GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I got a Maritz survey and am filling it out, most of the questions on these type of surveys seem reasonable but some are a bit different.

Here is a copy/paste of one of the questions from the survey that is currently in progress:

- If the Chevrolet Volt was a person, which of the following traits would describe it? (Check ALL that apply.)

Down-to-earth

Cheerful

Imaginative

Intelligent

Charming

Peaceful

Honest

Daring

Up-to-date

Successful

Outdoorsy

Passionate

Wholesome

Spirited

Reliable

Upper class

Tough

Environmentally-responsible

Oh wait, there's another question about what if Chevy was a person...

If Chevrolet was a person, which of the following traits would describe it? (Check ALL that apply.)

Environmentally-responsible

Tough

Upper class

Reliable

Spirited

Wholesome

Passionate

Outdoorsy

Successful

Up-to-date

Daring

Honest

Peaceful

Charming

Intelligent

Imaginative

Cheerful

Down-to-earth

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I hate stupid questions like that. That's the sort of question that makes me not participate in a survey. It's a car. It's NOT a person. The adjectives don't even mean the same thing when describing a thing versus a person.

Outdoorsy? Aren't they all? Just what car would be considered indoorsy? Makes me wonder if market researchers are just as stupid as the questions.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a car. It's NOT a person. The adjectives don't even mean the same thing went describing a thing versus a person.
That's what I was thinking... when I saw the adjective of 'passionate' I thought back to the movie "Christine"... OK that one I agree was passionate.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Outdoorsy? Aren't they all? Just what car would be considered indoorsy? Makes me wonder if market researchers are just as stupid as the questions.
I'm a market researcher, and while I do agree that these kinds of questions are rather silly and not everyone thinks this way, there is a specific reason for asking these kinds of questions. The idea behind it is to give marketers an understanding of the emotional connection that consumers have with their vehicles, if any. Marketing is generally more effective if it can speak to consumers on an emotional level rather than on a purely functional level (i.e., it's an electric car, you plug it in, it will drive, etc.).

If the results indicate that people associate the vehicle with being "outdoorsy" then marketing campaigns would likely show the car being driven to a campground, or a lake, and with people who have sporting equipment, etc. That's just an example, but that's the main idea.

But again, I agree, silly.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Along the lines of familiarity and what we think a car should look like/be like... why do they only have two headlights? why not 8 'eyes' like a spider? well, I know the newer models have a big cluster of led lamps now that look insecti-ish- but why not 3 lamps? It does also seem like cars grills have a facial expression and masculine light shapes these days. I would say styling has a non functional human element to it.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Along the lines of familiarity and what we think a car should look like/be like... why do they only have two headlights? why not 8 'eyes' like a spider? well, I know the newer models have a big cluster of led lamps now that look insecti-ish- but why not 3 lamps? It does also seem like cars grills have a facial expression and masculine light shapes these days. I would say styling has a non functional human element to it.
The history of automotive design is a fascinating topic. I mean for many years if a car didn't have wood paneling on it (thus hearkening back to the carriages and wagons that people were still used to) then it wasn't anything people liked. Eventually that trend died out as people got used to the idea that it was an automobile, not a "horseless carriage" and things started to change.

These days we're still used to a car having a front intake grille, and a limited number of physically fairly large "headlights" as a trade off between design, function, and electrical limitations even though efficient LED lighting really throws those limits out the window.

If you were to throw all the baggage out the window this vehicle is one of the more practical and efficient designs... but is it cool? Would you pay a lot of money for it? I don't know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would describe the Volt as Raiden, from Mortal Kombat. Thunder God, immortal, and chosen protector of the Earth realm, friend of mankind, and gatherer of champions willing to defend the Earth realm. Besides electrical powers, he can also fly and teleport.

Of couse, mine is white with a little black trim and blue LED lighting

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Along the lines of familiarity and what we think a car should look like/be like... why do they only have two headlights? why not 8 'eyes' like a spider?

well, I know the newer models have a big cluster of led lamps now that look insecti-ish- but why not 3 lamps?

It does also seem like cars grills have a facial expression and masculine light shapes these days. I would say styling has a non functional human element to it.

It's no accident that we see faces in our front ends and tails. It's called pareidolia.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I always thought the Family Truckster was absolutely over the top ridiculous until about the year 2000 when conspicuous consumption was at its height during the suv craze.

and we though quad tail lights were a joke-

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Along the lines of familiarity and what we think a car should look like/be like...
It's at least partly a safety issue. Having a standard aspect to the headlights helps you to judge how far away a car is at night and lets you know that it's not partly in your lane. If you were to see a car with three lights (one on each side and one in the middle) it would be confusing - is it a car or is it a car and a motorcycle? Or even a train?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
It's at least partly a safety issue. Having a standard aspect to the headlights helps you to judge how far away a car is at night and lets you know that it's not partly in your lane. If you were to see a car with three lights (one on each side and one in the middle) it would be confusing - is it a car or is it a car and a motorcycle? Or even a train?

They're not static, they're on and off, one and off, etc...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts