GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The body of the Volt is in great shape- no damage, leather seats, etc.

My biggest concerns are:

* The battery will not hold out much longer and I will be stuck with essentially a ICE car.

* Since this is a 2011 model, it was one of the first Volts ever made, and version 1.0 product rarely perform as expected.

* Volts with a lot of miles on them are sort of an uncharted territory. Sure, some people own them, but not in numbers large enough to give a big picture of what to expect.

What do you guys think? Anyone have a Volt with a lot of miles on it? Anyone else have other experiences they could share?

·
Registered
145 Posts
i saw that car you are talking about keyes.. and thats not a smart buy. its basically on its way out to the graveyard. 75k miles in about 4 years someone really beat that thing to death. Im curious enough to see if it was an ICE vehicle the majority of the miles. majority of newer model cars off lease is about 17k with 30-40 k miles

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's a good price for a 2011. I have seen cars with more miles than that going for more.

Well as for the battery, you still have some of the factory warranty left on it. It was originally warrantied for 8 years or 100k miles. This includes all the associated hardware with the battery (like the cooling system). You also have GM's vastly over-engineering of the battery pack going for you. I personally think they will last a lot longer than expected because of the way they are actively cooled and heated, and the capacity reserve that is built into them.

My previous car was a 2011, and yes, it did have a few version 1.0 quirks. However GM knows they have a lot riding on these cars, and have gone so far as to create a special customer service team just to address problems with their EV products. The few issues I had with my car, corporate GM was pretty helpful. It's the dealers that are really hit or miss in my opinion as far as their service goes.

You are correct, there are only a handful of cars out there with over 100k miles on them now. voltstats.net reports about 1% of the cars that they track now have over 100k miles. Given my experience, I would be more concerned about the age of the car rather than the number of miles on it.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The body of the Volt is in great shape- no damage, leather seats, etc.

My biggest concerns are:

1. The battery will not hold out much longer and I will be stuck with essentially a ICE car.

2. Since this is a 2011 model, it was one of the first Volts ever made, and version 1.0 product rarely perform as expected.

3. Volts with a lot of miles on them are sort of an uncharted territory. Sure, some people own them, but not in numbers large enough to give a big picture of what to expect.

What do you guys think? Anyone have a Volt with a lot of miles on it? Anyone else have other experiences they could share?
1. Battery in California (and other CARB states) has a 10 year 150K warranty. The warranty is for 70% capacity. To my knowledge I have not seen anyone that has had discernible battery degradation even on a few of the really high mileage Volts. GM engineers have stated that in moderate climates the battery should retain 70% capacity over ~15 years.

2. The 2011 Volts were made in low volumes and have proven to be some of the most reliable.

3. True. As others have stated there are a few that have over 100K miles on them. Some that do two full charges a day. So far no major issues.

I personally have 43K miles on mine and have had no noticeable change in battery capacity.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The price is pretty much in line with the Kelly Blue Book. Some other things you may want to consider - Starting with the 2013 MY, the Volt's electric range increased from 35 to 38 miles and the "Hold" mode was introduced to the U.S. (comes in handy if you want to save your battery on longer trips for stop & go driving). Also, if you are a California driver, the 2011 Volts are not eligible for the HOV stickers (2012 MY or later).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nero is correct about the battery warranty - assuming you're a prospective CA owner (based on looking at the Volt on Keyes' lot), 150K miles and 10 years are the extents of the warranty. This is 50K miles (and 2 years) more than the standard non-CARB warranties on the electric drive train components. At 75K miles and 4/5 years old, you've got plenty of warranty remaining on the battery (and motors, etc.).

Once you subtract out the $9K (and it was more earlier) in Fed and CA credits/rebates - with some states offering upwards of $5K back in the day - the Volts have held their values quite well. 2012s, for example, sell often for $15K or more in excellent condition. When you consider that a brand new, mid-range model (say with $37.5K MSRP) nets about $28.5K after Fed/CA $$, and comes with an additional $8K-$10K on the hood from the dealer and manufacturer, that's not a whole lot of depreciation relative to off-the-lot new at all. Leafs, on the other hand, depreciate FAR more rapidly. So, $11K for a 2011, assuming it's been treated well by its original owner and the dealer has done all of the necessary work to bring it up to CPO-type status, is not a bad deal at all. These cars are something like the third-highest rated for owner satisfaction with Consumer Reports, and the two higher-ranked models cost significantly more (one is, of course, the Model S).

I can't speak for my own Volt's trouble-free longevity (it's a 2015 with just a few hundred miles on it), but a co-worker has a 2012 or 2013 with plenty of miles and absolutely zero problems/complaints/worries/troubles/issues.

SoCA_I*R is correct about the lack of HOV stickers for 2011 MY Volts. GM goofed on this, and corrected the oversight on the 2012 MY. If this is a serious consideration, you should look at a 2012 or 2013 for a few $K more.

Bottom line (and to paraphrase my 8th/9th grade German teacher, Herr Ashbacher) - ALL Volts are beautiful; some just a tad more so than others! So, do your homework on the 2011, maybe haggle just a bit (especially if the lack of HOV stickers bothers you), and land your Volt. Good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
HOV stickers would be a deal-breaker for me but if it isn't for you I'd be tempted to get a full charge on the vehicle and see what it says the range is - Probably worth asking for an extended test drive to take it out and see what happens with the actual mileage.
I think that would give you a good feel for what's happening with the most worried about component..

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Only late 2012 or newer, California original destination, Volts with the extra smog certification have the longer warranty, or the HOV eligibility. Just so you know.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Since when is 75K "high" mileage? My 2013 will pass that mark in a few months and it still operates as good as it did when new. I resent the implication that high mileage automatically means it was beat on hard. I typically drive 60-80 miles per day 100% electric in nice weather and 85% electric in winter. This is only possible due to multiple charging options throughout the day. The car isn't being beat on, it's being used as it was intended to be. You could offer to buy mine for 22K and I'd just laugh at you. At my current burn rate, I'll hit 200,000 miles just in time for Gen 3 to hit the streets, at which time I might still not be willing to sell it.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Since when is 75K "high" mileage? My 2013 will pass that mark in a few months and it still operates as good as it did when new. I resent the implication that high mileage automatically means it was beat on hard. I typically drive 60-80 miles per day 100% electric in nice weather and 85% electric in winter. This is only possible due to multiple charging options throughout the day. The car isn't being beat on, it's being used as it was intended to be. You could offer to buy mine for 22K and I'd just laugh at you. At my current burn rate, I'll hit 200,000 miles just in time for Gen 3 to hit the streets, at which time I might still not be willing to sell it.
Agreed, except you want to look at the lifetime Mpg to determine if most miles were done on battery or ICE. The closer the vehicle is to a lifetime of 40MPG, the more the ice is worn out (Pistons, piston rings, valves, valve seals, piston rods, crankshafts). Whereas if it is mostly electric, (over 100 mpg) I wouldn't be nearly as concerned with the electric motors and battery. Suspension wear will be there either way. Brake wear is probably minimal because of regen.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Agreed, except you want to look at the lifetime Mpg to determine if most miles were done on battery or ICE. The closer the vehicle is to a lifetime of 40MPG, the more the ice is worn out (Pistons, piston rings, valves, valve seals, piston rods, crankshafts). Whereas if it is mostly electric, (over 100 mpg) I wouldn't be nearly as concerned with the electric motors and battery. Suspension wear will be there either way. Brake wear is probably minimal because of regen.

That's a good question for the OP: What is the lifetime MPG on this particular vehicle?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the information guys. I did have a couple of side quesitons:

1) Why doesn't the 2011 model qualify for California's HOV perk? What did GM change in the 2012 for this?

2) This 2011 comes with what I believe to be the pre-recall 110 charger. It has an orange cable (instead of black), so that means it is original right? If it is the original charger, is it too late to trade it in under GM's recall? If not, how would one do this? The used car dealership says that the car was fully brought up to code, with regard to the recalls, so either the sales person doesn't know about the charger or he is not telling the truth.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My 2011 has 84k miles now. I bought it in April of 2012 as a demo with 3k on it. I've had it in for a few warranty items (driver's screen blacks out in hot weather, "sticky" steering rack, bad battery coolant pump, some sort of battery controller) but nothing out of pocket. Brakes are great yet (and we are hard on bakes).

I've noticed no degradation on the battery. I've never gotten the very lofty AER that many people here do (I'm sure I don't drive like they do), but I did hit over 40 once or twice this summer, and just did over 36 the other day, on a car rated at 35. This is on Michelin MXV4's with over 40k miles. I took a substantial hit to range when these were new but they have worn in nicely. Like I said, I very rarely got 40 when it was new, and things aren't much different now.

I wouldn't hesitate at $11k to buy one with less miles than mine.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Zero concerns on battery or mechanicals at 75,000 miles. As long and the oil was changed, it's good to go. Seriously reliable and you have only used half the 150,000 mile drive train warranty.

I do have some concern on the price. You can get a brand new 2015 Base model for around $18,000 with all the tax credits and incentives. I'd hold out for $9K. Low gas prices and lack of general knowledge about the Volt are in your favor.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
.. and thats not a smart buy. its basically on its way out to the graveyard. 75k miles in about 4 years someone really beat that thing to death.
Is that sarcastic!?!?

18k miles a year. A commute to a location 30 miles away, plus a bit of shopping?

And that's beaten a car into its graveyard?!?

I'd consider 75k lower mid-mileage for that age.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Is that sarcastic!?!?

18k miles a year. A commute to a location 30 miles away, plus a bit of shopping?

And that's beaten a car into its graveyard?!?

I'd consider 75k lower mid-mileage for that age.
I've had 2 cars that got to nearly 200K miles and two more that are at 130K miles and still going strong. I think in the late 80s you could argue that any non-Japanese car was on its way to the graveyard at 75-100K miles, but not any more. Certainly the higher mileage deserves a steeper discount for wear and tear.

·
Registered
78 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts