GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving in ranging extending mode(or hold mode for that matter) I noticed that when the battery is providing the power and the engine is off the miles still get added to the gas miles rather than EV miles. I think I probably drove the car several miles on battery alone around town after I had run out of juice.

·
4,851 Posts
The engine was off, but if your battery was already depleted, the energy still came from gasoline. Hence why the car accurately records those miles as gasoline miles.

It's analogous to when a regular old Prius hybrid shuts its engine off and runs on electric power a bit. Those miles are also counted as gasoline miles, and rightfully so: the energy still came from gasoline. ;)

Ford does like you suggest in their plug-ins, and counts any engine-off miles as electric miles, while also counting those miles towards the gasoline MPG of the car. Effectively, they're being very sketchy in that "math" and, personally, I think they are being very misleading. As far as I know they're the only ones that do this. Kind of surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deng it. That makes sense.....Sigh.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Your Volt is an electric car. It is pushed down the road by an electric motor.

The electric motor has three sources of fuel. Grid electricity is stored in the battery. Gas-generated electricity is created on the fly as needed. Regenerated electricity is also created on the fly and stored in the battery. All Volt miles are fueled by electricity. Why differentiate Electric Miles at all? In a Volt world, what is an Electric mile? What is a Gas mile?

I suggest the Volt Electric mile mirrors the Leaf or Tesla Electric mile: a mile driven on grid electricity stored in the battery (enables one to compare AER, mi/kWh, etc.).

In this world, battery power put there by regeneration when driving on grid power from the battery counts as Electric miles when used. Battery power put there by regeneration when driving in Hold or Mountain Mode or with a fully depleted battery counts as Gas Miles when used.

·
4,851 Posts
Deng it. That makes sense.....Sigh.
No worries, many people wonder that from time to time. They could have done a better job naming the mileage sources. Electric miles is kind of ambiguous, since electricity can come from the grid or from gasoline. But they must have thought that sounded better than "Grid electricity miles" haha. :)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
In gen 1 there is one small window where you get "ripped off" still.
If the battery is very low it decides to switch to gas (gas pump pops up), mileage counts as gas, but the engine may not start for several mins, or even not start at all. All that mileage still came from wall energy.

Other than that, they've explained above :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts