GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

This is my first post but I've been on the forums since I bought my 2014 Volt last December.
I've read all the posts regarding tuning and for whatever reason there is a lot of misinformation.
I contacted BadNews Racing about getting a tune for my 2014, initially thye said they would work with me on, but i never got a response after a few contact attempts. I contacted Jess at Waitforme Performance. I think his name on here is wait4me. He agreed to tune my 2014.
Anyways, I just got done loading the tune and am pretty happy with the results. Its not earth shattering but a good deal for the money and makes the car more pleasant to drive.

Test conditions:
82 degrees, gas tank nearly on E. Tire pressure was 42 in the front and 40 in the rear. Everything is stock and the car has just over 8000 miles.
I ran several 0-60 times in sport mode and got between 9.0 to 9.2. In hold mode I got around 8.8 on average. There was one 8.7. Mountain mode was around 9.4. I didnt bother testing normal mode.

After the tune: Jess seems to modify the 0-30 restrictions. For the first time ever I was burning rubber in a volt lol. I guess the initial torque does a number on our 215 tires. Its not a crazy burnout unless im making a turn while accelerating. Going straight I can hear the tires slipping from about 0-30.
sport mode and hold mode were a little faster, not a huge difference.
I only timed mountain mode because a cop showed up where I was testing so Ill have to do it again maybe this weekend.
Mountain mode 0-60 was as low as 7.5! The average was around 8 seconds.
Keep in mind im timing this with a cell phone timer as im driving (on a secluded street) and the volt is tough to read because it doesnt always peg the speedo at 60. It also has lag from 0-5mph so I tried to stay consistent as to when I started the times.

Either way its definitely faster and a little more fun to drive.
Im sure you guys will want a video so Ill have to find a way to get one made and upload it here.

Thanks Jess, you are the man!!!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I have no idea who you are or what you just said, haha Are you saying I didnt do this?
The code can't be modified that would allow that change, whom ever you are for Jess at Waitforme Performance. Plain enough for you?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The code can't be modified that would allow that change, whom ever you are for Jess at Waitforme Performance. Plain enough for you?
What proof would you like? I said I would post a video is that not good enough for you? How about you drive here to Long Beach and see for yourself since there's probably no other way in the world you would believe it? Right? Not sure why you are so a little hater but I dont work for Jess and if you do some research you will see he tunes a lot of GM vehicles. Instead of asking me questions about how its done you automatically just call me a liar.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Before reaching any conclusions let's wait to see. Personally I wouldn't try to tune the Volt. On the one hand, yes we know the cells are not pushed to their limits. On the other hand we know that pushing beyond the edge can damage the cells. This view may be because the Volt works for me "as is". I never really feel I need more. But that's me.

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
I want my tires slipping when I drive. How much does it cost to achieve this?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Hey guys,
After the tune: ... For the first time ever I was burning rubber in a volt lol... ... Its not a crazy burnout unless im making a turn while accelerating.
Are you sure they didn't just turn off 'Traction Control' and cover the yellow icon with a piece of black tape?

That would give you the results you are describing.

You could do this yourself, for free....

·
4,862 Posts
I have no idea who you are or what you just said, haha Are you saying I didnt do this?
Don't listen to Henry, he takes an ornery position and doesn't back off from it. The truth is that there is certainly "nanny software" that limits initial power to the motors, and if properly modified with checksums and all that good stuff, I see no reason why it can't be changed/enhanced.

Personally, I might pay for the change. Limiting it only to sport mode or something would be nice, but I don't know how it is implemented. Maybe I should contact this guy.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Sounds like the testing method is sloppy enough that we can't really be sure there's any difference. Maybe it's real or maybe it's wishful thinking and observer bias. How much did this "tuning" cost?

·
Registered
13,562 Posts

Have you been able to confirm if the speed limiter has also been removed with your 'tune'!?:confused:
I was thinking about this picture the other day. I think I can do this with a tripod, camera, switch it to metric snap a pic, switch to US, snap another, then photoshop the MPH over the km/h.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Congratulations!

Don't listen to those other people being sarcastic and nasty. "Haters gonna hate" and all that jazz.

Just enjoy it. (Responsibly and in an environmentally friendly way, of course :)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
What proof would you like? I said I would post a video is that not good enough for you? How about you drive here to Long Beach and see for yourself since there's probably no other way in the world you would believe it? Right? Not sure why you are so a little hater but I dont work for Jess and if you do some research you will see he tunes a lot of GM vehicles. Instead of asking me questions about how its done you automatically just call me a liar.
Don't worry about Henry_FL he seems to think hardware can decrypt machine language realtime.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
go out to your local drag strip and make the run where they print out your run data...vehicle, 1/4 mile time, etc.

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
Does that make the car accelerate faster?
No, turning off traction control usually causes you to lose traction, thus spin your wheels, thus accelerate slower. Now if you could be right on the edge of losing traction, then you might accelerate faster. But the problem with FWD vehicles is as you accelerate, you're pushing your weight to the back tires, causing less weight to the front tires, which are the wheels providing traction. That's why so many drivers love RWD because as you are applying power, the weight shifts to the rear wheels, which helps you get more traction. Go peel out in a CTS-V on a race track and you'll never want a FWD for performance driving ever again. FWD is great for snow and day to day driving, just not for burn outs and drag strips.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Impossible is just a thought; "impossiblers" limit their mind and try to influence the others that way.

Everything is possible to a willing mind. Enjoy it.

I just hope that gen-2 has a feature to accelerate with both engine and all motors in say "ultra sport" mode not that I would regularly use it but to have that ability would be a novelty. Like Tesla; to "have that child in design". Maybe that is what set GM and Tesla apart!

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
Impossible is just a thought; "impossiblers" limit their mind and try to influence the others that way.

Everything is possible to a willing mind. Enjoy it.

I just hope that gen-2 has a feature to accelerate with both engine and all motors in say "ultra sport" mode not that I would regularly use it but to have that ability would be a novelty. Like Tesla; to "have that child in design". Maybe that is what set GM and Tesla apart!
You must have meant "built in design"

1 - 20 of 155 Posts