GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Had my ICE do a maintenance burn for about 10 minutes Saturday. Thursday it ran for 20 minutes due to cold temperatures, was 0 here. The maintenance was at a higher rpm (going by sound), I was surprised it had to run at all because of running on Thursday. I have a 2013. It ran maintenance until it got to 83% and then just turned off on its own. Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
How much gas was used when you had ERDTT? It may have not been enough to avoid an EMM.

Thanks to your post, I remembered that today was my day for EMM. It was probably the longest EMM of the 16 that I have had. I'm guessing that it is the colder temperatures.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I think the maintenance mode is not tied to anything but a mileage and time schedule on its own. It probably runs every 6 months whether you need it or not.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Mine never runs, but drive over 700 miles a week.

So there is a difference between maintenance and burning for stale gas (which, to my understanding, is based specifically on the age of the gasoline in the tank)?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I think the maintenance mode is not tied to anything but a mileage and time schedule on its own. It probably runs every 6 months whether you need it or not.
EMMs occur every 6 weeks if there has not been enough gas used. I do not know what the cutoff is. Probably around 0.1 gallons or so I guess. I would be interested in exactly what the cutoff is.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Mine never runs, but drive over 700 miles a week.

So there is a difference between maintenance and burning for stale gas (which, to my understanding, is based specifically on the age of the gasoline in the tank)?
There's engine maintenance, which keeps the engine in working order (lubrication, get the temperature high enough to evaporate water, etc). If the engine hasn't run long/hard enough in 6 weeks, this is what activates.

Then there's fuel maintenance, which runs if it determines the available gas is > 1 year old on average. (to prevent the gas from getting too old/stale)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
What I thought was weird is that we have had two instances of using more than a tank of fuel at a time. Two 600 mile round trips. The oil life indicator didn't move during either of those cycles, but will all of sudden start to fall when we are back home and just using electricity and not the next days, but a weeks later.

Also, you can sorta tell how hard the engine is running if you put the dash on the energy display - not the center stack leaf button, but actual driver's side dashboard. (at least on a 2013). The yellow line by the picture of the ICE tells you how hard the motor is working. At least when the sound of the motor gets higher the yellow line increases. I can also tell how much engine power is going to the batteries by watching the green line underneath the picture of a battery. (or yellow on the battery indicates battery drain)

Because of my long round trips every 2 months so far, I have not seen a EMM and I have only had the car for 4 months and obviously I don't have stale gas.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, didn't think about stale gasoline, but just checked, I put 7.9 gallons in November 9th, 2013, so don't think it should have run to burn gas. It did not burn much on Thursday due to ERDTT, about 0.1 gallons is what I remember. So even though it ran 20 minutes, it was at the low rpm setting to generate heat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
EMMs occur every 6 weeks if there has not been enough gas used. I do not know what the cutoff is. Probably around 0.1 gallons or so I guess. I would be interested in exactly what the cutoff is.
I'd like to know too. It's higher than 0.1 anyway. My 2012 had about 15 total minutes of ERDTT time last Thursday (6 days ago) and used 0.20 gal. I didn't drive it again until today and it actually started the engine for maintenance burn when I did a remote start, while plugged in, in the garage. Surprised the heck out of me so I shut it off and restarted when I was ready to leave. It burned 0.07 gal. before it shut off.

This was the first maintenance run I've had where I wasn't given the option to delay it up to 24 hours. It just started up the instant I hit remote start and then the instant I pressed the power button. Maybe that's because I've always driven the volt on the 42nd day of all electric and this time it was day 46. (I used my 4X4 pickup for a few days due to snow which is not that common in the Portland area - pretty much shuts the city down.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts