GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 11 new (and free) public EV charging stations around town here. That's the good news; the bad news is that all too often they're occupied by ICE vehicles. I'm guessing it's because the spaces are closest to to the business these drivers want to frequent, but the spaces are clearly marked 'EV Parking Only.' :mad:

In July I won't be bothered by this at all because that's when they'll start charging $2/hour for a charge, but for right now, it's FREE and I feel like I'm really missing out.

I'll bet that the police will start ticketing the non-EV drivers in July when the city starts losing revenue on these spaces but for now, they don't seem to care and it's driving me crazy. :mad:

I just had to get it off my chest.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'd figure out who is responsible for the charging stations' maintenance and complain to them. Most of them care more than you'd think they do and may not be aware of how bad it is.

·
Registered
194 Posts
There are 11 new (and free) public EV charging stations around town here. That's the good news; the bad news is that all too often they're occupied by ICE vehicles. I'm guessing it's because the spaces are closest to to the business these drivers want to frequent, but the spaces are clearly marked 'EV Parking Only.' :mad:
We have a bunch of these floating around in all our cars for, you know, emergencies. :)

http://www.zazzle.com/you_suck_at_parking_leave_under_wiper_blade_business_card-240973273195311579

- Mark

·
Registered
605 Posts
strangeengine, I was thinking the same, however, I would use something that would inform them they parked in a spot intended as a public ELECTRIC VEHICLE charging station. It would be like us parking our Volts at a gas station and leaving them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
strangeengine, I was thinking the same, however, I would use something that would inform them they parked in a spot intended as a public ELECTRIC VEHICLE charging station. It would be like us parking our Volts at a gas station and leaving them.
I realize that - I just think the cards are funny.

Really, we need some that are more EV-specific.

- Mark

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have got to get me some of those!
A new building across from my gym recently put in four charging stations, all marked interestingly with "Hybrid Vehicles Only."

Lately, every time I go to charge there are one or two vehicles parked there. And they are never cars. It's a combination of a Dodge Ram, Ford Expedition and Chevy Suburban that are always parked in the charging station parking spaces.

It has never been a problem for me, because there are four chargers, but I really think these bozos are trying to make a statement with their gas guzzlers. Especially since they are always American brands. I just have to wonder if these bozos ever wonder where their gas comes from...and what they have thought when they came out and saw an American car using American fuel.

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
In July I won't be bothered by this at all because that's when they'll start charging $2/hour for a charge, but for right now, it's FREE and I feel like I'm really missing out.
Would you pay $8 ($2x4) to fill your Volt? That's $6.90 more than I pay at home and more expensive than running the Volt on gas.

At $4/gal and 37 MPG, gas would give you 74 miles of range ($8/$4=2 gal x 37) compared to the best case 50 miles you'd be paying $8 for.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Would you pay $8 ($2x4) to fill your Volt?
That's a really good question, and I think the answer for most is "no". I happened to talk with the person who put in four charging stations (they're Chargepoints) at a new building, and he said he would never recoup his lawyer's fees to start charging $'s for charging, so he plans to just run them for free.

I really have to wonder about the business model for making money for charging. Even at $2/hour, that is the maximum potential revenue from a charging station. Unlike something like a vending machine, which may stand idle for hours at a time, but in a few minutes can generate $100+ in revenue, a charging station, at best, can only generate about 3 cents per minute. How does that ever make financial sense?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think the thought process behind charging stations is that it will bring people in to spend money that might otherwise go elsewhere. Some people think they can actually make their money back on them and try to charge a fee that they think will eventually see a return. Ironically probably netting them, and their business, less money because the charging station no longer plays a role in most people's trip planning. Because it doesn't make sense to pay for it. And BEV owners won't plan a trip around the assumption that they'll be able to charge up pubically at the far end.

So offering them for free is really probably the smart thing to do. The couple dollars per day that a charging station might bring won't outweigh the extra customers that offering it for free will attract. Even if it's already in use or has an ICE vehicle in it, EV owners will show up just for the chance to charge up for free. But it seems like few people see the big picture there. One extra customer will likely make up for the cost of a whole day of electricity.

Besides, most EV owners have more disposible income than the average person (you don't have to be rich to have disposible income). Which is just the type of person you would want to attract to your business with a small give-away like some free electrons.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The only way it makes financial sense it to advertise the charging stations as a free available service and let the additional business that comes with having them make it worthwhile. In Northern Virginia, the Pentagon City mall has four free charging stations. I live equally close to this mall and several others. I will now do my shopping at Pentagon City and not Tyson's Corner, Ballston, ... So, these malls will lose out on several hundred dollars of my businesss for the sake of a measley $2 EV charging fee.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The only way it makes financial sense it to advertise the charging stations as a free available service and let the additional business that comes with having them make it worthwhile. In Northern Virginia, the Pentagon City mall has four free charging stations. I live equally close to this mall and several others. I will now do my shopping at Pentagon City and not Tyson's Corner, Ballston, ... So, these malls will lose out on several hundred dollars of my businesss for the sake of a measley $2 EV charging fee.
Exactly. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would you pay $8 ($2x4) to fill your Volt? That's $6.90 more than I pay at home and more expensive than running the Volt on gas.

At $4/gal and 37 MPG, gas would give you 74 miles of range ($8/$4=2 gal x 37) compared to the best case 50 miles you'd be paying $8 for.
To answer your question; of course I wouldn't, and that's why in my OP I said that I won't be bothered about these ICE's being parked in these spaces in July because that's when the city will start charging $2/Hr. to use the chargers (and I won't be parking there then.)

·
Registered
411 Posts
It seems that most of the chargers around Burbank/Hollywood are not free. Most of them in Orange County area are still free woohoo! I've heard from word of mouth they won't start charging for EV access until the end of 2014.

In the mean time, I'll support the local economy that offers free charging stations. In the 50 or so times I've been using free public charging, I've only seen ONE other EV which was a leaf. Where is everyone else and what is up with Orange County?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
We have a bunch of these floating around in all our cars for, you know, emergencies. :)

http://www.zazzle.com/you_suck_at_parking_leave_under_wiper_blade_business_card-240973273195311579

- Mark
I wouldn't try that down here. Texas is a right to carry state.

However, most of the spaces are on private property, so if the store owner wants to protect his investment, he just has to sign up with a towing company (free to the businessman) and post towaway signs.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Some towing companies actually give the owners a bonus for every tow. Even though I think that's illegal here in Minnesota, I know for a fact it happens. People get caught from time to time.

·
Registered
529 Posts

+++ I am so sickened by this public charging station scam - mostly funded by taxpayer $$$. Pretty soon the media is going to figure out that charging stations are pricing at 2-3x the price of gasoline and start pounding electric cars for their high cost. We will have a bunch of worthless, high cost, over-engineered stations dotting the country.

Dual fuel - its the only way to go!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
All states are right to carry states - 2nd amendment. Most are "shall issue" states for concealed carry. Records show that people with CCW licenses are responsible for far fewer violent crimes than the population at large. I wouldn't think Texas much different. Bush didn't want to sign the "shall issue" law when it came before him as governor, but he did - and crime went down.

Ask any felon, they'll tell you - if you're going to commit a crime, first, get out of Texas. They're not real nice to criminals there.

·
Registered
486 Posts
In the charging stations at BWI airport and Penn Station in Baltimore, which I use on a regular basis, gas powered vehicles that park in the charging station slots get towed. As a result the spaces are always available for EVs.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts