GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somehow if fell out of my backpack yesterday and I need to replace it. Does anyone know what it will cost to get a new one and what the dealer will require from me? How long it takes to get a replacement? :(

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I can't help you with your first or last question, but I can tell you the dealer won't need anything from you. My dealer messed up and gave me my second key unprogrammed. There is a procedure in the manual to program a key (and it is rather offbeat- turning the key clockwise 5 times, then do this, then do that). So you will just have to get the new key (delivered to you?) and you can take it from there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It doesn't take too long. About 3-5 days for them to ship it. We lost one of our keys (maybe got pushed in the garbage) and we contacted the parts department, they ordered it and we programmed it at home according to the owners manual.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Interesting, so that laser cut key that whips out is generic? All you have to do is program thru the car and done?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your responses.

As some of you already knew, a replacement key for the Volt isn't that expensive; my dealer ended upcharging me $47.72 to get the new one. He said he'd have it, in about a week and I'd have to bring the car in to have the key programmed by them. He did say that it would already be cut by GM when he receives it so I won't have to worry about that part of it.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased that a new key isn't going to cost me as much as I thought it was going to.

From now on, the key will be kept in my pocket!

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Interesting, so that laser cut key that whips out is generic? All you have to do is program thru the car and done?
For USA vehicles, this is essentially true, so long as you still have at least one key/FOB that is already programmed, you can then follow the procedure in your owners manual to quickly and easily add additional key/FOBs. (there's even a more lengthy owner process in the event you've lost ALL of your keys)

The process for Canada however is a bit different as they have different legislations affecting the immobilizer. So for Canada you must have in your possession at least TWO previously learned FOBs in order to add additional units , otherwise you will have to visit your dealer to add keys/FOBs.

WOT

·
Registered
305 Posts
Would love to just buy one online myself so I don't have to go to the dealer and have one of the annoying sales guys ask me if I want to trade in today to get a brand new XYZ! Literally every time I walk in the place. If the service dept. wasn't so nice... haha.

·
Registered
1 Posts
de-program a lost key?

I also lost one of my keys. I am fearful, should it be found, then my car would be easily stolen. It was lost NEAR where I parked my car, I think. CAN THEY UNPROGRAM THE LOST KEY, RENDERING IT inoperable?

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I also lost one of my keys. I am fearful, should it be found, then my car would be easily stolen. It was lost NEAR where I parked my car, I think. CAN THEY UNPROGRAM THE LOST KEY, RENDERING IT inoperable?
The process for "programming a new key" invalidates the access of any keys not present, so you can step through that with your remaining key and make the old one useless for anything involving the authentication. Can't be used to drive the car, can't remote unlock or make the car flash lights to find it in a lot, that key won't work to say "yes a valid key was used in the physical lock" check, etc. Whether you get a replacement backup key from the dealer won't affect the programming process much, but it's recommendable. After all, keys do get lost and it would be good to still be able to get in your car if it happens again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
At a dealership here in N. Cal, it cost $100 for the fob and key cut. Dealerships also typically charge to program it but the manual has the steps if you care to DIY.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a used key with a new blade cut and shipped by Coral Springs Locksmith for 85. Instructions came showing by them on how to manually programme the key. I've been using this key for 7 months and am very happy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any two programmed keys will work to program another until you reach the max nmbr if allowed keys for your vehicle.. Some models are as low as eight,you may contact to Lombard Locksmith and they are bet locksmith and provide you awesome locksmithing se3rvice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The process for Canada however is a bit different as they have different legislations affecting the immobilizer. So for Canada you must have in your possession at least TWO previously learned FOBs in order to add additional units , otherwise you will have to visit your dealer to add keys/FOBs.
This is the situation I'm in. Wife lost one of the fobs and we only have one left. I fear calling up any dealership to ask them how much to buy and have them re-program a new fob. :(

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
This is the situation I'm in. Wife lost one of the fobs and we only have one left. I fear calling up any dealership to ask them how much to buy and have them re-program a new fob. :(
Yea that sucks. But if it's any consolation, a recent bulletin from GM indicates they are going to the "must have TWO present" format like Canada for many models in 2017.
Sort of makes the entire process redundant (given you are only supplied 2 keys/FOBS with the car)
I suppose this is keeping these cars from being a target for thieves but...
WOT

·
Registered
8 Posts
The cost for replacing your volt keys can differ and I am mostly speaking from experience that I gathered from talking to dealerships and reading a few things online. From what I can tell, the dealership might be one of the more expensive options no matter which way you cut it. Aside from cutting the key, the dealership will also have to program it to your volt. As someone mentioned above, if you read the manual you should be able to DIY it. Losing a key in the past really taught me to value having a spare key at all times, which is something that was reinforced in an article I was reading the other day (http://united-locksmith.net/blog/why-everyone-needs-a-spare-car-key). Having a spare key on hand will help, but if not you can always try other avenues apart from the dealership. Try to do-it-yourself or contact a locksmith to help you out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts