GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been planning this for a week or so, and wanted to time it just right. One person posted where they had 42 PSI and 42,000 miles. 42 would have been nice to try being a Douglas Adams fan, but too late for me. However, 50,000 was coming up. So I was able to do this last night. I had to use a public charger as there was NO WAY, I could hit 50 MPH in my neighborhood!

I had to make sure I could keep my 50 mi range for about 0.3 kWh used. To do that, I drove extra conservative (even for me). I was able to stay with 50 miles range up to 0.5 kWh used. Hardest part was that darned PSI. Not easy getting them to all read 50. Two kept jumping from 49 to 51.

Some more pictures of my dash.

Next up, 50,000 EV miles. That will have to wait until tomorrow though!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Very nice and congratulations! I just hit the big 10,000 and I bought my 2012 at the end of October.

I'm so glad I bought this car with my 46 mile daily commute.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How very symmetrical of you! Guess it will have to be Gen 2 for 60/60...
Nicely done!
Well a 2013 or newer Volt could do the 60/60/60,000

·
Registered
472 Posts
I really like the "Gallons of Gasoline Saved" number - that should shut up the naysayers whose only arguement is payback period over a cheaper vehicle.

2159 Gallons at 3.75 a gallon - $8096 saved on gasoline avoidance (yes i know it does not consider electric cost/pollution) - if your trend continues you will save ~$32,000 in gas over 200,000 miles!

After the tax credit my volt cost me $25k new.

Nice Job!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2159 Gallons at 3.75 a gallon - $8096 saved on gasoline avoidance (yes i know it does not consider electric cost/pollution) - if your trend continues you will save ~$32,000 in gas over 200,000 miles!
Well, my total investment into the Volt after tax credit and trade in was $25,500. My break even point is around 156,000 miles or 7.75 years. This of course does not even factor in reduced maintenance costs. In 50,000 miles I have spent a grand total of $312. Most of that was tire rotations. I was even able to use a coupon on my one oil change back in December!

How many other cars can pay for themselves in gas savings alone? People do not realize the Volt can actually make you money vs staying with your old ICE powered car. I plan on keeping my Volt for many, many years. I want to see how many miles I can get out of the HV battery.

·
4,862 Posts
Haha, awesome, love it.

I did a similar pick, 38mph, 38psi, 38 miles range remaining. This one takes the cake though. Too bad you didn't have 50 miles of gas range remaining! ;)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Hahaha! Nice.

Did you have to fiddle with the tire pressures very long to get them all at 50psi?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha, awesome, love it.

I did a similar pick, 38mph, 38psi, 38 miles range remaining. This one takes the cake though. Too bad you didn't have 50 miles of gas range remaining! ;)
Interesting you should bring that up. I had about 41 miles remaining after my fill-up last week due to FMM and that really bugged me. I was used to having it say LOW. I forced the car to burn a little gas yesterday (open hood), so my old friend LOW would be back. I would have put it off, but that 41 miles would have messed up the perfect sequence. Plus adding more gas was not going to happen!

Hahaha! Nice.

Did you have to fiddle with the tire pressures very long to get them all at 50psi?
Yes, took me about 20 minutes. Had nothing else to do anyway while I was waiting for the charge to complete at the Mosaic District. Charge was free though!

·
Registered
252 Posts
That's sick! (meaning 'cool') :cool:
We can't play with the numbers much on an ICE. The best we could do was hit some cool ODO number (my fave is 123,456) and take a photo. Now with the Volt, we can play with all sorts of numbers. It boggles the mind!

·
Registered
918 Posts
This must have required serious planning. Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This must have required serious planning. Congratulations!!!
Thanks! Yes, I had the perfect charger picked out, but then the eVgo station stopped working, so it required a change of plans. Using that eVgo charger ended up causing a CEL and also refused to charge.

Also did not help that it had been raining like crazy here. I had to beef up my EV range to an estimated 54 mi to be able to get to keep my 50 miles range for 0.3 kWh or so. Some really slow driving my last few charges made sure of that.

·
4,862 Posts
Interesting you should bring that up. I had about 41 miles remaining after my fill-up last week due to FMM and that really bugged me. I was used to having it say LOW. I forced the car to burn a little gas yesterday (open hood), so my old friend LOW would be back. I would have put it off, but that 41 miles would have messed up the perfect sequence. Plus adding more gas was not going to happen!
I think it would have been much more amusing to see you pumping 5 cents into your tank at a time and waiting for the estimate to go to 50 miles. And given all the other awesome coordination you did here, that would not be outside the realm of possible. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
A work of art!

I will be hitting 90,000 miles by the summer, but think it best not to try to get my tires up to 90 PSI.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I tried mine with 15 but it was pretty boring, driving 15MPH and only getting 15 miles battery estimate at 15K miles with 15 PSI!

However, getting the Battery Mile estimate down to 15 was fun!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts