GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good Morning! I unplugged and got into my 2014 Volt today and it showed 30 miles of electric range. I pushed the start button and the ICE came on and the Info Center LOOKED like I had asked for HOLD mode. I pushed the Drive Mode button and only Normal and Sport were available, but the Info Center still showed 30 miles electric range, with the "gas pump" highlighted (260 miles range) and the "battery" in the background. Seemed to be operating normally and no messages came up in the Info Center.

About 6 miles later, the car switched itself to battery and stayed that way until I arrived at work. I restarted at work and it went straight to battery just like it should have.

BTW: The green light was flashing telling me it was fully charged before I started. Temperature was around 10F.

Anybody else experience this?

·
Registered
433 Posts
ERDTT starts below 15F right?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sounds like what I had two weeks ago during the cold snap. I had parked in the driveway while it was hovering around 0F for a couple of days. Showed 6 miles of battery range, but switched over to ICE immediately, and the battery was greyed-out. Eventually (maybe 5 miles down the road) got a dash message of "Battery Too Cold, Plug In To Warm". 10 miles later, I assume that the battery had warmed up enough and it turned off the ICE.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
It sounds like your car hit the deep cold ERDTT which is a deeper mode based on battery temperature. I have personally hit this mode a couple of times after my car sat unplugged in very cold temperatures (-20F to -10F). However what is strange about your story is that you were plugged in so the battery temperature should have been maintained above this deep cold threshold. Where you plugged in for long?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Showed 6 miles of battery range, but switched over to ICE immediately, and the battery was greyed-out. Eventually (maybe 5 miles down the road) got a dash message of "Battery Too Cold, Plug In To Warm". 10 miles later, I assume that the battery had warmed up enough and it turned off the ICE.
"Battery Too Cold, Plug In To Warm" is a message that should only come up if the battery is very, very cold (and the car won't start if you have this message). I have left my Volt unplugged outside in -20F weather for a couple of days and have never seen this message. Typically this message happens if you have a temperature sensor issue in the battery pack.

·
Registered
13,838 Posts
If the battery is too cold, the ICE will supply all the propulsion power until the battery heater warms the battery to the proper temp. This is to keep the battery from killing itself and not suffer battery degredation like many leaf owners. I know a leaf owner who pretty much parked his leaf until the lease ends because he doesn’t want to get stranded due to this battery degredation. Amazing, he’s paying money to a finance company for the privilege of parking the car

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Something similar happened to me once on my 2017 two weeks ago during a real cold spell. Car was parked in my garage at about 40 degrees and my ERDTT was set to deferred (15 degrees) and the ICE started as soon as I hit the start button.

Odd behavior, but the car had been "cold soaked" when I pulled into the garage the night before so maybe that had something to do with it, I shut it off waited a few minutes and repowered the car on and it powered on in electric mode as usual.

Hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Sounds like what I had two weeks ago during the cold snap. I had parked in the driveway while it was hovering around 0F for a couple of days. Showed 6 miles of battery range, but switched over to ICE immediately, and the battery was greyed-out. Eventually (maybe 5 miles down the road) got a dash message of "Battery Too Cold, Plug In To Warm". 10 miles later, I assume that the battery had warmed up enough and it turned off the ICE.
Exact same thing happened to my wife a couple of weeks ago (MY2013). No message but after about 5 miles all went back to normal. Hasn't happened again. She was parked at the work parking lot and not plugged in with about 10°F. Originall 12v battery. I am thinking that could have something to do with it. Maybe getting weak.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just had the same problem on my 2015. Parked outside, unplugged for several days during a cold snap. Even though I had 6 miles remaining on the battery, the engine started immediately. Pressed the drive mode button and only normal, sport and mountain mode were selectable. Hold mode way grayed out. No messages except ice possible warning. After driving a few minutes car reverted to battery and hold mode was re-enabled. I wrote it off to battery cold soaking, but am surprised there was no message.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've had this happen to me twice on MY2014 while plugged. Battery unavailable (showing in grey with a full charge) with immediate ICE startup and usage (its not waiting for the usual heatup period before revving up) and then the battery becomes available after a few mins of driving. It happened only on very cold days even while being plugged. (-20c and -25c)

I am using a L1 only EVSE at home and so far, both times when it happened I had forgotten to set the charge rate at 12A. Problem did not occur on same temp conditions when set at 12A. It did not happen often enough to make any conclusions but 8A-12A charge rate might be something to keep an eye on when it happens (assuming you are using L1 EVSE).

·
Administrator
20,339 Posts
Sounds like a cold-soaked battery and/or ERDTT regardless of what did or did not display on the dash.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can the battery get cold-soaked while plugged in? I thought that couldn't happen, at least in these temps. 10 degrees this morning.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Can the battery get cold-soaked while plugged in? I thought that couldn't happen, at least in these temps. 10 degrees this morning.
Were you plugged in using L1 (120V) or L2 (208 - 240V)?

It's possible that thermal management might be somewhat restricted on L1.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
It's definitely related to battery temp (see link in signature)

But shouldn't happen while plugged in. It should be maintaining temp whenever attached to a plug.

I wonder if the program is designed to stop after a few days of vehicle inactivity to reduce energy waste?
(like how onstar shuts down after 5?7? days to save battery)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
canehdian, I followed your link and your experience sounds like mine. It was +10F here when it happened to me and I think that's about -12C or so which is close in temp to your situation. I never considered that maybe the car stopped heating the battery after a set number of hours/days. Similar temp this morning and car was fine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just bought my third Volt, a high mileage 2011. It also will randomly switch to gasoline before the remaining charge is used up. This is the fourth post I've made and it would be swell if I could access the Hidden Content in canehdian's signature line. I dropped the car off at the dealer this afternoon but I'd love to get some more info before they work their magic on my car.

Extremely cold and can only use engine?
Hidden Content

Jim

·
Administrator
20,339 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts