GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I paid $110 plus $7.33 in shipping purchased thru tire rack.
I seems a waste to buy something so expensive and not use it much so if anyone is in the area of Anderson they are welcome to drive over to use it. I have considered lending it to people that are not near Anderson if they would be willing to offer a security deposit of $120, but when you consider the cost of shipping and trying to keep track of who I lent it to, it does not seem worth the trouble.

Here is the deal the use of the tool is free and you can even hook up your car to my 240 volt charger and I will even drop you off at a local buffet all you can eat restaurant where we both can have some lunch (we each pay for our own meal) where we can talk about our wonderful Volts while your car charges. I also have an air compressor if you need to use it rather than using the compressor that came with the car

By the way I don't know if anyone recalls that I mentioned I was planning on trading my 2012 Volt for a new 2013 Volt a couple months ago but a few things came up that forced me to postpone my plans. The car is almost 13 months old with about 6,000 miles on it and when I get things all straightened out with a house I am selling in NY I would like to give someone on this forum a chance to buy the car or take over the lease rather than turn a very low milage car well cared for car over to the dealer. Heck by the time things get sorted out the new electric Cadillac my be available, I may wind up with a Caddy.

The car only has a 100 MPG life time because I drove it up to NY last March, other than that trip the car has been run on almost %100 electric.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I guess I should mention that I do not check into this forum very often so you will have better luck with an email rather than a personal message

By the way lunch is optional you can just hop into your car and drive back or I can drop you off at a local mall so you can shop whle your car charges up. I live 3 miles from Sam's / Walmart and 4 miles from the Anderson Mall

PS I tried using the magnet method and letting air out of the tire it did not work.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Could you help us (or at least me) understand the benefit/usefulness of this tool vis-a-vis the Chevy Volt?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could you help us (or at least me) understand the benefit/usefulness of this tool vis-a-vis the Chevy Volt?
If you rotate the tires (I don't) you need the tool to tell the monitoring system the new tire position.

I had a defective valve stem that was loosing air, the dealer replaced it free without an appointment. I was in a hurry and drove off without getting the tires retrained, I have heard the some tire stores charge as much as $20 to reset the TPMS when you rotate the tires.

By the way all new cars are required by law to have a TPMS. Large trucks are excluded so I bought an add on TPMS for my truck.

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Even after googling that model # and finding http://www.ateq-tpms.com/TPMS-tool-ATEQVT15.php I still don't know what the heck that thing is. lol
The valve stem inside each tire contains a mini transmitter. Each transmitter sends a coded signal that is displayed showing the pressure of each tire on your dashboard. If for some reason the valve stem needs to be replaced, or you change position of the tires by rotating them, or changing over to snow tires you need a way of telling the TPMS computer in your dashboard what the new location of the tires are. If you do not do this the correct tire pressure will not be displayed when you dial on to that screen and it will not warn you when you tire pressure is low.

PS if you rotate the tires your self you need the tool, if you pay to have the tires rotated they may add as much as $20 extra.to re-train the transmitters.

Some people have and extra set of wheels with snow tires mounted on them, when they do a seasonal change over twice a year they need to re-train the transmitter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts