GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed this or know if it can be installed? Chevy now sells it but markets it for the Camaro. Would it fit the Volt without any modifications or is it not the correct fit (shape) for a volt?

Part Number: 23380121

15781513_10154589709106273_2068368546848007719_n.jpg

·
Registered
871 Posts
$275?! That's ridiculous

I think it would be easier to just install small LED strips around the existing bowtie...cheaper too...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That certainly would be cheaper - by any context of the word.

$275?! That's ridiculous

I think it would be easier to just install small LED strips around the existing bowtie...cheaper too...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Installed Illuminated Bowtie

I installed an illuminated bowtie in my 2019 volt. The most difficult part was removing fasteners, screws and 2 bolts on the front cowl to gain access to behind the grill. Once that is done you merely snap out the original bowtie. Then drill a large hole for the wire connector to pass through. (note the disc shape around the connector on the back of the bowtie). The hole needs to be large enough to allow the new bowtie to fit flat. Then the wiring harness is routed to behind the right (passenger) side headlamp assembly. I have the blackout package and decided to paint the grill black while I was at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I installed an illuminated bowtie in my 2019 volt. The most difficult part was removing fasteners, screws and 2 bolts on the front cowl to gain access to behind the grill. Once that is done you merely snap out the original bowtie. Then drill a large hole for the wire connector to pass through. (note the disc shape around the connector on the back of the bowtie). The hole needs to be large enough to allow the new bowtie to fit flat. Then the wiring harness is routed to behind the right (passenger) side headlamp assembly. I have the blackout package and decided to paint the grill black while I was at it.
Cool! Nice idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was slightly skeptical at first...But not going to lie, that looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

I wish we had a solar-powered bowtie that doesn't need any wiring. Like, just stick it on and be lit, no drilling, no wires, na da.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I saw a Mercedes-Benz with a lighted emblem on the grille the other night. I thought it looked tacky.

·
Banned
154 Posts
https://gm-volt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=157833&d=1552419879

I recently started liking this GM accessory and decide to order one. I have a 2017 Volt premiere. Well, the parts guy says it won’t work on my ‘17, that my car lacks the proper coding ...!
What....? This is a plug in LED light that pigtails into the Headlight harness plug. I just can’t believe it won’t work on any Gen2.
The only thing I can think of is a possible lamp failure code on the CAN-bus due to low resistance of a LED.
Anyone tried one of these factory illuminated bow ties on pre-2019 ?

·
Banned
154 Posts
Happy to report, it’s plug and play in a 2017.

The hole that must be drilled is surprisingly large to accommodate the plug and round base on back of the new bowtie emblem.
The hole is so large that it goes near or beyond the slots that the upper and lower clips fit into. As a result the new illuminated bowtie has upper and lower clips that face outward, (instead of inward like the stock one) so the new bowtie still has something to clip onto.

76E59BDA-182A-4CCA-B7EE-4ECABC1AEC81.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most EXCELLENT,

Love the video def talked myself into going for it, Dealer add on cost $500.oo to do the upgrade, I do have a question for you all that have done this. Do you have the specified part number used for this modification. I currently upgraded from the 2012 volt to the 2017.

Thanks for the vid.-

·
Banned
154 Posts
I just got the kit. Looks like it comes with a plastic template so you can mark where to drill. What did you use to drill the hole?
I used drill bits, exacto-knife and finally a Dremel tool with a grinder barrel bit.
The Dremel tool was the ticket.
Just take your time and get the angle right. Several trial fits to make sure the base fits through grill and isn’t binding.
Kinda a bi’atch, but looks good when it’s done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts