GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on installing a dash cam in my 14 and am looking for where to tie in for power. I can get B+ from both the rear view mirror and the garage door module but if I tie there, the cam would run all the time and run the accessory battery down. I thought I could get IGN+ or ACC+ power from the rear view mirror like I could in my truck but not in this case. My plan is to tap IGN+ or ACC+ power, have that control a relay that turns power on from B+.

I could easily run a wire from the passenger side fuse block, up the A pillar, and across the head liner but I really do not want to do that. I hate having wires run everywhere.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I did not like the fact that my home link was hot all the time. Sounds like a poor decision from a security standpoint. So I was able to find switched power going to the self dimming rear view mirror.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Everything you need is up there. I took some pictures of how I did it - I'll link them in a bit -

Here - http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?125714-Dashcam-installation/page5

There are numerous other threads on dashcam installation - do a search in the mods subforum for a start

Oh, I should add that it's been like a year and a half since I did this, and haven't had any problems at all.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I tied to the homelink. My dash cams run 24/7 and I have not had a problem for over a year now. I have an identical dash cam in each of my 2013 hooked up the same way. I wanted it that way so it would record in the parking lot as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything you need is up there. I took some pictures of how I did it - I'll link them in a bit -

Here - http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?125714-Dashcam-installation/page5

There are numerous other threads on dashcam installation - do a search in the mods subforum for a start

Oh, I should add that it's been like a year and a half since I did this, and haven't had any problems at all.
So you tapped power from the airbag indicator.... wouldn't have been my first choice. I try to stay away from anything related to airbags because it's a safety rated system and simply put, they are bombs. (a friend had one deploy while his chest was 6 inches from the wheel while installing a radio, almost all ribs broken, both lungs punctured, etc. System was disabled as per Ford service manual directions)

By chance, do you know how much current your cam uses? It should be in the specs of the unit and expressed in amps, A, milliamps or mA?

·
1,027 Posts
So you tapped power from the airbag indicator.... wouldn't have been my first choice. I try to stay away from anything related to airbags because it's a safety rated system and simply put, they are bombs. (a friend had one deploy while his chest was 6 inches from the wheel while installing a radio, almost all ribs broken, both lungs punctured, etc. System was disabled as per Ford service manual directions)

By chance, do you know how much current your cam uses? It should be in the specs of the unit and expressed in amps, A, milliamps or mA?
It doesn't directly connect to the airbag system. It cannot deploy the airbags. It's just an indicator light that happens to have 12v when the ignition is on only.

Canadian volts don't even have it, but they do have the harness. I know, had to add a few of the lights to some volts that were imported to make them legal in the U.S.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Canadian volts don't even have it, but they do have the harness. I know, had to add a few of the lights to some volts that were imported to make them legal in the U.S.
Now I'm curious which light this is - do you have a pic? :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts