GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning the windshield, I noticed that the box which holds the receiver is not attached to the windshield, but it IS attached to the upper edge of the headliner.

Is it supposed to be attached to the windshield with 3M tape or an equivalent?

Thanks for the assistance!

·
Administrator
20,188 Posts
Are you saying the cover is lose or the unit itself is free from the windshield?

The unit should be firmly attached to the glass. I would suspect adhesive tape is used.

The cover will have some wiggle room, but not a lot.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cover is attached to the unit just fine. It's the whole thing that hangs off the windshield about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch..

Thanks for the response!

I'll use an inch of 3M tape and attach it

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Cleaning the windshield, I noticed that the box which holds the receiver is not attached to the windshield, but it IS attached to the upper edge of the headliner.
When my buddy at work got his 2014 Volt, the black box was completely detached, and hanging free. We found two brass studs attached to the glass, and keyholes in the box that fit onto the studs. After some difficulty, we managed to push the box onto the studs and slide it down towards the dash to lock it into place. This was a smaller box than the one on my 2015 which has a camera inside.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no camera, but I can feel inside the unit what can only be described as a loose coin sliding around in a slot. It's the most bizarre thing. Some kind of motion detection??

I'll look again and see if there are studs which are supposed to hold it in place...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I have no camera, but I can feel inside the unit what can only be described as a loose coin sliding around in a slot. It's the most bizarre thing. Some kind of motion detection??

I'll look again and see if there are studs which are supposed to hold it in place...
Maybe it is a coin. Kids love to drop coins in slots, A/C vents, just about anything.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had my windshield replaced recently and I thought I also noticed two studs in the glass, don't know if the glass came that way or the installer attached them to the glass.
Is it possible there are two nuts inside that box that hold the box to those studs. Maybe one came completely off and sliding around and the other is loose???

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm off work tomorrow, so I'm going to take a better look and use a mirror to look inside this thing... Not a big deal, but would like to make the car 100%...

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Please , a picture if someone finds one - not had this problem but may :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Are you talking about the plastic cover that goes over the wires and sensors behind the rear view mirror? When I bought my car mine was loose in what sounds like the exact same way. There are two retainers on each side up high and one clip that fits into a slot on the cover at the bottom. The plastic slot a the bottom had broken out. I removed it from the car and epoxied a strip of aluminum over the slot that had broken out (totally covered when installed). The reinstalled. Install by sliding the bottom slot in first then pressing the two side clips in.

When I checked a new cover was like $6. So might not be worth repairing it. But for me it cost nothing and I had it on the next day.

·
Administrator
20,188 Posts
When my buddy at work got his 2014 Volt, the black box was completely detached, and hanging free. We found two brass studs attached to the glass, and keyholes in the box that fit onto the studs. After some difficulty, we managed to push the box onto the studs and slide it down towards the dash to lock it into place. This was a smaller box than the one on my 2015 which has a camera inside.
Thanks for the info! So, no double sided tape.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is this the cover you are talking about? Pics of the back after it is off. The clips are more at the top then sides. The shinny metal is wheee I repaired it.
Yes, that's the cover that is loose, but it's attached to the receiver, just not attached to the windshield. I haven't had time to play with it, but perhaps today after work I'll take a look..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts