GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
It could, just with small V6 performance. Maybe 2nd generation will have an 160KW motor.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Oh man... You had to go and dream, and then share that dream. Errrr. Now we all have to imagine what could be and what will not be. Maybe someday.:( Since we're dreaming, here's and E-Flex variant I'd love to see happen. Ohh Pleeeeeease!

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Oh man... You had to go and dream, and then share that dream. Errrr. Now we all have to imagine what could be and what will not be. Maybe someday.:( Since we're dreaming, here's and E-Flex variant I'd love to see happen. Ohh Pleeeeeease!
YES YES YES!!!!!!

Sign me up, take my money now. This is what cars should look like.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If only the Volt could look like this.......
If the Volt turns out looking like a rolling turd, I will wait for the E-Flex Camaro. It can't be too far behind. :)

I will not drive a crappy looking car. I just won't do it. I have not drunk the Prius Kool-aid.

·
Registered
240 Posts

DaV8or, I like that too. Looks like an old '55 Vette nose in a wagon! Pretty cool!

I hope GM can keep the pressure on the other car makers with a cool looking Volt. If it looks like a Prius, GM really missed a chance to change the game.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
DaV8or,
what does that stick/knobby thing on the center console do?
Ummm... I'm going to assume you are joking so...

It's a place for your wife to put her hair scrunccis.
It's a joystick for the heads up display Xbox 360.
It controls the incinerator beam in the front of the car. (Think Death Star, complete with deep pitch lowering hum sound)
For pilots, it's the emergency gear extension lever.
It's a hitching post for all the horsepower when you go in the saloon.
It works the ejection seat.
It's so Steven Hawkings can drive the car too.

I could go on I guess, but I'll spare you guys. Anybody else have a guess what it's for?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ummm... I'm going to assume you are joking so...

It's a place for your wife to put her hair scrunccis.
It's a joystick for the heads up display Xbox 360.
It controls the incinerator beam in the front of the car. (Think Death Star, complete with deep pitch lowering hum sound)
For pilots, it's the emergency gear extension lever.
It's a hitching post for all the horsepower when you go in the saloon.
It works the ejection seat.
It's so Steven Hawkings can drive the car too.

I could go on I guess, but I'll spare you guys. Anybody else have a guess what it's for?
Good, cause I thought it might be something anachronistic like a shifter, and I thought "gods...what a waste of space...I could put my soda there". I'm excited about the incinerator beam.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The Frack you say.

You don't happen to be a Battle Star Galactica fan do you?:)
No, but I'm surrounded by them at work.

It's "...Find Earth" this and "...Is a Cylon..." that.
C'mon people.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk because I think the pictures that you had were pretty cool lookin'. I just thought that the paradigm that brought us the mechanical shifter (i.e. forcing a physical gearing architecture around manually, even on an automatic) has ended. At most we need a knob with P-R-N-D... if that. Maybe, we'll want some really slick way to tweak the driving experience, like regen intensity or peak torque restriction, but I can't imagine it would be a requirement to have a slider/levering system just to do so.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I don't mean to sound like a jerk because I think the pictures that you had were pretty cool lookin'. I just thought that the paradigm that brought us the mechanical shifter (i.e. forcing a physical gearing architecture around manually, even on an automatic) has ended. At most we need a knob with P-R-N-D... if that. Maybe, we'll want some really slick way to tweak the driving experience, like regen intensity or peak torque restriction, but I can't imagine it would be a requirement to have a slider/levering system just to do so.
You don't sound like a jerk. No worries. The car I posted up was never meant to be a EV and so yeah, it needs a shifter. In the case of the conventional car, I have to strongly disagree with you, manually shifting a car is not dead yet. Some of us, (admittedly, our numbers seem to be declining every year in America) still feel strongly about actually driving the car rather than just being a set and forget passenger. Something very satisfying about rowing the gears where you the driver are deciding how best to navigate the road rather than some fuzzy logic device. However, the EV changes things and we will have to see what develops once we can start racing EVs on road courses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know!

I fell in love with the camero from the transformers movie
and id love to have 1
but having a volt would be great
but the way its looking right now id never think about getting one
its UGLY!
It doesnt have to be scientifical correct and flawless when it comes to aerodynamics
If it looks like that only tree huggers and Voltz Wagon buyers will buy a volt
and we all know VW drivers are a little koo-koo :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
tweak, tweak, tweak

Some of us, (admittedly, our numbers seem to be declining every year in America) still feel strongly about actually driving the car rather than just being a set and forget passenger.
For the record, I drive a 5 speed. I even down shift in deceleration. I've only owned one Automatic in my life, and that was the one feature I didn't miss about the car when I got rid of it (that and it was a money pit). I'm a big fan of adjusting, and tweaking. It is important to me that I can control how the car is being driven, or more to the point that I am an integral part of the driving experience. You know...man and machine become one...etc.,etc. I just don't want to waste perfectly good console space on the ability to go to Park, Neutral, Reverse and Drive using an outdated mechanical nostalgic icon. That's were the three button scroll wheel mouse goes!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I just don't want to waste perfectly good console space on the ability to go to Park, Neutral, Reverse and Drive using an outdated mechanical nostalgic icon. That's were the three button scroll wheel mouse goes!
Well in regards to the Volt, I completely agree. It doesn't need, or should have a shifting lever anywhere. Button controls is all it needs. Putting a stick shift in the Volt would be stupid. Even the paddle type shifter that is on the Volt concept I think is stupid. A small row of buttons on the dash is all it needs, kind of like my old '62 Dodge Lancer had except electronic.

·
Registered
188 Posts
A small row of buttons on the dash is all it needs, kind of like my old '62 Dodge Lancer had except electronic.
You don't even need neutral. Just put park, forward, reverse, and auto cruise for those people who can't stay out from behind the wheel when they've been drinking.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
You don't even need neutral. Just put park, forward, reverse, and auto cruise for those people who can't stay out from behind the wheel when they've been drinking.
I think they might need some sort of nuetral for the purpose of towing the car.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think they might need some sort of nuetral for the purpose of towing the car.
Neutral is a transmission idea. It means nothing to a direct drive electric motor. There is no way to move the "gears" to provide neutral. Just put it in forward or reverse with the key off. You will not be towing an electric car with the drive wheels on the ground for more that 50 ft. anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My electric golf cart (Club Car) has a run/tow switch; it can be towed 4 wheels down if it is switched into the tow position. Eliminating the field current is enough to disable regenerative braking and allow free wheeling.

Transmissions are a thing of the past with direct drive, electric propulsion. The sound of "running through the gears" assumes that their is sound, and gears. Full torque at zero RPM obviates the need for gear changes. There won't be manual shifting because their won't be shifting at all. Tesla dropped their two speed transmission in favor of a more robust direct drive approach.

This is a new paradigm and it will involve cultural changes to our ideas, memories and expectations of what makes a car great. Do you remember Hans Solo ever "running through the gears" on the Millenium Falcon?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts