GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on this forum for years, but never posted anything since I did not have a Volt...I have had a Prius C and I currently own a Prius V (wife's car). Very excited to become part of the Volt Family with my new 2017 Volt LT!

20160824_125014056_iOS (2) (Small).jpg

-M

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
awesome , welcome aboard. I just traded my 2013 Volt for a 2017 and in f days of ownership I have my GOM reading 60 miles, and based on my last four days of driving my usual routine I should have no trouble meeting or exceeding 60 miles of range.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome , welcome aboard. I just traded my 2013 Volt for a 2017 and in f days of ownership I have my GOM reading 60 miles, and based on my last four days of driving my usual routine I should have no trouble meeting or exceeding 60 miles of range.
Awesome...I am going to charge up tonight (dealer did not charge at all) and see how it does on my work commute tomorrow! Congrats on your new 2017!

-M

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Congrats on the car. I'm sure you'll enjoy both the efficiency and the quiet smooth quick ride. My guess is that, coming from the Prius, you might get 60 miles. Keep in mind that the range estimate is just that, an estimate, and one greatly influenced by hills and temperature. So your estimated range will depend on whether you go down hill ten miles or up hill ten miles.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new Volt, happy motoring

·
Registered
244 Posts
Welcome! I joined in 2008 and kept up to date here while I cycled through two Priuses and a C-Max Energi. I always wanted a Volt because I thought they made sense, but until I retired early this year, I needed more room for my work equipment. I bought my 2017 LT in June, and have been very pleased with the car. IMHO, it's miles ahead of my previous hybrids or plug-in. It's what I wanted in 2010, but couldn't have until now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Here are my first EV drive comments:

1.) I charged up fully on 120V 12AMP This morning the car said I had 48 EV miles...huh...?
2.) Filled tires to 40PSI all around
3.) Drove 22 miles to work....Still have 42 EV miles left!! so I assume the EV range takes a couple charges to calibrate...but I like the possible 64 mile EV range (if extrapolated)
4.) Drives ultra smooth and ultra quiet!
5.) I did not need to use AC or Heat since it was 70 degrees out.

So far very happy!

-M

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Here are my first EV drive comments:

1.) I charged up fully on 120V 12AMP This morning the car said I had 48 EV miles...huh...?
2.) Filled tires to 40PSI all around
3.) Drove 22 miles to work....Still have 42 EV miles left!! so I assume the EV range takes a couple charges to calibrate...but I like the possible 64 mile EV range (if extrapolated)
4.) Drives ultra smooth and ultra quiet!
5.) I did not need to use AC or Heat since it was 70 degrees out.

So far very happy!

-M
We refer to that gauge as the guessometer. The Volt takes the current miles/KWH and multiplies it by the remaining KWHs in the battery to get the range estimate. It appears that it doesn't use a long time average, it uses a figure derived over the last few miles. That's why you can leave the house with a range of X miles, drive five miles and have a range of X + N miles. The first number is based on the MPKWH that the car had on the last trip but it's quickly adjusted to a new higher (or lower) MKWH. The battery range is very sensitive to speed so you will see ranges in the 60s when you are driving on rural roads and it can drop under 50 when you are doing 80 on a highway. Going up hill or down hill also has a big effect. The regen braking puts power back into the battery so if your final destination is at a lower altitude you can get very good mileage, of course on the way back it will be worse. You will get an idea about what your real range is pretty quickly but the guessometer is just that, a guess.

·
Registered
242 Posts
So how does the Volt compare to the Prius? What's better, what's worse?
As someone who sold his 2006 Prius (140,000+miles and not a single repair!) and took delivery of a 2017 Volt about a month ago, I can say that there is no reasonable comparison. The Prius was a turtle (a reliable turtle) that got exemplary gas mileage (~45MPG) during 3 months of the year. It was no fun to drive unless you were under 15mph (on the battery).

The Volt however, is an absolute pleasure to drive, at any speed. The interior is nicer, more ergonomic and Carplay is far more usable than the Prius' nav system. Only downside is the visibility out the rear window (the Prius had a clear window in the bottom of the hatch, the Gen2 Volt does not, thus if someone is tailgating you you cannot see their headlamps. Requires a bit extra caution. Plugging in, charging, and driving 99% on EV at the moment has been easy-peasy.

Goodbye Hybrids FOREVER. Hello EREV!

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
We refer to that gauge as the guessometer. The Volt takes the current miles/KWH and multiplies it by the remaining KWHs in the battery to get the range estimate. It appears that it doesn't use a long time average, it uses a figure derived over the last few miles.
The remaining kWh is also an estimate too. Since the "kWh used" at the point of Charge Sustaining (CS) switchover varies some... And by "last few", it's on the order of 50 miles, not 5. A 22 mile trip would do a lot of influencing though, so coming home won't be as dramatic an increase.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The biggest factor in range estimate calculations is driving history. I don't drive economically at all. Like most people in this area I drive 75 or 80 mph on the freeway. I don't pay a lot of attention to my range estimate, but it's always around 30 (I have a gen 1). If I wanted to increase my range estimate by driving extremely conservatively for a day or two it wouldn't work. The car is too smart for that.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The remaining kWh is also an estimate too. Since the "kWh used" at the point of Charge Sustaining (CS) switchover varies some... And by "last few", it's on the order of 50 miles, not 5. A 22 mile trip would do a lot of influencing though, so coming home won't be as dramatic an increase.
The range estimate changes much too quickly for it to be based on a 50 mile average, I think they are using a much shorter average. It would be nice to know what the algorithm really is, I'm guessing based on observation, I assume you are guessing also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great information. Thanks! So far today I have gone 65 EV miles and it still says I have 3 EV miles left! What a fun car!

-M

·
Registered
788 Posts
I find the EV range to be very good when not using the climate system. So far this summer I have been averaging between 56-58 miles but I normally have the Eco mode going at all times. When the weather cools off a little in the fall, I should be using the AC less often.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Also 44.2 mpg just on gas from a cold engine start with a new engine is not too shabby up there and above with Civics, Corollas. etc...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts