GM Volt Forum banner

ICE failure to start. Second major issue with volt. Keep or sell??

7K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Barry 
I have decided to use this forum as a way to document the progress. Hopefully if anyone else runs into this situation it can help them.

I received the car on 12/6. The dealer said it was ready 12/5, but when I went to pick it up it was less than fully charged. As that was a symptom of an issue prior to no start I refused to take it until it showed a full charge. I paid $250 for a new 12volt battery and came to back to get it Tuesday when it showed full charge. Wednesday 12/7 morning, I had an estimated range of 33 mile. The car bled off miles very quickly on my way to work and home in the evening. The day was in the mid 70's so temperature did not affect the battery. I returned home with only 3 miles estimated range left. I usually would arrive home with 15 or so miles to go after a typical commute. 12/8 was even more of marked bleed. I started with 35 miles and by the time I left the neighborhood, I had 29 miles and had driven barely 1 mile. On the way home I stopped to get a haircut with one mile residual range estimated. The trip to the barber extends my trip 4 miles round trip. I started the car and it instantly went into reduced propulsion. I tried to restart and again reduced propulsion. I had to drive home on a highway going no faster than 37 miles per hour. My total commute is 25 miles roundtrip. I attempted to call customer service again and left a message with my tech, but received no reply.

Today after charging for about 20 hours the propulsion battery is one bar from the top and the total estimated range is 27. MY family won't drive in it for fear of failure.

I wrote letters to the executive officers of GM requesting a buy back as I have already waited 2 months, paid $250, and have had the vehicle in two dealerships. I will wait to see what they say. As I write this I anticipate the vehicle returning to the dealership for more repairs.

The tech at the second dealer said that the first dealer erased all of the errors in the computer. Therefore getting warranty work done is next to impossible. He said he received the car in a "logic lock" condition probably due to number of unplugged connections and hap-hazard work from the original dealer.

Its a shame that such a wonderful little car can receive such poor support. I have had to explain the workings of the car to several techs because they say don't know anything about it. I could understand if this was the first model year. But my car is 4 year old. At this point it seems willful ignorance on the dealer and techs parts to not understand these cars.
HI okidoc,

We can completely understand your dissatisfaction with your experience thus far. If you'd like, I'd be happy to reach out to your dealership and look into this situation further on your behalf. To proceed, please send us a private message with your VIN, contact info, current kms and dealership name.

I hope to hear from you soon,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.