GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bypassing every gas station has become a pleasurable experience. I have gotten use to my independence from big oil, the $100B economic behemoth and accomplished source of misinformation on climate change.

With instant torque that is close to and even surpasses some sports cars, I am addicted to the Volt and the electric car driving experience.

The quiet driving experience is also addictive and makes the sound system sound better. Why buy the best sound equipment in a $50K Mercedes, BMW, Audi, or Cadillac when it is difficult to hear over the noise and vibration (especially when accelerating)?

I seem to be mostly invisible to police that watch for loud, fast cars that might be singled out for "unsafe" driving or exceeding the speed limit.

Why buy a big V8 or supercharged/turbocharged V4 or V6 that has a fast 0-60 time when most driving involves speeds between 0 and 45 MPH (where the Volt's or other EV's electric motor excels)?

I plan to never buy an (exclusively) gas car again. And many EV car drivers seem to agree.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I agree. There is no question electrified cars are revolutionary and have benefits well beyond the purely environmental. Once there are good options in all vehicle categories and price ranges, people are going to be switching to these cars in droves. They just make sense.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Why buy a big V8 or supercharged/turbocharged V4 or V6 that has a fast 0-60 time . . . .
Not too many V-4's still around . . . . and I'm racking my brain to come up with any which were ever turbo or super charged. Anyone else know of one??

Don

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Not too many V-4's still around . . . . and I'm racking my brain to come up with any which were ever turbo or super charged. Anyone else know of one??

Don
The OP meant 4 not V4. There are lot's of turbo charged 4s out there, they've pretty much replaced 6 cylinder cars. It's not new, my 87 LeBaron GTS was a turbo 4.

·
Registered
897 Posts
The OP meant 4 not V4. There are lot's of turbo charged 4s out there, they've pretty much replaced 6 cylinder cars. It's not new, my 87 LeBaron GTS was a turbo 4.
I agree about what the OP meant. My '11 Cruze Eco is a turbo 4, same 1.4 as the gen1 Volt.

My sister once had a Saab 96 with a V4. Not turbocharged though. It was her first car while in college, and kind of a beater. I helped her replace the brakes which was a PITA. Too much rust.

Our 2018 Volt is the last car we will ever buy with an ICE. We do 73% of all miles on electricity. Next car, in maybe 7-9 years, will give us 100% of all miles on electricity. Plenty to choose from by then.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
My replacement car for the Volt will likely be a full EV. Maybe a used model 3. Maybe a used Kona EV or something that hasn't even been introduced yet. Likely not a used Bolt though. However, I'm not made of money and my wife likes vehicles like our current CRV, so when that needs to be replaced it will likely be replaced with a RAV4 hybrid or something similar.

As it stands I have only used .9 gallons of gas in the last 6 months (half of which was engine maintinence and errant ERDTT startups). So I really don't need gas for my daily duties. Even if I drove a first gen Nissan Leaf or a Spark EV, I could do all my driving without gas and likely not have range anxiety. However, I do want to be able to travel to visit family that lives ~75 miles away and having something with 150+ mile range (in winter) would be nice.

·
Registered
982 Posts
We visited a wildlife refuge for the first time in the Volt.
I ran the vehicle in HOLD mode most of the way there, and we drove around the refuge using 100% electric.
The super quiet was a great benefit.
We had some windows down and could really hear the birds and didn't spook any of the animals.
Also, the vehicle didn't shake or vibrate when left "running".
Vibrations interfere with getting clear photographs (we use real cameras), but an electric vehicle doesn't vibrate.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
We have a 2016 Volt Premier approaching 55,000 miles soon. 17,000 miles or so just on gasoline, the rest on electric. We use our
Volt and really are not so critical on going out of electric range and having to use gasoline, 87 octane at that. Yesterday my wife, me, and our big black Lab, Sparky, went fishing and filming to one of the Tillamook County Oregon rivers for Steelhead. Had to actually
travel a mile up on a gravel logging road to reach our fishing area.

When we returned home I took a dash photo of the readout upon returning to our driveway, which is attached. Now what car can do that, and here GM is pulling the plug on the Volt.

20190113_185103.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts