GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety gave the Chevrolet Volt top safety ratings in some of the first-ever tests of electric cars by the insurer-funded research group. The Volt earned top scores for front, side and rear-impact crashes and for rollover crash protection, according to results released Tuesday.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-us-electriccars-safe,0,5429365.story

The Volt weighs 3,760 pounds, which is close to the weight of the Chevrolet Impala. That extra mass helps protect the occupants, since heavier cars are less likely to be pushed around in a crash.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Cool.

I expected that rating to be 5 star on every one, so that is really excellent. That gives those contemplating buying the Volt another good reason to favor it over a lot of other small and mid-size cars that don't fair so well in crashes.

Jerry, #536 in Fresno currently at over 2900 miles with only 5.7 gallons of gas used. At this rate, I may get to over 4,000 miles before I use my first full tank of gas... lovin' it.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
If anyone sees a reduction in your insurance rates because of the overall superior ratings, don't forget to post here on the forums!

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I much prefer cars with excellent safety ratings. I took a chance on the Volt given that no crash results were available. This report gave me a big sigh of relief.

The intransigence of US auto-makers to embrace safety features (I remember how they fought seat beats tooth and nail) and high MPG's was what turned me off at a young age. They lost me for a lifetime of car purchases as a result. I am giving GM a second chance with the Chevy Volt, the only American car I have purchased. If it fails for some reason, I won't return. However I am optimistic the car and the company will do well.

·
Registered
733 Posts
My Volt insured a great rate. I'm sure this is a result of multiple air bags and the 100 mph governed top speed.

BTW: I saw a new Volt locally with a color matched roof. A 2012 model? Or an owner paint job? All else looked the same. Had the optional chrome cast aluminum wheels.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
My insurance was less than a 2002 Chevy Cavalier with Travelers with the same coverage. Obviously the value was much greater on the Volt. They give a discount for Green cars.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety gave the Chevrolet Volt top safety ratings in some of the first-ever tests of electric cars by the insurer-funded research group. The Volt earned top scores for front, side and rear-impact crashes and for rollover crash protection, according to results released Tuesday.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-us-electriccars-safe,0,5429365.story

The Volt weighs 3,760 pounds, which is close to the weight of the Chevrolet Impala. That extra mass helps protect the occupants, since heavier cars are less likely to be pushed around in a crash.
Click here to see photos of the tested Volt

Wonder which VIN gave up its life for this test? Sad to see, but I'm glad the Volt got a Top Safety Pick!

Now GM can revise the Volt window sticker with some crash test ratings.

·
Registered
529 Posts
This is great news for the Volt and for the Leaf. It was the one and ONLY thing we still had doubts about related to our Volts (we thought they would do well but we have never bought a car without first knowing it would be a "five star" or top safety pick).

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I wonder how well the Mitsubishi i will do in front end collision tests?

·
Registered
223 Posts
VOLT AND THE LEAF GET HIGHEST CRASH-TEST RATINGS

Insurance group conducts first-ever tests on plug-in hybrid, EV
Posted by Exhaust Notes Monday, April 25, 2011 7:39:18 PM
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has awarded the plug-in hybrid Chevy Volt and the all-electric Nissan Leaf the highest rating of "good" in its first-ever crash-test evaluation of mainstream EVs and plug-in hybrids. Because both vehicles come standard with electronic stability control, they also receive the Top Safety Pick designation from the IIHS.

The way in which hybrid and electric vehicles are tested for crashworthiness is no different than for vehicles powered by an internal-combustion engine. Joe Nolan, IIHS chief administration officer, says the vehicle's structure "must manage crash damage so the occupant compartment stays intact and the safety belts and airbags keep people from hitting hard surfaces in and out of the vehicle."

While vehicles such as the Volt and Leaf are engineered with the same safety standards in mind as other vehicles, hybrids and EVs do have an advantage: weight. The battery packs used in such vehicles are heavy, putting the curb weight of the Volt and Leaf -- both classified as small cars -- in line with midsize and even larger family cars. Heavier vehicles generally do better in crash tests. And while manufacturers continuously strive to cut the weight of gasoline-powered vehicles in order to improve fuel economy, hybrids and EVs already return far better-than-average fuel-efficiency numbers.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
If you look at 1:08 in the video Rusty referenced the Volt sort of bounces off the barrier without seemingly impacting the passenger compartment at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts