GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This weekend we have gotten a lot of snow in pdx, on the way back from the store i was not able to make the last hill to go to my house. After several failed attempts of getting up the hill while using mountain mode, does it help in the snow getting up hills?

Can I use snow chains on the volt?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
After several failed attempts of getting up the hill while using mountain mode, does it help in the snow getting up hills?
Mountain Mode keeps the battery about half full to help when climbing long mountain passes. It doesn't help you with traction issues.

If you're having trouble in snow, you can try turning off traction control (button is on overhead console) Basically this will let the wheels spin freely when normally the TC system prevents it.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'd assume that you'll not need to do this very often, given your location.

Five miles at a time (at moderately low speed) shouldn't do your car any harm (especially if they are cable-type "chains").

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
There are a lot of things that you aren't "supposed" to do. As long as the chains aren't physically contacting the inside of the wheel well and causing body damage, there is really no way for them to cause any other type of damage. You won't bend rims, ruin bearings, bust CV joints, bend axles, destroy transmission, or overload the drive system. It's just not physically possible. Just like with any other vehicle, you need to keep the speed down due to the vibration and unbalancing effect of using snow chains.

As previously mentioned, winter tires are really the best answer. I have a complete set of rims and tires set up for winter use on all my vehicles. It takes me about 15 minutes to swap them out when the weather is going to turn icy and 15 minutes to switch back to the all-season (aka 3 season) tires when the weather is warm again. Tire Rack ships them to my door cheaper than I can buy them locally and they showed up mounted, balanced, properly inflated, and even included a new set of lug nuts for free. The caveat for using winter tires is to ONLY use them in the winter. They are awesome in snow and icy conditions, but they suck in the summer and wear out incredibly fast.

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
There are a lot of things that you aren't "supposed" to do. As long as the chains aren't physically contacting the inside of the wheel well and causing body damage, there is really no way for them to cause any other type of damage. You won't bend rims, ruin bearings, bust CV joints, bend axles, destroy transmission, or overload the drive system. It's just not physically possible. Just like with any other vehicle, you need to keep the speed down due to the vibration and unbalancing effect of using snow chains.

As previously mentioned, winter tires are really the best answer. I have a complete set of rims and tires set up for winter use on all my vehicles. It takes me about 15 minutes to swap them out when the weather is going to turn icy and 15 minutes to switch back to the all-season (aka 3 season) tires when the weather is warm again. Tire Rack ships them to my door cheaper than I can buy them locally and they showed up mounted, balanced, properly inflated, and even included a new set of lug nuts for free. The caveat for using winter tires is to ONLY use them in the winter. They are awesome in snow and icy conditions, but they suck in the summer and wear out incredibly fast.
I do the same. I have a snow tire set for each of my cars. Bolt them on and take them off as needed. I got mine from TireRack as well. The Volt is awesome with snow tires. But then again, that's my experience with snow tires on any car I put them on. :)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I don't understand why "Mountain Mode" did not work for you. Maybe it was just a simple hill you were on. Could that be it?

When I select Mountain Mode I can climb the highest mountain!

One of these days I'm going to RTFM...

As soon as tirerack comes up with some steel wheels I might buy a set of winter tire/wheels.
But winter has to end soon,, it just has to...

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
As soon as tirerack comes up with some steel wheels I might buy a set of winter tire/wheels.
Norton, my local tire shop found me these:
X40911
17X7.5 5X114.3 FORD STEEL WHEEL HB 70.6

for my Micheline xIce3s in the OEM size. They fit fine, but there's not much room left in the wheel wells. Maybe you can take this info to Tire Rack and see if it helps.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Norton, my local tire shop found me these:
X40911
17X7.5 5X114.3 FORD STEEL WHEEL HB 70.6

for my Micheline xIce3s in the OEM size. They fit fine, but there's not much room left in the wheel wells. Maybe you can take this info to Tire Rack and see if it helps.
I, for one, would be hesitant to bolt up wheels with the wrong hole pattern diameter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
David,

I live in Eugene. The snow on the roads is, or I should say "was" now, horrible. Back in December I was making a trip over the mountains heading down to California. We had just had the bad snow storm earlier that month. I knew that regular chains could not be put on the car. I called my dealer and asked about zero clearance chains. I was told they may work. So I did some research and found K-Summit chains by Thule. Granted, they are rather expensive. When I got them, I had to make some adjustments to get them to stay on the tires. The instructions do call for making adjustments, you just have to make the right one. Finally, I did and took the car out for a test drive. They worked like a charm. They may not be for everyone due to the cost, but as far a clearance in the wheel well goes they are great.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I don't understand why "Mountain Mode" did not work for you. Maybe it was just a simple hill you were on. Could that be it?

When I select Mountain Mode I can climb the highest mountain!

One of these days I'm going to RTFM...

I don't get your comment, Norton.
MM has NOTHING to do with traction, it only builds a reserve of energy in the battery in case the way up is to demanding for the generator alone but you certainly dont get more traction from it!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I, for one, would be hesitant to bolt up wheels with the wrong hole pattern diameter.
Css28
, I didn't install them and I wasn't aware of any discrepancy. From where I sit in the driver's seat there are no issues. Thanks for he heads-up, I will look into it. The ref # came from my invoice, the description from a website.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Css28
, I didn't install them and I wasn't aware of any discrepancy. From where I sit in the driver's seat there are no issues. Thanks for he heads-up, I will look into it. The ref # came from my invoice, the description from a website.
I believe the hole pattern is 5X 115 mm.

At this point you might as well leave them in place but it could be that torquing them down will have stressed the studs somehow.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I believe the hole pattern is 5X 115 mm.

At this point you might as well leave them in place but it could be that torquing them down will have stressed the studs somehow.
Well, I could have the wrong ref #, the wrong description, or the wrong rim. I hope it's one of the first two, but I'll check it out. Thanks.

·
Registered
692 Posts
For winter, I use winter tires Continental WinterContact TS830P XL (205/16/60) which have not failed me so far, but for extreme road conditions I bought autosocks:

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Something new everyday !

AndY,

You have actual winter tires "but for extreme road conditions I bought autosocks:"

Have you tried covering your winter tires with fabric yet?
From the site: We developed the idea of making AutoSock out of a high-technology textile fabric with high friction properties according to new theories on the effect of electrostatic charging and pressures on friction.

Come,on, those germans know a few things but this.....
I think I'll wait for an actual comparison test, done on American Ice and Snow.

Until then, these will paddle your way through deep snow and ice for $30:
http://www.amazon.com/Security-Company-SC1032-Radial-Traction/dp/B000VAKXVA/ref=pd_ts_zgc_auto_15706671_2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&pf_rd_p=1286577002&pf_rd_s=right-3&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000648651&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0CGK8NHJH582BKMHYEHK#productDetails

I just hate the idea of laying down in the snow to install them.
Come on spring !!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts