1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
To my knowledge GM plans have not changed. I believe this is just some saber rattling becasue the CAW contract talks are looming.

Oshawa will be Impala primary assembly. The Impala is made on the same platform as the Cadillac XTS which is currently being produced in Oshawa so it makes sense.

The Malibu will continue to primary in Fairfax (Kansas City).

DHAM will become overflow for both Malibu and Impala and is primary for Volt. (I don't think DHAM has capacity to be primary for Impala, Volt and ELR while being overflow for Malibu).

With modern automobile manufacuring flex lines one assembly line can now assemble different cars at the same time.

One possible Example. Lets say Malibu demand is higher than one shift at Fairfax can handle under normal working hours. And lets say DHAM is underutilized. Instead of having the people at Fairfax work overtime they can have DHAM pick up the extra demand by running some Malbu's down the Volt line without overtime.

This will help balance the utilization of GM's assembly operations.

EDIT: (rumor) Impala is moving to Oshawa Flex line (As Oshawa has two lines in two seperate buildings as part of the GM Autoplex). The Consolidated line is planning to shut down (/rumor).

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
The Corvette plant at Bowling Green has been operating with a single product line since GM nixed the Caddy XLR back in 2009. While there has been talk of bringing another vehicle to BG GM hasn't done it.

So there will always be plants and vehicles being shuffled around. I wouldn't be too worried.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The Corvette plant at Bowling Green has been operating with a single product line since GM nixed the Caddy XLR back in 2009. While there has been talk of bringing another vehicle to BG GM hasn't done it.

So there will always be plants and vehicles being shuffled around. I wouldn't be too worried.
Well Bowling Green is a special line designed for lower Volume products and is not a flex assembly line. And GM recently reviewed the possiblity of shutting it down but the state of Kentucky offered up some incentives to keep it open.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/04/kentucky-approves-incentives-for-next-chevrolet-corvette-but-w/

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. So, I take it that the editorial is a bit alarmist.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts