GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to use the Volt's air compressor/inflator to regularly top-off my tires. I figured it's much more convenient than driving to a gas station (which could increase the tire pressure), paying the $1 (or more), and inflating my tires.

At any rate, please be aware that the built-in pressure gauge on the compressor may not be accurate. Years ago, I learned not to trust gas station inline pressure gauges. This is why I always use my own analog pressure gauge.

I like to keep 40 PSI all the way around on my Volt.

So, last night, I had to put 44 PSI (as measured by the built-in compressor gauge) just to get to my targeted 40 PSI (as measured by my handheld gauge). The TPMS on the DIC shows 42 PSI.

The bottom line? All three indicators show different readings. I trust my tried-n-true handheld gauge the most and that's what I go with.

p.s. I like how GM includes a couple of adapters for inflating air mattresses, beach balls, bicycle tires, basketballs/footballs/soccer balls, etc. :)

·
Registered
678 Posts
I picked up the Accutire MS-4350B Setpoint Tire Gauge from Amazon and Lowes has a relatively small $10 air Compressor they are selling for the Holday season. The PSI measured on this tire gauge was within .5 PSI of the Volts TPMS.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I decided to use the Volt's air compressor/inflator to regularly top-off my tires. I figured it's much more convenient than driving to a gas station (which could increase the tire pressure), paying the $1 (or more), and inflating my tires.
PowerTrip - most Chevron stations in SoCal offer free air and water. If there's a Chevron station near you, give them a try.

·
Registered
144 Posts
There is nothing better than having a good compressor in your garage, one with a tank big enough to do all four tires on one charge. I've got the Volt, a full sized truck and a little roadster. Every couple weeks I do all three vehicles using a little digital tire gauge. I'm guessing over the past five years I've save a ton of time, aggravation and a bit of money on gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PowerTrip - most Chevron stations in SoCal offer free air and water. If there's a Chevron station near you, give them a try.
Cool. I didn't know that. The other stations used to be free (years ago, it seems) so I haven't really bothered to "shop around". I usually used ARCO or Shell air pumps. I'll check them out.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts