GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my 17 Volt just used gas for the first time. I just turned 1750 km and had to use 0.5L yesterday. What an awesome car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It is an amazing vehicle indeed! What is average range are you getting on your Volt?
I'm picking up my 2017 tonight which replaces my 2012 Red Volt. I expect the range increase of about 50% 2017 vs 2012.
On my 2012 Volt I was getting close to 80km on a full charge in the summer. My record between fillups was just over 10,000km last summer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You two are rock stars. I'm finally up to 101kms on a full charge, but my stats are all pretty tame because I did a few Kingston and Hamilton day trips in there... and plus I drove like a banshee for weeks with all that torque. I can't crack 9kms per kWh yet, but I'm working on it!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have been hypermiling at the start when I got my 2012 Volt and was able to charge only at the office (was living in condo). Once I moved to the house and got ability to charge at home I could not resist putting all that torque to work every time I had a chance.
It is a pure joy driving in Sport mode & "L".

·
Registered
902 Posts
I envy those of you who can afford to purchase a 2017 Volt. I am looking forward to many more advancements and variety of models during the next decade.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I drive 105 km a day on a single charge. In the morning Im lucky going down the 400 from hwy 9 there is a lot of traffic so my average speed is between 70-95kph. On the way home I keep it at 95kph in the right lane. I used to get off at hwy 9 to go back to Newmarket and get home on a single charge and have 1-2km left in the guess-o-meter, but instead I get off at Aurora side Rd and use all of the hills to my advantage to regen to the max! I hypermile this car to no end. I can make my daily commute of 105km and have 7-8km left on the guess-o-meter. Todays trip I had 7km left on the guess-o-meter and used 13.5 KW. Yesterday was the first day I used fuel because the highway was wet. I didn't realize that there would be so much resistance on the road just from rain. Who knew??

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice range! Way better than MY 2012. Wet weather does take way more energy to fight the resistance. BTW, I pumped up the tires to 40PSI which adds up a few miles to the total range. Their recommended pressure I believe is way too low. I'm driving down DVP every morning in the traffic and since I got Volt I do not mind traffic that much any more. Going South on DVP is pretty much all the way downhill and results in very low energy consumption. Driving up North is another story. My round trip to the office is 85km. Wanna see if I can make home-office-home-office on a single charge. That will be my new challenge. Total should be around 128km.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I envy those of you who can afford to purchase a 2017 Volt. I am looking forward to many more advancements and variety of models during the next decade.
One of the reasons I decided to upgrade was the new rebate Ontario government is giving out for the 2017 Volt Premier in amount of $12,747 (up from $8,243 I got for my 2012 Volt 4 years ago). And the best part is that this rebate is applied to the bill of sale in full. No need to wait for the next tax season.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Sweet deal up there indeed. Wish more of the states here participated. VA does not, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
It is an awesome car. I'm taking it to the dealer Friday for a recall, but the dealer couldn't believe that my oil life is still 75% with almost 10K Kilometers. I still have the same tank of gas that the car came with 7 months ago and have roughly 15 liters left so I can travel 260 kilometers. I really enjoy this car more so than my Prius, which I thought was an excellent car.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Heyeph - 80 miles is fantastic. The most I've seen so far is 66.

·
Registered
921 Posts
... the dealer couldn't believe that my oil life is still 75% with almost 10K Kilometers. I still have the same tank of gas that the car came with 7 months ago and have roughly 15 liters left so I can travel 260 kilometers...
Two things.

Plan on changing the oil at the 2 year point.
Plan on the fuel being deemed about to go stale at 12 months if you have not used it all by then.

My first 3 fuel adds were 11 liters, spaced a year apart. I've since changed my driving pattern and have been using a bit more per year now. Less overall distance, but longer trips sprinkled into the mix.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It is an awesome car. I'm taking it to the dealer Friday for a recall, but the dealer couldn't believe that my oil life is still 75% with almost 10K Kilometers. I still have the same tank of gas that the car came with 7 months ago and have roughly 15 liters left so I can travel 260 kilometers. I really enjoy this car more so than my Prius, which I thought was an excellent car.
I just dropped my 2017 Volt at the Dealer for a check engine light. While talking to the Service Dept. reps (not the techs), they were in disbelief that I was getting over 70 miles of EV range, and that I've gone 1500 miles on less than 2 gallons of gas.

·
Registered
251 Posts
And here I thought that 110 km was good!

Can't wait to get my '17 Premier to see how well I can do. Thanks for setting the bar, guys.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is interesting. Yesterday on my first full day with 2017 Volt Premier I only managed to drive 88.5km and used 14.1kWh of battery with only 3km left to go. I would say I was trying my best to drive efficiently with climate controls in Eco. I was expecting more. Will see how it goes once it "breaks in".

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just dropped my 2017 Volt at the Dealer for a check engine light. While talking to the Service Dept. reps (not the techs), they were in disbelief that I was getting over 70 miles of EV range, and that I've gone 1500 miles on less than 2 gallons of gas.
I'm telling you snorth...people don't know about this car or understand it. Everyone I speak to has so many questions.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Two things.

Plan on changing the oil at the 2 year point.
Plan on the fuel being deemed about to go stale at 12 months if you have not used it all by then.

My first 3 fuel adds were 11 liters, spaced a year apart. I've since changed my driving pattern and have been using a bit more per year now. Less overall distance, but longer trips sprinkled into the mix.
That's good to know. I didn't really think about the stale gas. I thought the car automatically burns it off if it's getting too old? I don't plan on filling the tank up when I do need gas. I'll just put enough to last 6 months or so. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
That's good to know. I didn't really think about the stale gas. I thought the car automatically burns it off if it's getting too old? I don't plan on filling the tank up when I do need gas. I'll just put enough to last 6 months or so. Thanks for the info.
The manual recommends keeping about three gallons in the tank if you don't burn fuel much. That seems a pretty decent compromise between aging and carrying around useless weight, and ari_c's "Gas? What's that for?" method.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts