GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
search youtube for 86cFhTWrDa4 and 9kjtmC0YgUQ (I am mot allowed to post http link)

If you look at the 2nd video, you would almost think the guy faked everything (rust for example), but after watching the 1st video and also this from Tesla owner "Eresan" on Teslamotor forum

here is the quote:
"Eresan, Yesterday at 6:09 PM
There is a X signature for test drive in Portland store. The covers on the 3rd row seats have exactly same problem. Also the metal hardware that connecting the base of 3rd row seat to car has noticeable rust all over. I hope the current productions do not have those problem."

I also heard that Ford engineers think the Model X battery has not been designed properly, which means the battery would catch fire or get shorted after a lot of vibration, I remember GM did extensive vibration test and then drive Volt through water. Based on the low quality demonstrated by various sources, it is doubtful Tesla would do that, so it would not be surprising when MX get shorted when driving after heavy rain on a flooded street.

What is your opinion? I must Silicon Valley mentality think they are the best in everything, but in reality, their QC is comparable to Detroit in 1956.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
I also heard that Ford engineers think the Model X battery has not been designed properly, which means the battery would catch fire or get shorted after a lot of vibration,
Ford rumors are easy to make up. I heard that Ford engineers where very impressed with how far in advance Tesla was over Ford's battery tech. See how easy it is to make up stuff? :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I am confident that Tesla will support the Models S and X as they've done already, which is above and beyond expectations of a modern manufacturer. Unfortunately both cars have had some issues requiring more support than an average.

I am not sure how they can support the M3 in the same way if it is built at the volumes already reserved. I'm hopeful that they can, as it will ensure that GM has to continue to put effort towards the Bolt's success.

The Volt and i3 REx for that matter are both good cars, and both are available today. It depends on your ultimate goal - do you want an EV that will run for 10 years? 300k miles? Best efficiency? EV above all else?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These two videos and other people's complain (often simple stuff) tells you Tesla absolutely has no quality in their mind, how come you could have cracks on the sill and cover up with tape? When I watched the video 2 months ago, I thought the rust was joke, but other people confirmed it, so there is little doubt Tesla is extremely lax when it comes to quality, but they would blow up the universe for even small achievement, so called the bio-Weapon Defense Mode, serious?
With these in mind, there is no doubt they would not do a good job around the battery (this is much more difficult, much more time-consuming), and it is well known battery can short and burst into fire. GM was very conservative when they did all kinds of tests simulating battery degradation under various driving conditions, would Tesla do similar tests? If you think so, then you have some problem with your brain. they simply put things together and use paying customers as alpha-tester, and the QC is a total disaster.

Will buy a Volt, I don't think Tesla can survive with the lowest quality since 1950.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Someone needs to give the 2nd video author a lesson in vertical video syndrome. Screens are horizontal, not vertical.

Those falcon wing doors are nothing but a disaster. That's why the model X isn't on my short list of vehicles. I just see 6 inches of snow, opening the doors, and an avalanche into the cabin.

·
Registered
907 Posts
When I started down this EV path, I was really thinking I wanted a pure EV too. But I'm glad I got the Volt.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Video 2 reminds me of when our neighbor bought a 1977 Ford Granada. The hit list was very similar. Ford made sh*t cars then.

Gotta give the guy credit for a sense of humor - X crement?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Someone needs to give the 2nd video author a lesson in vertical video syndrome. Screens are horizontal, not vertical.

Those falcon wing doors are nothing but a disaster. That's why the model X isn't on my short list of vehicles. I just see 6 inches of snow, opening the doors, and an avalanche into the cabin.
YUP. Just like hatch back cars tend to dump snow on you when you open them...

I wish they had just made a SUV with standard doors and later released the fancy doors, but hey, Elon Musk is a very rich man doing things his way and I am not. Although I want him to be successful so he can pour that money into his space programs.

If Chevy would release an AWD EREV CUV it would be nice...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
When I started down this EV path, I was really thinking I wanted a pure EV too. But I'm glad I got the Volt.
Me too. I've been waiting for a pure EV since the 1970's, but have come to realize the Chevy Volt is a much better option.

I even owned a Nissan LEAF for a period, and got a first hand experience of the limitations of a pure EV, especially one with less than 100 miles EV range.

At some point I stopped being a purist and realized that reducing my gas usage by nearly 90%, with total freedom from the limitations of a pure EV, and without the need to build an entire charging infrastructure just to use it, was just a better option.

The Volt is an option most Americans could live with today. The revolution could begin right now with the Volt.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Heck, you CAN'T BUY a Model 3 yet. If you need a car now and can't wait another 2 years it's not even a comparison debate.

It would make more sense to debate a Volt vs Bolt. At least the Bolt will be on sale by the end of the year.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The Volt has 420 miles of range. That's double the range of the Model 3.

And you can refuel the Volt in less than 5 minutes at over 100,000 filling stations. With each filling stations averaging around 10 pumps, that's over 1 million filling station pumps in the U.S. alone.

Yet normal daily trips with the Volt are all-electric, so local gas station visits are practically eliminated. You may visit gas stations in other states more than your local gas station.

·
1,308 Posts
I also heard that Ford engineers think the Model X battery has not been designed properly, which means the battery would catch fire or get shorted after a lot of vibration, I remember GM did extensive vibration test and then drive Volt through water. Based on the low quality demonstrated by various sources, it is doubtful Tesla would do that, so it would not be surprising when MX get shorted when driving after heavy rain on a flooded street.
I far as I know, the Model X use the same battery pack design as the Model S and the packs may well be identical and interchangeable between both models. After 4 years and hundreds of millions of miles there are zero indications of any of those supposed problems.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I wish they had just made a SUV with standard doors and later released the fancy doors, but hey, Elon Musk is a very rich man doing things his way and I am not. Although I want him to be successful so he can pour that money into his space programs.
Yeah, but making cars didn't make him rich. Selling PayPal to eBay made him rich.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
<snip>

At some point I stopped being a purist and realized that reducing my gas usage by nearly 90%, with total freedom from the limitations of a pure EV, and without the need to build an entire charging infrastructure just to use it, was just a better option.

The Volt is an option most Americans could live with today. The revolution could begin right now with the Volt.
So much this. I think if more people understood it, the Volt (and Volt-clones / other EREVs) would be hugely popular. Wish I knew how to educate the masses... I work with engineers and most of them have no clue what the Volt really is ("it uses gas too?!?!"), so if technical people don't get it, the average Joe really doesn't get it. I have a theory that if you put something in a movie with Matt Damon, people will remember it. Maybe Jason Bourne can have a 1-minute aside in the next movie about a Volt works :p

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
So much this. I think if more people understood it, the Volt (and Volt-clones / other EREVs) would be hugely popular. Wish I knew how to educate the masses... I work with engineers and most of them have no clue what the Volt really is ("it uses gas too?!?!"), so if technical people don't get it, the average Joe really doesn't get it. I have a theory that if you put something in a movie with Matt Damon, people will remember it. Maybe Jason Bourne can have a 1-minute aside in the next movie about a Volt works :p
I posted this "gas pump" conversation somewhere else but I can't find it so here goes again.

Guy (with the attitude that he'd "caught" me doing something) - Why are you putting gas in that, I thought it was electric.
Me - It is, but when the battery runs out it switches over to gas so I can keep going.
Guy (still with attitude) - Oh so it does run out of electricity?
Me - Well yeah after about 40 miles
Guy - So then what, are you stuck?
Me - no, then it switches to gas and I keep going
Guy - so what happens when it runs out of gas?
Me - pretty much the same thing as any other car.
(he just looks at me completely not understanding).

I'm pretty sure that somehow he though the gas gave me 40 miles of electric and that was it for the car.

·
Registered
224 Posts
So a year ago, I was very certain I was going to buy a CPO Model S to replace our '06 Sienna van. Our Sienna has had many strange issues since it crossed the 60K miles mark (right after the warranty expired). 2 leaking steering racks, 2 failed sliding doors, clicking HVAC servos, etc. The slipping transmission was the last straw.

The failed sliding door motors was what made me take the Model X from consideration. Each sliding door was $2K to repair (a slightly sagging door hinge would abrade the motor cable, slicing it until it wraps inside the door motor, killing it. The doors would be stuck open or closed, or open halfway (and you can't close it). NHSTA safety recall was a great thing--Toyota reimbursed me $4K for both doors.

As much as I enjoyed our extended drive on the Model S, I still couldn't justify it (even as a CPO). The surrounding Superchargers are starting to have lines of Teslas waiting to SC, and the SF Bay Area infrastructure (while pretty decent) still hasn't caught up with the rapid growth of EVs and PHEVs here.

It was a nice wakeup call. I ended up replacing our Sienna with a '16 Volt last October. No regrets whatsoever. We've taken our Gen 1 on ski trips (reports of lines for the SC at Rocklin and Truckee confirmed that the Volt was the best option). Our Gen 2 to Yosemite also confirmed the same--the Tesla HPWC at our Oakhurst hotel was down, and there's no other L2 charger aside from a few at Yosemite Valley. Manteca SC was available, but I've also heard summer traffic will form lines for that one.

I'd like to go back to a pure EV one day, but right now, both our Volts more than satisfy our needs. While SCs continue to be installed, the Model X is also taking off, and Model 3 will certainly require a whole lot more SCs.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I share your frustrations about being unable to educate the masses.... even more so after seeing 400,000 people place a pre-order for a Tesla model 3. I can't understand how so much hype can be generated for the M3 and none for the Volt..

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You may visit gas stations in other states more than your local gas station.
You hit the nail on the head.

The most common road trip I take is from Phoenix to Tucson. I typically buy gas in Tucson at the same Circle K and don't buy gas again until the next time I go to Tucson, where I fill up at the same Circle K. I got into this pattern because on the first trip, I started with only half a tank.

So far this year, I have filled up 4 times at the Circle K in Tucson, and have not filled up at all in Phoenix....

·
Registered
260 Posts
I posted this "gas pump" conversation somewhere else but I can't find it so here goes again.

Guy (with the attitude that he'd "caught" me doing something) - Why are you putting gas in that, I thought it was electric.
Me - It is, but when the battery runs out it switches over to gas so I can keep going.
Guy (still with attitude) - Oh so it does run out of electricity?
Me - Well yeah after about 40 miles
Guy - So then what, are you stuck?
Me - no, then it switches to gas and I keep going
Guy - so what happens when it runs out of gas?
Me - pretty much the same thing as any other car.
(he just looks at me completely not understanding).

I'm pretty sure that somehow he though the gas gave me 40 miles of electric and that was it for the car.
That is pretty sad. In what part of VA did this take place?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts