GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have studied all the great information on the forum related to turning the rear Volt reflectors into lights. I tried the "take them apart and add LEDs" method - one reflector came apart so easily I wondered what all the fuss was about. The other one, which was bought at the same time, was impossible to split apart - the glue refused to budge, even at elevated temperature (240 degrees!). I actually ended up melting the plastic, and it STILL wouldn't come apart.

So, now I am thinking about drilling a couple of holes in the back of the reflector and adding 10mm Superbright red LEDs to illuminate the reflectors. I read where someone was trying this, but I haven't heard how, or if, it worked, and how well it worked. I would want the rear reflectors to match the brightness of the corner tail lights. They will operate as running lights and brake lights.

The challenge I am having in researching / designing the discrete LED method has to do with the 20 - 30 degree view angle of most LEDs (I found some that are 40 degrees) and how to arrange them in the reflector so the whole thing illuminates evenly. 1.) Behind the black center mask, pointed sideways? 2.) At the edges, both sides, pointing towards the center (sideways)? 3.) Something else?

Any advice / experience would be appreciated! Thanks!

Best Regards,

e

·
Registered
309 Posts
Incandescent would have a more even fill. And it would match the factory tail lights.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
This might help:

2011~2017 Chevrolet Chevy Volt Bulb Size Guide

When upgrading the stock halogen / incandescent lamps to led lighting bulbs, the bulb size guide will be much helpful, below are the bulb size guide for 2011~2017 Chevrolet Volt; yet it is for reference only, it is suggested to check the owner manual to confirm the bulb size guide is correct before purchasing.

​High beam headlight for 2011~2015 Chevy Volt: 9012; for 2016~2017 Chevy Volt: 9005
Low beam headlight for 2011~2015 Chevy Volt: 9012; for 2016~2017 Chevy Volt: LED
Daytime running light ( DRL ): LED
Front turn signal light ( blinker light): 7444NA / 7443-SCK ( also as parking light)
Rear turn signal light for 2011~15 Chevy Volt: LED; for 2016~17 Chevy Volt:7440/ 7440NA
Brake / Tail light for 2011~2015 Chevy Volt: LED; for 2016~2017 Chevy Volt: 7443
Back-up reverse light for 2011~2015 Chevy Volt: 3157KX; for 2016~2017 Chevy Volt: 7440
3rd Brake light / Center high mount stop light: LED
License plate light / Tag light: 2825 / 2825L / W5W
Interior Map light: 2825 / 2825L / W5W
Interior Dome light: 194
Vanity mirror light: 7065
Trunk/ Cargo area light: 175

Compatible vehicles: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Chevy Chevrolet Volt

http://www.allalightingblog.com/chevy-volt-led-headlight-back-up-blinker-tag-light

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That does help - thank you. The 7443 lamp would be the obvious one to use for the rear reflectors, just have to find a way to fit it to the reflector and the hatch lid. I am researching the 7443 and also the 67 bulb, which is available in LED, but had 4 bright "sideways" LEDs which may act to illuminate the whole reflector area. I have ordered some and will be doing testing soon.

Best Regards,

e

·
Registered
907 Posts
Check out what Anthony Vigil has done on the FB Volt Owners group.
He was even selling LED modified reflectors, but don't see them there any more.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I have read all of his posts, and even tried contacting him via e-mail, but I got no response. He was talking about another version with 10mm LEDs entering from the back, but I never heard if he tried it, or what the results were.

Best Regards,

e

·
Registered
477 Posts
I tried the posterior heat approach in my 3 yrs old reflectors, with multiple linear cracks in the clear glass, had to use NITE-SHADE to darken the red glass with reasonable final result covering the cracks... I agree the posterior approach drilling the black plastic is safer, WEST MARINE has DRLED bulbs... a pain in the neck project but once finished is worth it. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts