GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2012 volt, which gives me only 30 miles/charge. So I use plugshare and other apps to find chargers near me wherever I go to avoid using gas. Problem is, the J-1772 plug is ALWAYS the most popular! At the mall there are so many non-chargepoint chargers (like EVgo and Blink) that at best have only 1 or 2 J-1772 plugs (always taken) and TONS of level 3 plugs like CHAdeMO, CSS and SAE (always vacant). Even cars that can take lvl 3s (Leafs and Teslas) often steal the J-1772s, which drives me crazy because I can't charge my volt with level 3... Or can I?...

So I did a little research... There's no such thing as a CHAdeMO–J-1772 adapter (as far as I know), BUT there ARE adapters that allow Teslas to charge at CHAdeMO CSS/SAE combo chargers. AND there's also the TeslaTap, which converts the standard Tesla plug to J-1772...

My question is, would it be possible to make a DIY adapter by first converting CHAdeMO to the tesla plug using Tesla's adapter, and then converting tesla to J-1772 using the TeslaTap (from amazon.com)? It would be an expensive bulky contraption, but I will do anything to be able to put a few extra battery miles on my volt from a CHAdeMO or SAE charger in a pinch.

Let me know what you think! I am very curious if other volt owners have had this same problem and what solutions you have come up with.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
No, you can't use a CCS or CHAdeMO charging station, even with an adapter, to charge your 2012 Volt (or any Volt.) Your Volt is designed to charge at 120V or 208/240V. The CCS and CHAdeMO charging stations are providing ~400V DC; the Volt was not designed for DC fast charging. The Bolt does come with the ability to charge using 120V, 208/240V and CCS DC fast charging.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
If you plugged that contraption into your Volt, the best possible outcome is that it just wouldn't do anything. The worst... I don't even want to think about that...

·
Registered
2013 Volt
75 Posts
Technical issues aside, this plan has both social and fiscal problems. Take the cost of your adapter and weigh it against the cost difference of just using gas. Would you ever hit the break even point? Also, think about how pissed, and I'm only speaking for myself here, you get when a charging station is ICE'd. I think it would be a much bigger douche move to take up a fast charger with a Volt, that the person driving a BEV actually needs.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Yes you are seeing more and more BEV's using the free L2 low power chargers while the Supercharger, CADdeMO, CCS chargers remain vacant because they are free (usually) and the fast chargers cost and because the BEVs don't really need the charge because they have plenty of range for local driving. That's the way it is. No point in paying three times the residential rate for electricity if you don't really need it.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Before you invest more time and money trying to enable your 2012 Volt to be charged at an L3 level charging station, take some time to investigate the per kWh price you would pay for charging your Volt from the electricity available at those L3 charging stations.

The cost of charging is related to the cost of the equipment that makes that level of charging possible. If the prices at the "vacant" L3 charging stations you see were as inexpensive as at the L2 stations, they would be the BEVs' charging stations of choice.

·
Registered
170 Posts
A related question occurs to me. How does the cost of charging at charging stations compare to the cost of driving on gas? Are they about comparable or is one or the other much more expensive?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
A related question occurs to me. How does the cost of charging at charging stations compare to the cost of driving on gas? Are they about comparable or is one or the other much more expensive?
That varies widely depending on the specific charging station you are using. Many are either free or included at no additional cost after you pay for the parking you would need anyway. Obviously that is cheaper than gas. Where there is a cost for charging, the rates and rate methods vary. They could be either higher or lower, but in general they tend to be more expensive than gas, sometimes way more expensive. This is due in part to the relatively slow charging rate of the Volt. It doesn't get good value when charging fees are based on the time you are connected.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I recently picked up a 2017 Nissan Leaf SV which has a CHAdeMO connector.
Last Thursday night we experienced a power failure at home so I had to head to work with marginal battery range to cover my round trip commute. I had just signed up with EVGo and knew there was a charger station close to my path to work, so I pulled in and gave the car roughly a 10 minute charge.
At $0.35/minute, the resulting range boost came to about $0.115 per mile of range added. So, about the same as gasoline cost per mile @ 26 mpg.

In my situation, it was an acceptable option.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Let's face it. Any BEV charging at L2 in the wild is either an apartment dweller (not many BEV owners there yet) with lots of time on their hands, or a house dweller looking for some free juice. Anyone else needing a "real" charge will pay for L3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had similar thoughts, even though there only two or three ties a year I drive far enough for it to be a factor. Still, I would like at least to see some L2s along the Interstates, I've only seen DCFCs. With the million dollars of equipment in those sheds, EVgo or ElectrifyAmerica could certainly install a step-down transformer and provide a J1772 "nozzle".
In my little corner of the world, there are very few "public" L2 chargers. There are a handful in parking structures here and there, but mostly they're on private property for the more-or-less exclusive use of staff and clients. And a few at dealerships who give you a dirty look if you're not driving their make. And the few that are available are usual being used by Teslas.
Even though I understand the impracticality of it, I'd still like such an adapter to exist.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts