GM Volt Forum banner

I used snow chains on the volt/ moutain mode question

20K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  PilotAlan 
#1 · (Edited)
This weekend we have gotten a lot of snow in pdx, on the way back from the store i was not able to make the last hill to go to my house. After several failed attempts of getting up the hill while using mountain mode, does it help in the snow getting up hills?

Can I use snow chains on the volt?

#4 ·
After several failed attempts of getting up the hill while using mountain mode, does it help in the snow getting up hills?
Mountain Mode keeps the battery about half full to help when climbing long mountain passes. It doesn't help you with traction issues.

If you're having trouble in snow, you can try turning off traction control (button is on overhead console) Basically this will let the wheels spin freely when normally the TC system prevents it.

#6 · (Edited)
I'd assume that you'll not need to do this very often, given your location.

Five miles at a time (at moderately low speed) shouldn't do your car any harm (especially if they are cable-type "chains").

#7 ·
There are a lot of things that you aren't "supposed" to do. As long as the chains aren't physically contacting the inside of the wheel well and causing body damage, there is really no way for them to cause any other type of damage. You won't bend rims, ruin bearings, bust CV joints, bend axles, destroy transmission, or overload the drive system. It's just not physically possible. Just like with any other vehicle, you need to keep the speed down due to the vibration and unbalancing effect of using snow chains.

As previously mentioned, winter tires are really the best answer. I have a complete set of rims and tires set up for winter use on all my vehicles. It takes me about 15 minutes to swap them out when the weather is going to turn icy and 15 minutes to switch back to the all-season (aka 3 season) tires when the weather is warm again. Tire Rack ships them to my door cheaper than I can buy them locally and they showed up mounted, balanced, properly inflated, and even included a new set of lug nuts for free. The caveat for using winter tires is to ONLY use them in the winter. They are awesome in snow and icy conditions, but they suck in the summer and wear out incredibly fast.

#8 ·
I do the same. I have a snow tire set for each of my cars. Bolt them on and take them off as needed. I got mine from TireRack as well. The Volt is awesome with snow tires. But then again, that's my experience with snow tires on any car I put them on. :)

#9 ·
I don't understand why "Mountain Mode" did not work for you. Maybe it was just a simple hill you were on. Could that be it?

When I select Mountain Mode I can climb the highest mountain!

One of these days I'm going to RTFM...

As soon as tirerack comes up with some steel wheels I might buy a set of winter tire/wheels.
But winter has to end soon,, it just has to...

#10 ·
As soon as tirerack comes up with some steel wheels I might buy a set of winter tire/wheels.
But winter has to end soon,, it just has to...
Norton, my local tire shop found me these:
X40911
17X7.5 5X114.3 FORD STEEL WHEEL HB 70.6

for my Micheline xIce3s in the OEM size. They fit fine, but there's not much room left in the wheel wells. Maybe you can take this info to Tire Rack and see if it helps.

#12 ·
David,

I live in Eugene. The snow on the roads is, or I should say "was" now, horrible. Back in December I was making a trip over the mountains heading down to California. We had just had the bad snow storm earlier that month. I knew that regular chains could not be put on the car. I called my dealer and asked about zero clearance chains. I was told they may work. So I did some research and found K-Summit chains by Thule. Granted, they are rather expensive. When I got them, I had to make some adjustments to get them to stay on the tires. The instructions do call for making adjustments, you just have to make the right one. Finally, I did and took the car out for a test drive. They worked like a charm. They may not be for everyone due to the cost, but as far a clearance in the wheel well goes they are great.

#19 ·
Something new everyday !

AndY,

You have actual winter tires "but for extreme road conditions I bought autosocks:"

Have you tried covering your winter tires with fabric yet?
From the site: We developed the idea of making AutoSock out of a high-technology textile fabric with high friction properties according to new theories on the effect of electrostatic charging and pressures on friction.

Come,on, those germans know a few things but this.....
I think I'll wait for an actual comparison test, done on American Ice and Snow.

Until then, these will paddle your way through deep snow and ice for $30:
http://www.amazon.com/Security-Company-SC1032-Radial-Traction/dp/B000VAKXVA/ref=pd_ts_zgc_auto_15706671_2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&pf_rd_p=1286577002&pf_rd_s=right-3&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000648651&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0CGK8NHJH582BKMHYEHK#productDetails

I just hate the idea of laying down in the snow to install them.
Come on spring !!!!

#21 · (Edited)
AndY,

They have a product to sell in those vids.

I'm from Missouri.....( you have to 'Show Me')
I want a 3rd party comparison test.

I would never consider covering my expensive hiking boots with socks to get more traction.

You already spent money on skinny 16" quality winter tires. (That's what I want. But I want springtime even more.)
Let us know if yours are better wearing socks on the outside!

#25 ·
I have some. They work, and are approved as a chain substitute when chains are required on WA passes. If DOT is calling for chains, you MUST chain up, unless your vehicle is AWD. Studs and/or snowtires notwithstanding.

I came across a couple whose Volvo was stuck in a parking lot with deep snow. Standard tires were spinning uselessly. We put my Autosocks on his car, and it took off without any wheelspin, none!

#26 ·
From Colorado DOT (their website) https://www.codot.gov/travel/winter-driving/TractionLaw :
Traction Law (Code 15)
During an active Traction Law, also known as a Code 15, motorists will need to have either snow tires, tires with the
mud/snow (M+S) designation, or a four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicle — all tires must have a minimum one-eighth inch tread. You can also install chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock) to be in compliance with the law if your tires aren't adequate.

Passenger Vehicle Chain Law (Code 16)
During severe winter storms, CDOT will implement a Passenger Vehicle Chain Law, also known as a Code 16 — this is the final safety measure before the highway is closed. During a Passenger Vehicle Chain Law, every vehicle on the roadway is required to have chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock).

Fines
Motorists driving with inadequate equipment during a Passenger Vehicle Traction or Chain Law could be fined more than $130.

If a motorist blocks the roadway because they have inadequate equipment during a Passenger Vehicle Traction or Chain Law, they could be fined more than $650.

#27 ·
We got stuck in Seattle with our just-leased Volt. I'm often skeptical of dealer recommendations because I think they're overly-cautious, but I've heard horror stories about chains doing damage to cars. We dropped $100 on a set of Auto-Socks and ended up driving around 45 miles on them. They worked very well. They're a lot quieter and smoother-running than chains, and they're very easy to install. Not so easy to remove once they get packed with ice, but I was able to remove them in less than five minutes. They were still in excellent condition after 45 miles--some of it pavement rather than snow and ice.

I don't get the skepticism and animosity in this thread. Most DOTs recommend Auto-Socks for cars with limited clearance.

#28 · (Edited)
Yeah, I don't get my previous skepticism. After seeing Colorado call them out by name, I'm ready to buy.
They're available on Amazon Prime so I can have them in 2 days. I'm waiting for a bad weather forecast before getting them.

Last two winters I didn't need help. I did experience a 3" slippery snow where A/S tires would not get me up a slight hill. It was a horrible commute home that day....

#32 · (Edited)
Also in PDX. Purchased cable type "chains" and tightening device (looks like a spider bungee and goes on the outside of the wheel) at a local NAPA store. Used them to go about 100' - to get the car out of my driveway and up a short hill, recently, when the snow and ice just wouldn't melt. Worked fine. Limited wheel well space makes putting them on a bit of a chore, but I didn't experience any damage. Cost about $42 for all. They're now on the floor, behind the driver's seat, for the next time.

We don't get enough snow or ice in downtown to warrant a full set of winter tires and rims, unless you go skiing regularly, IMHO.

#33 ·
Another PDX'er checking in. I drive up to Mt Hood for work somewhat frequently, but just got my Volt and have only been up there once since then. No issues at that time, but only went as far up as Rhododendron. Think I'm going to get some chains for the next time I drive up to Govy.

My last car was a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4, so it will take some adjustment to get used to the Volt in the snow. Anyone have any suggestions? Are chains or cables easier to put on since we don't have much clearance in the wheel well?

#34 ·
Cables that I purchased are super easy to put on and are made to work with the Volt's limited clearance. You don't have to drive onto them. You simply wrap them around the tire. Refer to my post above detailing what I purchased and how to put them on. I practiced several times. Easy as can be. Hope I never really need them, but as I live in Mountains of Kentucky, and they are giving 8-14 inches of snow and we just got three today. I might end up needing them if I really need to get out;)

#36 ·
Those look like what I got, with the "rubber adjuster" for about the same or less $ at a NAPA store. Would've preferred the cables that run diagonally (rather than perpendicular, as these do) but they were out of those. (The other version doesn't require driving onto the cables to mount, as noted in an earlier post.)

#37 ·
FYI, I just saw the Postal Service truck in my neighborhood running Autosocks.
If Autosocks work for them, they're good enough for me. A set ordered to go under the floor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.