GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer got the order forms in today, so we placed my order and as soon as he gets his allotments, I am first on his list.

I ordered one in the Burnt Orange, loaded, with all options. I don't know the price yet, may get info on that in a few days. :)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Hot damn... you da man! I'm officially jealous.

Blind buy or subject to a test ride?

I promised myself I'd wait till the upcoming NY winter comes and goes-and place my order in the spring... I hate when I act all adult and logical :mad:

(in my best capt. Kirk voice) ....must...resist....ordering....:D

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
My dealer got the order forms in today, so we placed my order and as soon as he gets his allotments, I am first on his list.

I ordered one in the Burnt Orange, loaded, with all options. I don't know the price yet, may get info on that in a few days. :)
More details! Were they physical forms, or in the dealer's computer system??

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Congrats! I just asked chevy chat a second time today and was told you cannot yet order but he'll connect me to a dealer who will contact me once ordering opens...lol

You'd imagine that when orders open the forum sponsors would post...

But if anyone else is able to order, please share any paperwork (remove personal data) you have...

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perhaps I should clarify a little we filled our the order, and I have a physical copy, but The order won't take effect until the dealer gets his first allocation, which will probably be within the next couple of weeks. And this dealer is selling at least a couple a month of the Volts I believe, so he should be good for getting my allocation immediately, once allocations are handed out. I am first in line, in other words.

He had the order form in his computer,as of this morning. And, yeah, no deposit required, since they don't even have prices for any of the RPO codes yet.

And, other than carefully viewing and perusing all the videos and reviews of the Bolt online, I haven't physically seen one yet. I am hoping to buzz down to L.A. for this fall's car show and get to see one live, and this dealer has a Burnt Orange Cruze due to come in in a few weeks, so I will get to go see the correct color then at least.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am pretty confidant the Bolt will be a VERY good fit for me. I drive a minimum of 30 miles every day of the year, and would often cover more like 60 or more miles some days, especially when I don't have to use gas to do so. Also, I will be able to drive quite a bit more of those miles on freeways, when I don't have to deal with "gas anxiety".

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Sounds like a real order and you're the second the mention that their dealer called them...Very interesting Chevy Chat doesn't seem up to date on this but on the other hand, with the Gen2 it seemed like a month after orders opened Chevy Chat lost a lot of detailed info they used to give out and would often say "we have no further info, please contact your dealer"...So perhaps that's the case here...

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Hot damn... you da man! I'm officially jealous.

Blind buy or subject to a test ride?

I promised myself I'd wait till the upcoming NY winter comes and goes-and place my order in the spring... I hate when I act all adult and logical :mad:

(in my best capt. Kirk voice) ....must...resist....ordering....:D
Noooooo. Potential BEV owners should test
(a) on a very cold winter day
(b) on a really ****ty winter day

Then you'll get a really good baseline.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A really cold winter day here would be a low of 35 degrees.

A really Really cold day is when we get a little ice on some of the overpasses.

I think it has been roughly fifteen years since we have had snow. :)

I get about 50 miles range on my 2011 in Spring, and roughly 30 miles range in winter, so I think I would still get over 200 miles range with a Bolt in winter here. :)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I did. Hedrick's Chevrolet.

They know I expect a good deal, since there are really good deals likely down in L.A.

But I want to support the local dealer.

When I bought my 2011 Volt, the other dealer in Fresno was literally rude, said they weren't going to sell Volts at all. They are also a Cadillac dealer, and later, I got the same response about the ELR from them. I haven't even checked back ever to see if they have changed their attitude.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Noooooo. Potential BEV owners should test
(a) on a very cold winter day
(b) on a really ****ty winter day

Then you'll get a really good baseline.
I will be keeping a close eye on every owner based post here once deliveries are made, especially ones concerning range.
With that in mind-I only drive 25mi to work, then 25mi home- with a L2 charger at work and at home- so I'm confident I can make it 25mi in the Bolt no matter how severe the weather. :D

The main reason I'm waiting till early spring to buy is that 1) I have a set of true winter tires/rims for the Volt and I'd rather go through the winter with them, 2) I'd rather not subject a brand new vehicle to all the salt we use here if I can hold it off till the next winter.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Rick from Keyes... Rick from Keyes - anyone???

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The worst I ever heard reported on this forum for winter range on the Volt was about low 20s on the 35 or 38 mile EPA rated Volts.

So the same percentage of mileage should yield at least 120 miles, and more likely 140 miles or more of range in the worst winter conditions up north.

And, the people who use it in city conditions and can resist drag racing every other car from stop lights will probably be getting closer to 300 miles of range, I bet.

I, however, am seriously considering autocrossing it in at least a few local events, and if we feel it is competitive in it's class, in some events in northern California, which will obviously involve getting a chargepoint card and finding where we can get some quick charging both going and coming back.

I promise to post here as much as possible my experiences and impressions on the Bolt, as a previous PHEV owner, as I am sure many will be interested in direct comparisons between the two.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hello Rick?? Keyes??

·
Registered
142 Posts
Interested in seeing the Bolt autocross. My guess is it won't do all too well, but also won't be terrible. I toyed with getting a Spark EV to modify and autocross in an ST class, but we had twins and I haven't been able to get to any events even to watch. Hopefully in a few years they will want to go along, and I can give my wife a much needed break on the weekends.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I expect the Bolt will need better tires to improve it's cornering and traction for acceleration, but the fact that Tavel designed it to have better handling than the other "boxy" electrics should mean it has better capabilities then one might guess. I know the Volt has far better handling with better tires, so I am encouraged by that example.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts