GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent years following this car. Like most of you I did my homework, ran the numbers and built spreadsheets. I've heard the bad news and read the worst online, realizing most of it was hyperbole and yellow journalism. This is a great car and the test drive sold me.

I go to the dealership today and offer them a few percent below sticker for a new, loaded 2012 Volt. Their answer? "We can't do that." Not even a counter offer. This car and its siblings have been on the lot all winter. I have driven by them almost every day wondering if they would be sold.

I came with my own financing, no trade and no drama. I don't think what I offered was unreasonable and it makes me wonder what else is going on in back room.

On to another dealership...

·
Registered
921 Posts

On to another dealership...
That's your best move. If the cars have been sitting that long, there must be a reason, and moving on, is always the better choice.
My wife and I have perfected the walk-out, sometimes they let you leave because they think someone else will pay what they want, other times they cave. Only way to find out which is to walk...

Our Volt shopping started at the closest dealer, test drive, everything looked great until the sit-down price talk stage where the $5K ADM was first mentioned. They let us walk, and the next day we got what we wanted at a dealer only a few miles further away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Exact same experience on Wednesday. They gave me a take or leave offer and were u willing to negotiate. I left and said they could call me if they wanted to sell the car. They never calle so I went to another dealer ten miles away and they came down twice as much as the other guys. Of course I let them know beforehand how I was treated. They worked with me and now I have the car. Love the volt.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
If you post where your looking ( State/City ), there are many on the board that can suggest proven good dealers

Just as an example, I know we have a few that bought from this dealer ( below is the link ), there on a mission to be number one in the country in Volt sales, or so I'm told :rolleyes:

It cost 400-900 to have a car shipped, depending on how far the distance, but aside from that, it not much more to deal with to buy out of area, if that's what it takes to get a good deal

Here is and example, about 3300 off MSRP

http://www.stingraychevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/new-2012-Chevrolet-Volt-5dr_HB-Plant_City-FL/1462630133

Also, call the Volt advisers, they can suggest other dealer that have stock near you.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Always disclose whether or not you are going to lease, finance, trade or whatever after the final purchase price is agreed upon. When they ask are you financing etc.. just say, "I'll discuss that after the final purchase price is agreed upon". They know they can make money on the trade as well so you're more likely to get the price you want. I used to go in asking about financing and leasing terms and found I'd get the best price that way even though I'd eventually pay cash and never actually said I was leasing or anything.

MrEnergyCzar

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in NoVA so we're talking a large number of potential dealerships within an hour drive. I got a call back from the dealer I mentioned in the original post and they "want to talk" so I'll see where that goes. I hope they are serious this time and stop the shell games they played last time. I also have about five quotes that came in this afternoon so it appears there is some interest in being serious about selling.

This is such a different buying experience than I'm used to. I usually buy Hondas and each time it has been simple and almost boring. The salesmen are doing volume sales and you are there to boost their numerator. A Honda might as well be a gallon of milk. The Volt on the other hand...has been like playing Blackjack. The dealer has what he paid face down (which he may be angry about) and you must play a game as they try to recoup losses.

Not exactly the best way to sell a product IMO.

·
Registered
194 Posts
This is such a different buying experience than I'm used to. I usually buy Hondas and each time it has been simple and almost boring. The salesmen are doing volume sales and you are there to boost their numerator. A Honda might as well be a gallon of milk. The Volt on the other hand...has been like playing Blackjack.
This is why you ALWAYS deal with the "internet sales manager" or "fleet sales manager." They also work on volume, not margin, and are compensated appropriately. And that translates into much, much less bull**** for the buyer.

- Mark

·
Registered
320 Posts
Although my salesman was a family freind it took a little back and forth to gt him to where i wanted to be. the cars I was looking at was a loaded 2011-44,500 and a 2012 with no nav and little extras 42,800. i got him to settle on 40,500 for the 2011 and 40,300 for the 2012. I know the 12 had some cooler stuff but i got the 11 anyways and i'm very happy.....

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'm in NoVA so we're talking a large number of potential dealerships within an hour drive. I got a call back from the dealer I mentioned in the original post and they "want to talk" so I'll see where that goes. I hope they are serious this time and stop the shell games they played last time. I also have about five quotes that came in this afternoon so it appears there is some interest in being serious about selling.
I had pretty good success at Koons in Tysons Corner. I went to their website and found a fully loaded Volt for $46K. I clicked the "Get WOW Quote" and quickly received an email for $3100 off the MSRP. I then walked in the dealer, took a test drive and then showed them the internet quote which they honored. I decided that I didn't want to pay the extra for the Nav and wanted the MyLink radio, so I ended up ordering one instead.

·
Registered
267 Posts
This is why you ALWAYS deal with the "internet sales manager" or "fleet sales manager." They also work on volume, not margin, and are compensated appropriately. And that translates into much, much less bull**** for the buyer.

- Mark
Seconded! I almost always go for that person. Well, most of my buys have been started from the internet so this makes sense anyway.

I bought mine from Guillermo at Sterling Chevrolet. I really liked the guy.

You have to sometimes feel out the right people and not take no for an answer unless its the district manager you're talking to. I don't think I've ever bought a car where at least the dealership manager didn't have to sign off on my discount. If I'm not there 8 hours, I haven't done enough to get myself the best deal.
I came with my own financing, no trade and no drama. I don't think what I offered was unreasonable and it makes me wonder what else is going on in back room.
Point is, know the limits and preconceptions of who you are talking to. A low-level sales manager can't always authorize a below-sticker price depending on the car and it's current demand so depending on the personality type will just say "no". Agreed this isn't a great way to sell the car. A better response would be, "Come on in, I'm sure we can work something out. Let's take a look at what we have to offer you." Also, I've heard some dealers don't like to deal with self-financed people as there are commissions for them nabbing dealer and manufacturer sponsored financing deals. Hold that in your back pocket. It's no drama to you, but it's not like that for the dealer. It's your trump card, but don't just walk in and hit them with your trump card and expect a great deal.

Then at least you can start working the system. I almost always have bought cars that in high demand with limited availability and so most all of my deals go this way. It's not always a manufacturer thing.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I got mine from the Dealer Henry_FL mentioned-Stingray. They have a $99 Dealer Fee (which is cheapest around here I found), and I did negotiate back and forth a little, but I was trading a car, and mine was a demo, so some of that was involved. I felt like a got a good deal, and it was the least stressful car buying experience in many years. So I agree, take your business down the road. And deal with the sales manager or an experienced salesperson. I called the Dealer and spoke to the sales manager who set me up with one of the senior salespersons. If you want the name, PM or email me, I'll provide it to you. I'm not affliated, just a happy customer.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
This is such a different buying experience than I'm used to. I usually buy Hondas and each time it has been simple and almost boring. The salesmen are doing volume sales and you are there to boost their numerator. A Honda might as well be a gallon of milk. The Volt on the other hand...has been like playing Blackjack. The dealer has what he paid face down (which he may be angry about) and you must play a game as they try to recoup losses.
I have to say that buying the Volt was not a lot different than you're describing and not that different than buying our other cars. Might be the price point?

Generally I've always negotiated over the phone. Usually takes just a few minutes. The only thing different with the Volt was that I was happy with MSRP since many dealers wanted above MSRP. Just as a point of information, you might want to look at trucar.com. It supposedly has good information. http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/chevrolet/volt-pricing/

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
This *&^*(%#$!#$$% sure makes me happy that as a company car driver, I can't negotiate on the vehicle I have to buy every 4 years. The employee price is the employee price and that's it!

Pete

PS. I'm a crappy negotiator. Good thing I don't need to do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm currently using TrueCar, Edmunds, KBB, etc. to price the available cars and their options. Those services currently suggest I offer about $500 over invoice, probably because we are approaching the end of the model year.

I have a couple of dealers who are working to get me an itemized price list since several quotes have turned out to be apples to orange comparisons (i.e., not having navigation or Bose audio), spiced up with the requisite fine print. I already offered one dealer the suggested price, but they balked and surprisingly did not counter.

I'd really like to close a deal. I was kind of shaking my fist at the pump tonight when I filled up, remembering the sweet whirring sound of my electric date!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Volt Advisor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, finally got a couple of quotes for Volt premiums in several different colors.

A few of them come with dealer installed options like car covers and such, but one thing I noticed was that they are calculating tax differently. Some base the amount on MSRP others on the "Internet" Price. Which is correct? I wonder if it has to do with state law (VA vs MD).

The other thing I noticed was that several quotes were not including the destination fee, which as I understand it is $850 for everybody. True?

Does anybody have a good idea on how to prorate the price down due to the fact that the 2013 models are coming out in a few months?

thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts