GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had our new 2017 Volt for a few weeks in a VERY snowy part of Ontario and have had the plug
port iced up such that it would not open. I pushed a credit card like piece of plastic into and around the edge of
the cover to get it to open. I figured it was ice from snow getting in from when the car is plugged in outside.
We have only a one car garage and our other vehicle, a Tesla Model S, is usually inside. I really am impressed with our new Volt overall, but I was wondering if anyone has devised a way to keep snow out of the open charging port. I know it seems a bit ridiculous but I have been leaning a broom over the port to keep the snow off. The Tesla port is much smaller and does not seem to be as prone to the icing up as the Volt with its large port door.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
The Tesla port is much smaller and does not seem to be as prone to the icing up as the Volt with its large port door.
How would you know? You just wrote the tesla sits in the garage all the time will the volt is outside

Just put a dish rag to cover the port should solve your issues?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I am in Ontario and own a Gen 1. My charge port can freeze up too, mainly due to the freeze/thaw cycles we have and snow and ice getting into the port when plugged in. Get some silicone spray or similar dry lube and spray the gaskets and it will help somewhat. I ignore the crunch and force the door closed each morning and like you, I need to pry a little to open the door to charge. Just make sure you don't damage anything when you have to do that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've built a shield that is just some weak magnets(think refrigerator flexible magnet) in a beefy plastic bag. I attach it above the port and it forms a roof and two vertical sides.

I've thought about building a flexible water repellent shroud/snorkel to do this - something that could live on the
j1772 connector and mate with the car sheet metal when plugged into the car. haven't needed to, yet, still want to...

Lumos,
2014 gen 1

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Around the perimeter of the charge port there is a rubber gasket, you can try lubricating the gasket with rubber conditioning/silicone grease to eliminate water buildup that can freeze it to the charge port door inner surface.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Snow in charging port

I have to charge outside often and live in a very snowy area. Anybody have any fixes to keep snow out of the charge port while plugged in? Already had to use a credit card once to break an ice seal that prevented me from opening the port after the snow melted then refroze, and so freezing the cover shut. I did try to scoop as much snow as I could before closing the port door. I have taken to leaning a broom against the port to keep the snow out on snowy days.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sorry about the double post. New to the forum and thought the first was entered before I got authorization to post. Thanks everyone for the ideas.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How would you know? You just wrote the tesla sits in the garage all the time will the volt is outside

Just put a dish rag to cover the port should solve your issues?
Used the Tesla last winter a lot. Just got the Volt in Dec.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
...I've thought about building a flexible water repellent shroud/snorkel to do this - something that could live on the j1772 connector and mate with the car sheet metal when plugged into the car. haven't needed to, yet, still want to...

Lumos,
2014 gen 1
That's a good idea. Maybe something like this with the handle removed and slit along the length so it is open at the bottom and will fit over the charge port door. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0006IXNDW If you do it please report back with a photo. Thanks.

KNS

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Easy to do! Just swap cars, putting your Volt inside the garage.

Or move south and avoid the snow permenently.

·
Registered
741 Posts
both of mine sit outside and charge. I just bust the ice off and never had an issue. couple of sharp taps and away I go.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got a thick plastic bag from work and will give the magnet idea a go. But thank goodness, the snow has stopped the last few days so I can wait before trying it out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts