GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to go kick some tires on the new 2019s to see what's different. For anyone with a Gen 2 thinking about stepping up, I thought I would share my impressions. I didn't leave feeling like I "had" to have it. Less profound changes overall.

I'll first say that the dealership was great--no pressure, easy to work with, no blank faces when talking about the operation of the Volt. They knew enough about them, which is sometimes unusual.

The Volt was Pacific Blue with the Porcelain Blue interior. Sharp looking--although I prefer the Kinetic Blue. I'll start with the impressions of each area:

PLUSES
Clean display--more simple. Still provides all the same useful information. I'm not familiar enough with the Infotainment 3 to give a verdict since I was still getting to know it. I did NOT notice anything significantly changed with the energy app compared to the earlier Gen 2s besides the layout. However, there was a lot I didn't get through.
Climate controls altered slightly to allow easier logical use.
Power seat always good, of course the faster charging.
Had garage door opener installed as a "dealer option" (for like $400 which is crazy).
NAV had the Bolt EV "range prediction" feature. I didn't use it, but looked possibly useful.

SEATS
Could just be the breaking in, but the seats felt more stiff/less comfortable. I sense that would change over time since this car had virtually no use (it was in the showroom).
While a power seat is always nice, I was underwhelmed with the lumbar support--I prefer to be able to adjust it up/down and to me it felt more "subtle" than other power seats with lumbar support I've used. It was certainly better than nothing, but a 2-way lumbar support is just limited overall.

DRIVING
The steering was even more boosted for low speeds than my 2017. I didn't think it could get more, but it was. It tightened up at speed, but the steering felt very removed from the road. However, body roll felt fairly controlled. Too limited of a test drive to give a fair verdict though.
Regen was definitely BETTER (i.e. stronger). Almost a complete rapid stop in LOW. I couldn't notice a difference with the paddle, although GM claims they improved it. I would need more time behind the wheel.
I didn't have enough speed to see if the regen was still maxed at 50-60 kW.
My goal was to see if LOW was any smoother. Definitely not. For whatever reason, I found the Gen 1 LOW gear to have the best programming overall (although also had less regen). I still couldn't get it to "coast" in LOW like I could in the Gen 1. Just a personal preference.
Sport mode seemed unchanged.
I tried mountain mode to get the gas engine to run (the battery was empty). I noticed no changes to the vibration/harshness of the gas engine although it oddly seemed a little louder.
I tried to hear the new "Darth Vader" pedestrian sound but no luck.

FIT/FINISH
I don't know why, but this particular Volt felt VERY cheap. More misaligned panel gaps, along with very hollow sounding doors. Even the opening & closing of the trunk just felt less "solid." Not sure why. Sometimes it's just a particular Volt that may have a problem, but my 2017 felt more put together. However, I still think the Gen 1, especially the earlier model years, were the most solid Volts ever made.
The porcelain blue interior is interesting and I definitely like it--but it is a VERY subtle blue (more just light gray); however, I slightly favor the brandy (which I have). Personal preference.

OVERALL IMPRESSION
I was glad to test drive the 2019 since it is the most significantly updated Volt in almost 4 years, but I wouldn't say it was "vastly" different than other Gen 2 models. There was no upgrade like adding "hold" mode to the 2013, or boosting the battery capacity (that I could tell). Instead, it seems that there are some very specific upgrades that may be valuable to some drivers. I didn't feel like I was "missing out" by not have a 2019, but the charging upgrade and garage door opener are not must-haves for me. Power seat is nice, but I still didn't think the seats felt much better. But again, that's also a personal preference.
Regarding price, they were definitely not budging much. I got them down to about 37K on a 41K Premier, with an offer of 20K on my 2017. Not terrible, but not good enough with way cheaper 18s down the street. In terms of value, I felt satisfied leaving in my lowly 2017 Gen 2 and if for whatever reason wanted a "new" Volt, the '18 would be just fine.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Excellent review! Thank you for that!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have the single user power seat in my Ford Transit Connect and it's for sure not a 'plus' in my book. If anyone else has driven it, then I need at least a couple minutes to get it readjusted back to where I like it. For a vehicle that will be driven by two people who are not the same size, I would much rather have a manual adjust seat. Why anyone would think it's a good idea to install a 6 or 8 way adjustable power seat without at least two memory settings, I have no idea . . . . but Ford did it and now Chevy has also. I wonder how much $$$ they saved by not making it useful??

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
I traded in a Cadillac ATS premium for my 2018 Volt. It had LOTS of seat adjustment buttons and I could never make myself happy. With my Volt, I have 3 adjustment settings and I know how many notches to slide the seat back and how many notches for the incline. It takes 30 seconds to adjust my seat. I like simple things : )

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Have owned many cars with multiple-way power adjusting and while nice I found my PERFECT driving position after that the only adjustment I use is a "Manual Easy Out/In" method I use since there is NO MEMORY. When I get out I reach down and slide the seat back, when I get in I slide it forward. Takes like 2 seconds.

Often the grass isn't always greener. Happy 2017 Volt owner.

·
Registered
249 Posts
We just traded our 2017 Volt for a new 2019. (We really needed the California HOV stickers that expire in a few weeks, so we traded for a 2019 to get new ones.) Our impressions of the areas you covered:

Agree with the pluses you mention. We really like the Infotainment 3 system. It's way faster, easier to use, has great voice recognition, etc. It is consistent with our Cadillac CTS CUE-3 which we've had for six months and love. We didn't think the fast charging would be anything we needed but it's nice to have. Oh and the new location of the wireless phone charging is great.

Seats: We actually think the seats are better than our 2017.

Driving: Agree with the positive impressions. The pedestrian sound is more melodic. It reminds us of the obelisk sound from 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Fit/Finish: The 2019 is flawless, as was the 2017. The hatch closes more easily. We got the brilliant silver with the porcelain blue interior, versus a brilliant silver with full jet black interior for the 2017. Love the new color. It's more bluish-grey than blue, and the dash accents are nice. The interior is much brighter and stays cooler in the sun. We're very happy with the interior.

There are a number of other improvements that we really like, such as the improved adaptive cruise control (which is smoother and is more smooth for slow downs and accelerations.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Have owned many cars with multiple-way power adjusting and while nice I found my PERFECT driving position after that the only adjustment I use is a "Manual Easy Out/In" method I use since there is NO MEMORY. When I get out I reach down and slide the seat back, when I get in I slide it forward. Takes like 2 seconds.

Often the grass isn't always greener. Happy 2017 Volt owner.
I agree. Not much point without memory. Fortunately my wife and I only disagree on the fore/aft adjustment so it's not a big deal on our 2018. She slides it back to get out, and half the time it ends up exactly where I would put it anyway.

Nice reviews on the 2019. The new features would be nice, but nowhere near nice enough to justify trading in our one year old Volt for. It's been flawless too, so why risk getting one that may be less so.

This is our first (and probably last) Volt, so it's pretty amazing to us just as it is. Never even had a non plug in hybrid before, only 100% ICE vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts