·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
One of my wife's girl friends bought the ICE Spark and she loves it. It is my understanding that the ICE version is manufactured in Korea.

I also read something to the effect that more of the Spark EV will be built stateside, keeping high tech manufacturing in the U.S.

It may be that the price difference not only covers the cost of the additional components (i.e. batteries and electronics), but also the costs associated with the constructing these new manufacturing facilities. I suppose that we will learn more about this in the future.

From G.M.'s perspective, the Spark EV isn't a cause. Dan Akerson is determined that G.M. not only will never go bankrupt again, but that G.M. will be competitive in an increasingly globalized environment. Consequently, he is driven to operate G.M. with more discipline and efficiency than it ever has been in its entire history.

The outside observer cannot underestimate the shock effect that the bankruptcy had on G.M.'s culture.

·
Administrator
20,882 Posts
I agree with the author, I'm sticking to a horse.

You don't need to crank it to start it! These "auto-mobiles" make no sense and will never be a success. They are more expensive than a horse and they can't be ridden through the forest or across streams or up a rocky slope.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

You don't need to crank it to start it! These "auto-mobiles" make no sense and will never be a success. They are more expensive than a horse and they can't be ridden through the forest or across streams or up a rocky slope.
TRUE tongue-in-cheek observation. I do like the Spark EV a LOT, and even at its higher price, I still think it is a good deal because of the fuel savings, if you keep it for 10 years. I just wish it were $7K cheaper. Pretty please, GM.

·
Registered
147 Posts
A horse what a great ride, No car can touch it no matter how drunk you get as long as you don't fall off the horse will always find his way home. and you don' need air bags.
Yeseree the car will never catch on.
:)

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I bet (unsubstantiatedly) that the AONE battery system is at least $15K in there. Electric motor and other circuits probably $8K. Add the Spark ICE chassis and shipping around of all the parts, who knows - could be close to $30K. The battery is definitely going to be more than the battery cost going into the Volt. 1kWh of AONE >$ 1kWh of LG Chem.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts

Too bad I can only afford a used car and not a horse. Oh, since I don't have a barn, the cost of boarding a horse in commercial stable is about $500-$750/month, and DIY care average cost is about $360/month, not including vets and other emergencies.

·
Super Moderator
6,391 Posts
A horse what a great ride, No car can touch it no matter how drunk you get as long as you don't fall off the horse will always find his way home. and you don' need air bags.Yeseree the car will never catch on.:)
Funny post guys. I've been on a horse in the pitch dark on a high mountain in MT and thankfully the horse knew where it's dinner was (and mine!).

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I also read something to the effect that more of the Spark EV will be built stateside, keeping high tech manufacturing in the U.S. ....snip...... Dan Akerson is determined that G.M. not only will never go bankrupt again, but that G.M. will be competitive in an increasingly globalized environment. Consequently, he is driven to operate G.M. with more discipline and efficiency than it ever has been in its entire history. QUOTE]

The motor and transmission assembly will be made in Baltimore by GM. Our first traction motor production ever!

I agree with the second part wholeheartedly. Akerson and Ammann, expecially, are at GM to make MONEY not cars. Within reason, every model off every platform has to be profitable. I'm not saying Volt or Spark have to pay for the battery plant, the motor assembly plant and all the development work. Yes, that will get spread out for years across many vehicles. But if we lose a bunch of money on a segment, they will drop the segment. Does GM make a vehicle with sliding doors???

·
Registered
4,384 Posts

BAD pollution problems though. If all of the cars on the I-405 in L.A. were replaced with horses it would get pretty slippery and stinky pretty quick. And I think that the "exhaust" is very high in HC.

·
Administrator
20,882 Posts
A more practical question: would you rather buy a new Spark EV or a used Volt coming off lease, given they will both likely be about the same price?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A more practical question: would you rather buy a new Spark EV or a used Volt coming off lease, given they will both likely be about the same price?
Now That's the right question (to quote James Cromwell/Alfred Lanning's holograph from I, Robot).

It depends on the exact real-world range of the Spark. 60 miles would really press my limits. 85 would be nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts