GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They would MANDATE that their dealers install at least 2 EV charging stations and make them accessible to their customers. At the very least, do it at all Chevrolet dealerships. Set an installation deadline, and make sure all dealers meet it. Tell the dealers that if you want to sell our vehicles, you must install this equipment. Period. They could even cut a deal with one of the major manufacturers for a price break, but make the dealer pay for it. If Chevy wants to sell EV's, they need to have these charging stations on site so the salesman can at least demonstrate how to charge the vehicle. Imagine if every Chevy and Cadillac dealer had charging stations on site--this would be a huge network. The closest charging station to me right now is at a BMW dealer. They all have them. The second closest is at a Nissan dealer. They all have them. The third is at Whole Foods!! I am in close proximity to 7 GM dealers--none of which has a charging station. If GM truly has all these EV's in development, they need to do this NOW.

That's my rant for the day.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
They would MANDATE that their dealers install at least 2 EV charging stations and make them accessible to their customers. At the very least, do it at all Chevrolet dealerships. Set an installation deadline, and make sure all dealers meet it. Tell the dealers that if you want to sell our vehicles, you must install this equipment. Period. They could even cut a deal with one of the major manufacturers for a price break, but make the dealer pay for it. If Chevy wants to sell EV's, they need to have these charging stations on site so the salesman can at least demonstrate how to charge the vehicle. Imagine if every Chevy and Cadillac dealer had charging stations on site--this would be a huge network. The closest charging station to me right now is at a BMW dealer. They all have them. The second closest is at a Nissan dealer. They all have them. The third is at Whole Foods!! I am in close proximity to 7 GM dealers--none of which has a charging station. If GM truly has all these EV's in development, they need to do this NOW.

They are independent franchises and they can't mandate anything.

·
Registered
982 Posts
They are independent franchises and they can't mandate anything.
They reduced the number of dealerships a few years ago. Too many dealers they said at the time. They can get rid of them.

GM could mandate this, and pony up for one of the two charging stations. This seems like minimum requirement to be in the EV business. As I have said before, I am not sure GM can get out of its own way.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
The dealers that are authorized to sell Bolts are suppose to install customer accessible charging stations as part of the deal. Chevrolet should be following up on the installations.

·
Registered
417 Posts

I suppose you want FREE charging too............:eek:

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
They reduced the number of dealerships a few years ago. Too many dealers they said at the time. They can get rid of them.

GM could mandate this, and pony up for one of the two charging stations. This seems like minimum requirement to be in the EV business. As I have said before, I am not sure GM can get out of its own way.
GM was only able to do this via a bankruptcy court, and even then several of the large dealership chains (multiple brands) sued to block this.

·
Administrator
21,233 Posts
It might do in a pinch, but do we all want to travel to a Chevy dealer to charge our car while traveling regionally or nationally?

And the chances that the charge station will not be blocked or behind a locked gate at night? That it will be working?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suppose you want FREE charging too............:eek:
For GM owners...yes! They could use Chargepoint and allow registered GM EV owners to charge for free, and non-GM EV owners could be charged whatever Chargepoint normally does.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It might do in a pinch, but do we all want to travel to a Chevy dealer to charge our car while traveling regionally or nationally?

And the chances that the charge station will not be blocked or behind a locked gate at night? That it will be working?
No, as I said make them accessible to their customers--some dealers already do this. For example, Don Gill Chevrolet in Columbus, OH has 3 240V chargers and 1 DC fast charger on the lot, and they are working with the installers and the city to add more fast chargers up front. Why can't they all do this? GM could help with half the cost if the dealers gripe.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My local Volt dealer removed their charge point, so I had to travel all the way across town to the only other Volt authorized dealer.
They had two 3KW charge points, but they broke on my second visit.
Their lead salesman said they couldn't justify fixing it because there wasn't any value in it.
He might have said, "no market for it".
He was older, and closer to retirement, so at least attrition will fix him.

Now I don't service my Volt there any more, so he has probably lost value beyond the cost of repairing his point.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My Chevrolet dealer has a L2 EVSE right in front of the area where you drop off your car for service. I occasionally see a Volt out there charging but have never had mine charging there. Usually when I bring it in for service it is almost fully charged anyway.

What I have found in 5 years of Volt ownership is I NEVER use or need to use public charging stations. I charge at home in my garage overnight (2AM-6AM). I carry 1/4 to 1/2 tank of gas so if I happen to use up all of the battery it's not a problem.

·
Registered
108 Posts
No, as I said make them accessible to their customers--some dealers already do this. For example, Don Gill Chevrolet in Columbus, OH has 3 240V chargers and 1 DC fast charger on the lot, and they are working with the installers and the city to add more fast chargers up front. Why can't they all do this? GM could help with half the cost if the dealers gripe.
Because GM doesn't really want to sell electric cars. They make that abundantly clear!

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Because GM doesn't really want to sell electric cars. They make that abundantly clear!
I think it's more than this. Dealerships don't want to sell electric cars because they know EVs simply don't come in for service as often, which means that their service departments won't be as profitable. Roughly half a car dealership's revenue comes from service - EVs will have a huge impact on this part of their business.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
A friend of mine that works at a Chevy dealer, told me that when he comes in in the morning, there's usually a Leaf sitting at their charging station.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
A friend of mine that works at a Chevy dealer, told me that when he comes in in the morning, there's usually a Leaf sitting at their charging station.
nothing a floor jack can't take care of.:p

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I don't think Chey makes a lot of money on Volts/Bolts. First, the sales numbers aren't there. Secondly, I think it's more a case of tipping your toe in the water to get some experience on the technology, servicing them and the issues that go along with that. Allows them to ease on into it rather than getting a pail of cold water thrown on them. Thirdly, you don't ignore your money makers trying to change the publics attitudes, biases, misconceptions. That's not their jobs. As far as L2 chargers, they are a public relations gimmick more than anything not money makers. See how green we are. Entice the public to park, shop there rather than someplace down the block. Putting them in and paying .50 to a dollar per car to get you in the mall or what ever is a small price to pay compared to the money they put into advertising. They don't have a budget for getting them repaired which is why they are down for such a long time when they break down. Budgets come up once a year so it could be that long before anything is done. As for having them in Chevy dealers, there is no point other than using them to charge customers cars (like giving them a wash) before handing them back after a couple hundred repair bill for whatever. Who spends a hour or two a car dealership?

·
Administrator
21,233 Posts
As for having them in Chevy dealers, there is no point other than using them to charge customers cars (like giving them a wash) before handing them back after a couple hundred repair bill for whatever. Who spends a hour or two a car dealership?
Even on the rare occasions I have my Volt or Bolt in for service, I don't stay at the dealer, I have them drive me home. Besides, my dealer's lot is crammed with cars for sale. Other than parking spots for car shoppers, they have no space to dedicate to public charging.

Even if they did have a spot, I would not use it. Like most Volt owners 99.9999999% of my charging is done at home. So the only time I might need a dealer charge is when traveling very long distances say, over 200 miles in my Bolt EV (the Volt has a convenient plan B, gasoline). For the Bolt, I'd rather charge by or near a restaurant, not a cramped dealer lot. YMMV

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If GM was serious about EVs, they would have a CUV and SUV with a modified Voltec in them. Those are the sizes everyone wants. Just look at how the Cadillac SRX/XT5 and Escalade; and the Chevrolet Silverado and Equinox; and the Buick Encore, Enclave, and Envision outsell everything else.

Volts and Bolts sell OK, but the reason they don't sell like the Tesla Model 3 is because there's no buzz or excitement around them. I would argue the Volt is a better overall car than the Model 3, but the Volt isn't all-electric, isn't fast, and no one cares. The Bolt feels cheap inside, also isn't fast, and no one cares. Neither Chevy car has rear-wheel drive, memory power seats, AutoPilot, or a spacious interior. The only thing GM has on Tesla is that it has Apple Car Play and Android Auto!

If Chevrolet had an all-electric Camaro or if Cadillac had a plug-in XT5, they'd have some serious buzz around them and would sell. But GM has no electric vision, and most of the cars it makes fall flat due to incompetent marketing, pricing, or engineering (see Cadillac ELR or Cadillac CT6 PHEV).

1 - 20 of 62 Posts