GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get an illuminated charge port installed by the dealer on an LT aftermarket? Or is that something that can only be done at the factory?

Are there any LT options that can be installed after the fact aside from the obvious (rims, floor mats, etc)?

·
Registered
362 Posts
You can do it after you own it. The dealer can do it, but will charge quite a bit for the part and time to do it. I found one on ebay and installed it myself. Hardest part was figuring out how to get it wired, but not impossible.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can do it after you own it. The dealer can do it, but will charge quite a bit for the part and time to do it. I found one on ebay and installed it myself. Hardest part was figuring out how to get it wired, but not impossible.
Cool! I'll keep my eye out. I would've liked it at the outset but I was under time pressure after my 2015 was totaled, and had to move on the vehicle closest to what I wanted for the price I wanted with what time I had available.

Edit: looks like there are several available on the 'Bay

·
Registered
362 Posts
Also, the part number I purchased was 23413649. I just saved a search on ebay to email me and finally got one for $90. It didn't have much for instructions on it, but like I said, you really only need instructions for the wiring portion. I just searched through threads on here and it talked about the wiring. It is different between the 2016 and 2017 model.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Not sure how accurate the GM Parts Catalog is but when I asked my dealer about ordering the kit, the parts guy showed me where it listed ONE HOUR labor. That's about $120

·
Registered
251 Posts
Not sure how accurate the GM Parts Catalog is but when I asked my dealer about ordering the kit, the parts guy showed me where it listed ONE HOUR labor. That's about $120
In addition to what, $450 parts price? I remember it was crazy expensive... I've gone back and forth with wanting it, but it's just pretty expensive for what it is...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have about a decade's experience working in the electronics design/repair industry - I don't need no stinkin' dealer labor! ;-)

So far my one Volt "mod" is sticking a $12 Wal-Mart battery-powered fluorescent closet lamp to the side of the trunk to give a bit more light when I need it. There! I fixed it...

·
Registered
926 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MattyZ, have you considered installing LEDs vice the closet lamp? Less batteries to keep track of, nothing to hang in the rear compartment, and you get stadium-quality lighting (I love this part). Got the idea fom MilliVolt's great post:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread......-hit-some-roadblocks&p=2988297#post2988297
Yep, an LED upgrade is on the to-do list. After the tire upgrade...

I don't completely understand the design decision to move the trunk lighting from the sidewall to the liftgate - it was fine where it was! Maybe they needed to make room for the charging cable box?

Tangential question: This is the first vehicle I've owned with LED low beams and I seem to get flashed a lot, like people think I have my high beams on. Does that happen to others, or are mine maybe misaligned?

·
Registered
39 Posts
In addition to what, $450 parts price? I remember it was crazy expensive... I've gone back and forth with wanting it, but it's just pretty expensive for what it is...
Agreed....up here in Canada, that friggin option is in the high 600's !! :0 then add the damn tax and your north of $700 !!! Too bad there aren't much options regarding the install up here in Canada. eBay is easy....but the install...unless you know exactly what to do, what fuse opening to use...well, sometime ya just have to bite the bullet

1 - 12 of 12 Posts