GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2017 and I have been just using the factory charging cord using Chris's suggestions for 240 volts. Works great!

But I decided I needed to preserve the factory cord and purchase a dedicated home charger. I went on Amazon and bought a Clipper Creek LCS-20. I installed it myself, just tying into the 240 receptacle previously installed for the earlier charge cord. It seems to work fine and it should charge even quicker than the factory cord, although I haven't confirmed that yet.

Anybody else using this or other CC products?

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I own a 2017 and I have been just using the factory charging cord using Chris's suggestions for 240 volts. Works great!

But I decided I needed to preserve the factory cord and purchase a dedicated home charger. I went on Amazon and bought a Clipper Creek LCS-20. I installed it myself, just tying into the 240 receptacle previously installed for the earlier charge cord. It seems to work fine and it should charge even quicker than the factory cord, although I haven't confirmed that yet.

Yes, I have a CC LCS-20P with NEMA 14-50 connector installed for almost 2 years now with no issues. Ok, in the interest of full disclosure the CC EVSE is very sensitive to noise on the ground connection. I determined my Craftsman leaf blower was causing a power fault light to come on the EVSE. This happens every time I use my leaf blower on any 120V circuit in my home. The fault clears after ~20 minutes.

·
Registered
146 Posts

I have a 2013 Volt and I purchased an LCS-25 from another forum member. It's identical to the LCS-20 except for the wattage (4.8 Kw vs. 3.8 Kw). In my case, since the Volt is limited to 3.3 Kw of charging, I don't use the full capacity. I have a hardwired version wired up to a welder plug. I got the hardwired version and higher wattage rating since I plan on moving in the next couple of years and would like to take it with me, and eventually upgrading to a used Tesla Model 3 in another 5-10. I absolutely love mine and I expect it to outlive the car (and hopefully my next one!) Even though the casing is plastic, it feels more rugged than most plastic products. Mine is currently inside the garage (I park just outside the garage), but I plan to install conduit outside so that I can charge more flexibly. There is a very solid "Thunk" when the relay inside the unit switches on, which to me says quality. In the morning before I leave for work, I go into the laundry room adjacent to the garage to hit the precondition button on the key, and I know it was successful by hearing the "thunk" of the charger being switched back on. Other than that, it's just worked. I like that there's no fan necessary, and the wiring was pretty straightforward with the instructions. I'm happy I chose it over a cheap no-name brand unit on Amazon or eBay.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have had a CC for a few years now. I am actually on my second unit because my first was malfunctioning, not charging. I explained the light codes to customer service and I could tell it was a known problem by his reaction. He knew exactly what it was (something was wrong with some of their gray colored, older units) and they immediately shipped me out a new one (black housing) and I sent back the defective unit. Customer service was awesome, made in USA, customer service in USA and all around great customer experience even though I had a bad copy first time around. Would not hesitate buying from CC again in the future should the need arise in the future. Also check out the reviews on Amazon, very happy customers all around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts