GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the greater Los Angeles area. I really want to lease a Chevy Volt ASAP. Today I called 3 different dealers in the LA area to ask if they had a Volt in stock to look at & drive. Two of the dealers told me they had a car I could see but it would be impossible to drive one. Keys Chevrolet in Van Nuys promised that I would be able to test drive the car if I came over today. When I arived at Keys Chevrolet a "floor manager" by the name of Matthew came over and told me that the Volt was a "premium" car and it was currently selling at $5,000 over the list price. He asked me if I were willing to pay that kind of premium and drive the car off the lot today. I said perhaps if I like the way the car drives. He said "OK I will see what we can do." And he went into the back room where I assumed he was getting the keys. After waiting 30 minutes... Another salesperson came out and told me that I would NOT be able to drive the car. He told me that we don't allow test drives on this vehicle due to the high demand.

I informed the salesman that Matthew specifically told me on the phone that I WOULD be able to test drive the car if I came over today. At this point I had lost all of my trust for this SLEEZY dealership and I decided to leave.

If Chevy wants to sell me a Volt you are going to have to figure out some way for me to DRIVE one before I am going to buy one. Otherwise I will be looking at another brand of car.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hmm,
My selling dealer told me that after the first wave of sold customer orders were delivered, each dealer with allocation would be required to order and keep one Volt as a floor demo. I don't know if there is any truth to this.

I went to the GM Main Street in Motion event at the Santa Anita Race Track parking lot for a test drive back in December. There are more events planed in Southern California in March and April if you can wait that long.

http://mainstreetinmotion.com/Locations.aspx

If you don't want to wait, call around to some of the dealers forum members have posted with Volt's in stock to see if they will let you drive one. Or beg the members here to meet you and let you drive one of theirs.:cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi - I live in LA, too, and I just leased my Volt from Allen Gwynn Chevy in Glendale... I called EVERY dealership within 100 miles and was put on every list. It seems that Penske Chevrolet in Cerritos (ask for Juan Andrade) or Sierra Chevrolet (ask for Gil Canary) aren't charging a premium.

I sold my car and was in a rental waiting for my order to come in from Penske (at msrp) when I stumbled across the one at Allen Gwynn. They were asking 4k over but I told them I could wait for my order from Penske... so instead of paying for a rental for 3 months - we struck a deal at 1500 over sticker and I took it home that day. Not bad for the lease... 3850 total drive off and 480 a month for 3 years. Fully loaded. A win/win.

Good luck. I loved my 335i coupe - but I REALLY LOVE my Volt.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
They did jerk you around, but the dealers get a bad rap. They only have a small window to take advantage of the over demand and under supply of the Volt. I'm sure this kind of stuff will blow over in 6 months or so.

·
Registered
221 Posts
They did jerk you around, but the dealers get a bad rap. They only have a small window to take advantage of the over demand and under supply of the Volt. I'm sure this kind of stuff will blow over in 6 months or so.
I think the small window may have already passed. At least for now. Someone posted Rotolo in SoCal had not one, but two volts on the showroom floor for MSRP. My dealership has had one for a week with a $4k "Market Adjustment" and no takers. I think what they are banking on is when the allocations are gone and there are more cars out in the public to spur interest, people will come looking for them and the only choice will be to pay an upcharge for an in-stock 2011 or wait for the 2012 model year.

Just like your live Maine lobster you will pay "Market Price" if you want it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You can drive ours. No problem.

Come see me at Singh Chevrolet in Riverside. We have a base model Cyber Gray in the showroom. I am happy to take you for a test drive. I like getting away from my desk when I can. I took it out for 2 test drives today. Call 866-407-3143 and ask for Gordon in the Internet Department.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yeah... they can't make the dealerships keep one for demo. If they could make them do that, they could require they sign up with US Bank and honor the national lease for example. However, those dealers who go against GM's suggestion might find their allocation amounts adjusted.

Paul (Cari's husband)

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Spare me. I think the comment about dealers being GM's enemy is right. If the dealers had brains they'd look longer term than trying to ply an extra grand or two from their customers, who I assure you are probably not going to return -- for anything. All they're doing is giving the Volt a bad name and leaving a lot of people with a sour taste in their mouth.

If market price is above MSRP GM should raise the MSRP.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Try George Chevrolet for MSRP

If you want to buy a Volt at MSRP try George Chevrolet in Bellflower. Noel Park, a regular contributor on the Forum, posted that George Chevrolet is selling at MSRP. You might want to contact Roger Stewart at 562.925.2500.

It's a good deal for Volt customers and the success of the Volt itself if orders go to dealers selling for MSRP (or below). The more Volts a dealer sells the more Volts they'll be allocated which is highly desirable from just about all perspectives, including the dealers who don't get it and which are selling above MSRP.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It's my understanding that several dealerships will be getting mechanics training/demo Volts by the end of January. Will take a bit of time before the normal demo drive and haggle dance will happen. The good news is that this car is not only electric. It's comfortable and fun to drive.
I would like to see 2 additions to later models. The first being an option for "radio off during NAV". This could be incorporated into the config/radio noise compensation settings. Second, I would like to have the ability to use Go To My PC on the center LCD screen.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've never worked at a dealership and have given this perhaps 8 seconds of thought so... But I'm thinking if I was a dealership faced with this situation I would use it to reward my customers. I would park the car in the showroom with a sign saying $10,000 over MSRP or what ever I thought was market price. But I would also have stated in the sign that previous customers can buy it for MSRP as some sort of customer appreciation. Further if someone did buy it for the $10,000 over MSRP then the next 5 and the previous 5 customers would get $1000 of that off the price of their car. Previous 5 keeps people from waiting to see if the car sells and next 5 gets em to buy right away as it is definitely a limited time offer! So now if some "outsider" comes in and takes "our" allocation then our loyal customers still get the benefit. Seems like a win - win and if used right you could really do some good marketing around it.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts