GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I didn鈥檛 think it possible but I locked myself out of our 2015 Gen-1. Now this might be a known issue but it was new to me. Our other car, the wife鈥檚 2015 Honda CRV is physically impossible to lock the vehicle with the remote in the car. It beeps and protests until you remove the remote.

I have our Volt set so that the audible horn alert if you close the door with the remote still in the car. Annoying as it may, I have just left it that way. The other night, I am carrying my work bags out to the car to head home. I have my remote clipped to my bag as I approach the rear hatch and activate the rear hatch lock by pressing the two small buttons tucked under the rear lip. To be clear, I did not push the unlock button on the remote. The rear hatch unlocks due to the proximity sensor with the remote clipped to my bag on my shoulder, I open the rear hatch, place the bags in the back then close the rear lid. As the lid closed, the horn fires off to alert me that the remote was detected inside the passenger area of the car. I don鈥檛 think too much about it until I go to reopen the rear hatch.

I press the little buttons under the rear lid....... and nothing happens. The car is still locked and the remote is still clipped to my bag inside the rear passenger compartment area. I attempt to open the rear doors by pushing the button on the door.....nothing. The car is not cooperating in any way.

I then recall that my Onstar app allows me to unlock the car remotely. So I access the app, unlock the car and be on my merry way.

I laugh about it now but had I not had the app installed and an active account, my only result would have been AAA.

As I mentioned, this might be old news to many of you, but if any new owners read this, don鈥檛 make the same mistake I did. I am not sure if this is just a glitch in the system that I by chance just discovered.

Cheers

If anyone else has experienced a way to accidentally lock themselves out, please comment below so we are all informed.

Administrator
It beeps and protests until you remove the remote.
The Volt and Bolt will both beep at you if you shut the door with the key inside.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The Volt and Bolt will both beep at you if you shut the door with the key inside.
Yeah, that鈥檚 why I was surprised it locked me completely out. I still haven鈥檛 seen anything in the owners manual regarding that, especially in the rear hatch area.

Bottom line, it was totally my fault. Just think that could be a future issue if I was in a pinch. A perfect storm scenario or just a plain anomaly and there are still unknowns. Thinking of one possibility is if the battery in the remote is low, could or would that effect the proximity sensor. To be safe, I did replace the battery in the remote, but that was only a guess.

Registered
That's good information, and it makes sense when you think about it.

Hatch access while the car is locked is sort of exceptional, in that it temporarily ignores the car's locked status to let you in. By letting you in without unlocking the car, it simply can't intervene before the hatch is closed.

Registered
There is a vehicle setting under "power door locks" called "Open Door Anti Lock Out" that you can turn on or off. Unfortunately the owner's manual does not give a good description of exactly what that does under various circumstances. I assume it is to somehow keep you from getting locked out, but I am not sure if it works for the hatch in the scenario described above.

Registered
I remember this happening to me although the weird thing is, it unlocked the drivers side door when it "triple honked".

I just got to my car after a work trip (airport), still had my transponder in my backpack, and of course used the convenient hatch release button and put my bag in the trunk. Closed the trunk, the car triple honked complained, and i knew instantly i was in trouble. Rear hatch was locked, back passenger doors were locked, but when I got to the drivers door it was unlocked. I knew I had on-star as a backup though.

Did you try the driver's door?

Registered
My key never leaves my pocket unless I'm walking away to lock it or walking up to it to lock it so locking keys in the car will never happen. Best way to prevent getting locked outside the car.

Registered
This exact same scenario happened to me once too. The key fell out of my pocket and in between the center console and the driver's seat. Didn't know it was still in the car until I returned. Luckily I could use the app to open it. Hasn't happened again, probably a fluke.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a vehicle setting under "power door locks" called "Open Door Anti Lock Out" that you can turn on or off. Unfortunately the owner's manual does not give a good description of exactly what that does under various circumstances. I assume it is to somehow keep you from getting locked out, but I am not sure if it works for the hatch in the scenario described above.
Good point to check the settings to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I remember this happening to me although the weird thing is, it unlocked the drivers side door when it "triple honked".

I just got to my car after a work trip (airport), still had my transponder in my backpack, and of course used the convenient hatch release button and put my bag in the trunk. Closed the trunk, the car triple honked complained, and i knew instantly i was in trouble. Rear hatch was locked, back passenger doors were locked, but when I got to the drivers door it was unlocked. I knew I had on-star as a backup though.

Did you try the driver's door?
I could have sworn that I did but who knows at this point. When I get home I will run the same scenario to see if it does unlock.

If it didn鈥檛 unlock the driver鈥檚 door, I wonder if it could then point back to a weak remote battery. Unsure now.....since my old tired remote battery was replaced

Registered
I could have sworn that I did but who knows at this point. When I get home I will run the same scenario to see if it does unlock.
I'm going to give it a try too. Except I'm going to do it with all the windows rolled down!! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did the 鈥渢est鈥 and the driver鈥檚 door unlocked. I might have halfassed my check of the door when I initially locked the remote in the rear hatch.

Unfortunately the old battery has been recycled and it is obviously a case of week battery, weak attempt to open the driver鈥檚, or a rare solar flair that caused the anomaly........who knows.

Registered
I tried locking my fob in the trunk as well (window open as a backup). The car triple honked and unlocked the driver's door. I don't know if this is related to the "open door anti lock out" setting, but mine is on.

This feature depends on the car being able to sense the fob, so yeah, I think there are a few things that could make it fail, like maybe a weak fob battery or something interfering with the signal, like the fob being placed in exactly the wrong spot in the trunk, etc.

One of my golden rules of driving has always been to never put the key in the trunk for any reason, but I could see how it could happen by accident if you need to put the key in a duffel bag at some point, especially with this car where you don't need to handle the key to open the hatch before putting your bags inside.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.