GM Volt Forum banner

ICE turning on with very high to MAX RPM.

769 Views 2 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  edsamuel57
In warmer weather the ICE will randomly turn on at about 50% capacity until fully depleted. When it's cold and the battery is below 55f. The ICE will come on soon after I leave the house. Once the ICE warms up it goes to a very RPM of about 3500 and if I'm driving it goes to 4400 rpm. Capacity is at 86% and cell deviation is approximately 40-80mv. As a test I fully charge the battery. While sitting in the driveway with the cabin heater on max to create a steady 6-7kW draw. The same thing happened. The ICE came on at 80% with a cell deviation of about 35mv and battery temp on all the sensors was 50f +/- a few degrees. Because I wasn't driving the car the RPM's were about 3200. This makes no sense to me. It's only been happening with the latest HPCM2 recall update. Is there any way to back out the update or correct the problem? It's apparent the software has some serious problems with other then optimum batteries.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
561 Posts
Edsa 57 please give us the YEAR & MILEAGE of your Volt. What you call cell deviation of 40-80 mV it suggest that probably you have one or more main battery cells going bad/weak...time to start MOUNTAIN MODE every day, even when the battery is full, probably the engine will run at lower rpm. Kind regards.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Edsa 57 please give us the YEAR & MILEAGE of your Volt. What you call cell deviation of 40-80 mV it suggest that probably you have one or more main battery cells going bad/weak...time to start MOUNTAIN MODE every day, even when the battery is full, probably the engine will run at lower rpm. Kind regards.
Mountain mode does nothing when the battery capacity is over 40-45%. ICE will come on sometimes at 80% charge. Yesterday it came on at 70% charge while on the freeway doing 70mph. Once the ICE warmed up the RPMs went to 4300 and stayed there for about 5 minutes. Outside temp was 48f and battery temp was 60f. My Volt is a 2013 with 225k miles. About 70% is electric miles. The colder the weather the more the sooner the ICE comes. It even happens with a full charge. It's not the ERDTT mode.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts