownership.

The time I remember the best was when one of the four air direction soft-buttons would not engage. It was the one for dash+footwell air direction, for what it's worth. The button was grayed out at all, and when I pushed it, it would invert as normal and I think it made a click as well, but when released it would not be selected, and whatever previous mode was active would remain active.

I called OnStar right from the road just to get a timestamp etc. They didn't really have anything to say about it besides suggesting cycling power to the center stack. I did this and it had no effect.

Eventually I pulled to the shoulder and turned the car off and then on, and everything was fine. Nothing like this since though.
-Arthur

·
Registered
178 Posts
Picked my son up from College yesterday and on the way home I noticed that it was going to be close to having an all electric drive. I tried turning the fan down and noticed that it was dimmed out. (I think that it's a poor design to have to continually press the fan down button to turn the system off by the way!) We could turn the fan up but not down. We could change the temperature all of the other buttons seem to work correctly. Because we kept testing the fan "up" button the fan was running full tilt. I switch the to "Climate" and was able to have the system lower the fan automatically. We manage to make it home without the "Range Extender" coming on. Once we got home turning the car off and back on seemed to have cleared the issue. Will keep you posted... First issue I have had! (Love the car... we have had it since late April 2012!)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I've had one case where I've noticed locked out features of the climate control in my 2012...turned the car off and then on, and everything was fine...
This happens to me aprox once every two weeks, usually while trying to cycle off the defogger (because stuck at 100% it sucks down some serious kHw/range) same workaround

Software bug? Worth getting fixed?? Did Microsoft contribute any code??!

·
Registered
718 Posts
same happens to me.. when it grey out on the screen, you cant use the bottoms either.

also center stacks reboots while driving

1 - 15 of 15 Posts