GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The method of looping the cable through the rim with a padlock or parking the car on the wire both work but I wanted to come up with something better. So I made this:
Cord protector.jpg

Action shot:
Cord protector in use.jpg

The cord can freely move through the groove. There is also room for a extension cord if using one.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
The method of looping the cable through the rim with a padlock or parking the car on the wire both work but I wanted to come up with something better. So I made this:
View attachment 156815

Action shot:
View attachment 156817

The cord can freely move through the groove. There is also room for a extension cord if using one.
Looks promising. What about attaching a bottom plate to the cable trough you machined, with the charging cord installed inside the cover. Then there would be less chance of the charging cable shifting and getting pinched by the edges of the metal trough as you rolled forward onto the metal trough. The metal trough would be permanently installed on the charging cable but would be small enough to not get in the way when you did not choose to use it to secure the EVSE/charging cable.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I would be concerned about the effects on the tire over the long term being parked on something deflecting it so sharply. I don't even let my tires touch my back up blocks, I drive ahead an inch but then I was born and raised in an area of the country (Manitoba and Calgary) where it got so cold the tires would remain flat, going thump, thump, thump, down the road until they warmed up a bit from the friction. If it was longer the tire would take a normal set on it. Of course two things against that is high tire pressure and tires on the car wear out before there is any long term anything. I have the outlet inside and use 1x3" that the door closes down on leaving a gap for the cord. I do that when it's cold and not for theft protection because I live in an area where petty theft is unheard of and there are lots of stuff left outside to take, although if they wanted it they would just cut the cord.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks promising. What about attaching a bottom plate to the cable trough you machined, with the charging cord installed inside the cover. Then there would be less chance of the charging cable shifting and getting pinched by the edges of the metal trough as you rolled forward onto the metal trough. The metal trough would be permanently installed on the charging cable but would be small enough to not get in the way when you did not choose to use it to secure the EVSE/charging cable.
I never thought about putting a bottom plate on it. Good idea. When I rebuilt my Lear EVSE, I put a piece of stainless steel pipe 1/4" wall, 1" ID on the J1772 cable but found it did not work well so I took it off. Ill make a flat plate for the bottom and try it out.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I never thought about putting a bottom plate on it. Good idea. When I rebuilt my Lear EVSE, I put a piece of stainless steel pipe 1/4" wall, 1" ID on the J1772 cable but found it did not work well so I took it off. Ill make a flat plate for the bottom and try it out.
I imagine the trough is made of aluminum. Will it need to be drilled and tapped for machine screws or just drilled, use self tapping screws?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Nice, I like it, but as already noted, flat spots might be an issue in Winter. Maybe a grooved out piece of plywood would also work, but not raise the tire as far?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice, I like it, but as already noted, flat spots might be an issue in Winter. Maybe a grooved out piece of plywood would also work, but not raise the tire as far?
I tried wood a while back and it slowly deformed due to the weight.

Im thinking of remaking the part but instead of being 2 inches wide, making 5 or 6 inches and a ramp on both sides.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
It seems to me that it is more trouble to set up than the method of looping through the wheel and clipping a pad lock on it. With your method you have to get back into the car to pull onto the cord. With loop and lock, you just walk away at that point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts