GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys I am exhausted from news about Tesla crashes, and other sad news, what about an update in ICE lubrication. With more than 100,000 Volts in the street, I would love to hear about OIL preferences by this forum's members. The social media is full of opinions, AMSOIL against the rest of the world.LOL. I know it has to be 5W-30 Dexos 1...but not all dexos were created equal? I read that a major oil company like EXXON somehow gets under the skin of GM , and suddenly MOBIL 1 is"recommended" ,becoming a must to have... and other oils like Valvoline less expensive are rarely mentioned. In the meantime the AC DELCO oil, GM baby is very hard to find. I know OIL is OIL but there must be one that is the best for our Volts. Thank you for your comments.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Guys I am exhausted from news about Tesla crashes, and other sad news, what about an update in ICE lubrication. With more than 100,000 Volts in the street, I would love to hear about OIL preferences by this forum's members. The social media is full of opinions, AMSOIL against the rest of the world.LOL. I know it has to be 5W-30 Dexos 1...but not all dexos were created equal? I read that a major oil company like EXXON somehow gets under the skin of GM , and suddenly MOBIL 1 is"recommended" ,becoming a must to have... and other oils like Valvoline less expensive are rarely mentioned. In the meantime the AC DELCO oil, GM baby is very hard to find. I know OIL is OIL but there must be one that is the best for our Volts. Thank you for your comments.
Mobile 1 5W-30 meets the Dexos-1 Gen 2 specification. (Dexos is a spec, like earning the "Top Tier" badge on gasoline. Meet it, you're good. Exceed it, that's fine too.)

Where the different Dexos come in is that they're specs for different applications. I know there's a Dexos 1 from when the early Gen 1 Volts came out, a Dexos 1 Gen 2 (which Volts can use but don't need) from around 2015 and a Dexos 2 that's suitable for diesels and some GM Euro engines, which you shouldn't use. There about nine hundred oils that hit the D1 mark, all the way down to "7-11", "Blain's Farm & Fleet" and "Safety-Kleen" branded oils. It's almost hard to get it wrong. https://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand1/

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since the engine of the Volt starts and stops all the time, I wonder if an oil with more fluidity is better then an oil with high viscosity, and if the new engine metal adhesive protectant molecules , coating the metal to metal during the first minutes ,are real protection or is another trick to increase sales ...What about protecting seals and rubber like the oil pump components. Thank you for bringing the Dexos1 gen,2 to the front line , interesting how each big car company recommends different oils. I wish GM AC DELCO would be more available outside the dealerships.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Auto parts store that also handle AC Delco parts have the Delco Dexos oil.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've used Mobil One in all my Corvettes, Mercedes's, BMW, and now my Volt and Jaguar. Chevy and Mercedes recommend it while Jaguar and BMW go with Castrol.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I was a Mobil 1 guy for decades as all my Vette's came from the factory with Mobil 1, even used it in my lawn mower and snow blower. But having owned 3 Volt's for the last 6 years I now just take it to my local Chevy dealer at the appointed time/mileage and have them service my vehicles to include tire rotations and re-learning the TPMS. So whatever GM recommends is good enough for me.

Guess I'm getting older. I no longer attempt to out engineer the engineers.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Since the VOLT OIL life meter is mostly time related, I have used the trip meter A to calculate the miles from the gallons I have used, because at least Gen 1 does not have a direct ICE miles meter. I change the oil at 5.000 miles , spite the new synthetic oils last 10.000 miles ?. I have never touch trip meter B, so I know the amounts of gallons I have used since the factory !!!. By the way I am using the Valvoline Syntech ,looks that coats the oil dipstick better and feels more "fluid",less sticky, critical for an engine that moves every 6 weeks, probably we should have a poll about oil preferences.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Engine oil is still somewhat relevant today but I can't help thinking of the Rolling Stone's line from 19th Nervous Breakdown - "Your father is still perfecting ways of making sealing wax." (Sealing wax is a hard colored wax that was/is used to seal letters, envelopes and other documents with a personal seal (sometimes the king or queen's royal seal.)

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
When the Volt had its last freebie oil change, I bought a case of the GM Dexos 1 at a decent price and put it in the garage.

·
Registered
419 Posts
JRRF and Bazinga: thank you for a modicum of rationality and fact in a thread which appears to be degenerating into another useless "oil type" thread, for which there appears to be no end in site on various Internet car forums... ;-)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Why useless?.Between hundreds of oils must be a better one and some to avoid, not different then tires, batteries and other car parts. Wouldn't you like to know which is the best for your VOLT ?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I've used Mobil One in all my Corvettes, Mercedes's, BMW, and now my Volt and Jaguar. Chevy and Mercedes recommend it while Jaguar and BMW go with Castrol.
Not to mention Porsche - who started the whole "factory fill with Mobil-1" thing when the 968 came out. However ever since Mobil lost the "we are synthetic and many of the other 'synthetics' aren't synthetic" law suit, it has been hard to tell who is synthetic (e.g., PAO-based) and who isn't (hydro-cracked dino).

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are new reports that mention MOBIL 1 has deteriorated by using the minimal level/ standard of dexos, and other oils being 100% dexos, whatever it means...since the engine starts and stops all the time probably viscosity is more important. By the way lagagnon, you should join a pure electric forum where this thread would be totally useless. LOL.

·
Registered
283 Posts
After reviewing the engine clearances I threw in a load of 0-20 synthetic. I'm not worried about damage but was wondering if the VVT would get along ok. No problems after two weeks. Some engines are sensitive to the wrong engine oil viscosity. The Hemi's actually look at temperature, pressure and VVT/MDS response time and can and will put the light on if it senses the wrong viscosity oil. Our little 1.4's don't seem to be so picky.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Since the engine of the Volt starts and stops all the time, I wonder if an oil with more fluidity is better then an oil with high viscosity....
My Volt's engine 'starts and stops all the time' except when it doesn't -- which is most of the time. When EMM kicks in after about 90 days, I'm hoping that high viscosity oil means there's some lubrication at start-up.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
IIRC, the ICE is rotated before the ignition is applied so oil is circulated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts