GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Then I bought one last month. Once a week or so my neighbors probably hate me when I leave the house at 6 am. But I figure I offset the bike noise by driving the other four days a week in the quietest car possible...

Seriously, I just ordered a new quiet exhaust for the bike. I'm not that jerk.

Such a contrast riding a big loud in-your-face bike, then hopping in my super-smooth noise-free funmobile. Call me schizophrenic.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'm pretty much the same when I drive my Vette instead.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Loud Pipes save lives!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I want an electric motorcycle, plan to convert one in the next year or two.

Being alert on a motorcycle saves lives. Loud pipes are obnoxious more than anything else :)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
i've considered putting a Coffman exhaust (short pipe with a baffle) on my 600. While the sound is fantastic, like a V-10 formula 1, downside is having to wear earplugs because it is really loud. AFAIK, the local cops won't ticket bikes for loud exhausts, they must buy the "loud pipes save lives" theory.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Eh -- I only have a 300 with a Leo Vince` exhaust... it's louder than stock for sure, but doesn't rattle windows or walls or anything like that.

I loved the controllable baffles on my C6 Z06 -- could sneak in or out of the neighborhood without pissing everyone off :p Guessing something like that for a big cruiser bike is rare or expensive though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i've considered putting a Coffman exhaust (short pipe with a baffle) on my 600. While the sound is fantastic, like a V-10 formula 1, downside is having to wear earplugs because it is really loud. AFAIK, the local cops won't ticket bikes for loud exhausts, they must buy the "loud pipes save lives" theory.
Wearing earplugs is a good idea anyway, due to wind noise.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Doesn't the helmet block a lot of the sound? I seem to recall a motorcycle racer who was riding an electric for the first time saying that they were going to put their earplugs in and then realized they didn't need them.

(Now that spring is here and moving to summer, we've been opening the windows at home when possible and "enjoying" the dulcet tones of loud engines. Making traffic quieter is just one of the many benefits that successful electrification would bring.)

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Agree, as I get OLDER I really dislike all the NOISE for the sake of NOISE. Snagged a test ride in a Tesla MS P90D with Ludicrous Mode and the driver would be stopped and chatting and w/o any warning would mash the throttle.

It felt like I was shot out of a cannon. I giggled like a school girl. But the sheer silence followed by the brutal acceleration was enough to make this old 50/60's muscle car gearhead see the light. I have been changed forever.

We don't need no stinking noise to go fast.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Aren't there already enough places to argue this one?
Actually I have experienced this issue. Here in AZ there is a lot of retired people with pretty poor hear still driving around here. I bought an 03 heritage softail, this old lady try to merge me into a curb within the first mile of the drive-away from the dealer. I turned around went back to the dealer and had Vance & Hines pipes installed. I am sure they have since saved my life since the change..

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
My current helmet is a full face Shoei with a chin curtain. It's quiet enough wrt to wind noise.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Actually I have experienced this issue. Here in AZ there is a lot of retired people with pretty poor hear still driving around here. I bought an 03 heritage softail, this old lady try to merge me into a curb within the first mile of the drive-away from the dealer. I turned around went back to the dealer and had Vance & Hines pipes installed. I am sure they have since saved my life since the change..

I have a electra glide classic and the very first thing I did to it was install vance and hines mufflers. it sounds bad ass......

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
That, and letting wildlife know you're coming. That's a big deal in my area.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Agree, as I get OLDER I really dislike all the NOISE for the sake of NOISE. Snagged a test ride in a Tesla MS P90D with Ludicrous Mode and the driver would be stopped and chatting and w/o any warning would mash the throttle.

It felt like I was shot out of a cannon. I giggled like a school girl. But the sheer silence followed by the brutal acceleration was enough to make this old 50/60's muscle car gearhead see the light. I have been changed forever.

We don't need no stinking noise to go fast.
The Rise of the Fake Engine Roar

Faking It: Engine-Sound Enhancement Explained

I share your sentiment about silence > noize. Especially now when most if not all of these so-called 'muscle' cars are relying on nothing more than fake noise generators in order to 'enhance' this noise pollution!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I for once want to get rid of my motorcycle now that we have tasted the pleasure of an electric vehicle with the Volt.

Either replace it with this
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fx/

or may be go even lighter with this
http://www.vectorebike.com/bikes/typhoon-v2-0-10000-watt.html

They basically have the same power to weight ratio (bike plus rider), and the small one you can take on trails :)
Cool electric bikes!:)

Lets not forget 'bout that scouter for 'old farts' either!:p

Isn't it an unwritten rule that whenever there is a new thread created about loud motorcycles on these forums it is mandatory for some idiot to post that old south park relevant video? I got it this time I suppose...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts