GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I like it. The install was not to bad it took about 30 min to do it.
The GM credit card has a deal. Spend over $100 for parts and get 100 off. This kit cost me $106 OTD.
(You have to buy the part at list cost)
Not to bad.
20171223_111454.jpg

A night shot.
20171223_175945.jpg

The install is the same as others have posted but 2018 wiring is a little different
8 is the top left.
20171223_215947s.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure why you had to buy it. I was told to bring my 2016 back three weeks after I got it, and they installed it at no charge.
Was it on your window sticker and not installed by your dealer? This is a dealer installed item so maybe the saw the forgot to install it on your car and called you back in to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When does the charge port light up: when the door opens or when plugged in? I could use some lighting to plug in by cord when its dark out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can you point me toward where I can find installation instructions for a 2018 Volt? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
For $60 bucks I installed a motion sensor light. Not only does it light up my charge port but the whole car port area, turns off when I leave and turns on when I come home (if it's dark). Cat's meow.

·
Registered
518 Posts
For $60 bucks I installed a motion sensor light. Not only does it light up my charge port but the whole car port area, turns off when I leave and turns on when I come home (if it's dark). Cat's meow.
That's not the point, though. The Illuminated Charge Port from Chevy not only helps by lighting a ring around the port so you can more easily align the charger cable in low light, but also indicates the charge status and is more visible from the side of the car than the small LED on the dash.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
That's not the point, though. The Illuminated Charge Port from Chevy not only helps by lighting a ring around the port so you can more easily align the charger cable in low light, but also indicates the charge status and is more visible from the side of the car than the small LED on the dash.
Right. Easy to see. Good to have.

Sent from my A3-A30 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
In my experience the illuminated charge port is no big improvement as far as being able to see where to plug in the J1772 connector in the dark. The charge port only stays illuminated for a minute after you turn off the Volt. As far as indicating charge status, you can only see the charge port blinking to indicate charge status when you can see the driver's side whereas you can see the dash charge indicator light from three sides of the vehicle. Even if you can see the driver's side of the Volt the charge port cover can block the view of the indicator light. The indicator light does not stay illuminated once charging has been completed. I do not recommend spending any time or money to add the illuminated charge port unless it was already installed on the vehicle when purchased.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
But you can only see it from front left hand side whereas the dash light can be seen anywhere from the front (as well as other angles). I have no problem seeing the dash light in any light and any Chargepoint chargers I know of are in nicely lit parking lots. It's like trying to justify a pair of dice hanging from the mirror.

·
Registered
897 Posts
But you can only see it from front left hand side whereas the dash light can be seen anywhere from the front (as well as other angles). I have no problem seeing the dash light in any light and any Chargepoint chargers I know of are in nicely lit parking lots. It's like trying to justify a pair of dice hanging from the mirror.
Well I just bought one too, for 50% off at our dealer, on a Costco discount. If it helps in our garage instead of the temporary light setup I have, I'll be happy as a clam. I have yet to install it on our 2018.

The motion sensor light in the carport sounds like a good solution too. We use a trouble light pointed at the charge port. It's hooked up to the door opener in such a way that it goes on and off with the garage door opener light.

We can see the charge station and cable just fine with the opener light, it's just the port itself that's hard to see. A lighted charge port just seems like a more elegant solution than our trouble light clamped to a wall stud.

If it does not improve visibility when plugging in, at least it won't create a blind spot like my fuzzy dice do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
In my experience the illuminated charge port is no big improvement as far as being able to see where to plug in the J1772 connector in the dark. The charge port only stays illuminated for a minute after you turn off the Volt.
After installing the port a few days ago, I found out that opening the driver's door (and maybe any other door) will turn the illumination back on.

·
Registered
897 Posts
After installing the port a few days ago, I found out that opening the driver's door (and maybe any other door) will turn the illumination back on.
We discovered that too, and it helps a bit in the dark, but mostly it just looks cool. We got ours for 50% off with a Costco discount, so for 100 bucks it's a nice if unnecessary touch.

Over the 8-10 years we plan on keeping our Volt, we will probably be plugging it in several thousand times. The cost per time to enjoy the look of our illuminated charge port is pretty small.

We paid extra for Kinetic Blue paint, which of course is totally unnecessary. A few aesthetic touches have value for us beyond practical considerations.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I think it should have been standard. Maybe not as fancy as the optional one, but even a simple little bulb in there could help for night time plug ins. There is a light in the trunk, and one here would be at least as useful. I don't use the trunk every day, but I do use the port every day, and often after dark.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I too completed the installation of my Charging Port Light. Had a lot of assistance from wattsupmtl and he sent me one of his extra lights as the ones I ordered in July, from China, have not made it yet. It is a blue COB light and goes really well with the Kinetic Blue of the car. I tried to U/L a photo of it but I just get an ! and it won't upload.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
That's a good tip. I found that I could also get the Volt to light up the port illumination ring if I pressed the driver's door lock/unlock button, did not have to actually open the door. The port light seemed to stay on longer than the normal ~30 seconds but I did not time it.

[Update: I timed the port light right after I shut off my 2017 Volt, opened the charging port cover. The port light stays illuminated for 45 seconds. I also timed the port light after I pressed the door lock button (the port light should also illuminate if you press the key fob button to lock or unlock the door(s).) When I pressed the door lock button the port light stayed on for a full minute.]

1 - 20 of 33 Posts